Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Citrus333
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Mojo

#1 Old 04-18-2018, 07:30 AM
Beginner

About movies with animals in them

Hello ! Do you visit cinema / watch TV ? What is your attitude towards using Animals in movies ? I remember that my favourite TV show in childhood and teenage years was ,, Komissar Rex " about a police dog . The dog was trained for it . Another thing : actors often eat animal products or wear clothes from animals in it ( same goes to music videos ) and if it is not a movie made by vegans than for sure they will have non-vegan makeup on their faces . I like to watch movies and wonder about other vegans . Thank you for your comments !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2018, 06:14 AM

I avoid movies with animals and try to avoid TV shows with animals. It's harder with TV because I may not know ahead of time that the show or a particular episode includes animals.

As for what they wear... That seems a bit silly to me. Nearly everyone around me wears leather, wool, silk, and otherwise uses non-vegan products. I have no desire to be a hermit. I try to be a good example, not a hammer to others' heads.

That said, your question is interesting and should create some thought. I'm surprised at the lack of responses.
#3 Old 04-20-2018, 05:32 PM
Beginner

Thank you for your reply , I did not suggest to stopped watching TV just wonder if anyone cares about it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-20-2018, 06:15 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlady View Post
Thank you for your reply , I did not suggest to stopped watching TV just wonder if anyone cares about it .
In North American cinema, it's becoming pretty rare to use animals. It can be easier and cheaper to use computer-generated or animatronic animals (especially for animals that are difficult to train).

Gladiator:

The Life of Pi

Jurassic Park:

A mix of CGI animals:

Mr. H. likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 04-22-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlady View Post
I'm puzzled that you would think I interpreted your post that way. I didn't say anything that remotely implied you were suggesting (or even thought) such a thing. I was just expressing my own thoughts, opinions and experiences.

I still think your post should've created more input from other members. It's an interesting and difficult thing to handle at times.
#6 Old 04-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Give peas a chance

I'm vegan and I do not mind seeing animals in movies and tv, unless they are depicted in a demeaning or exploitive way. My favorite sports team would show videos of a monkey doing silly things when they wanted the audience to get excited. I wasn't offended by it, and the monkey wasn't in any harm, but it seemed kind of demeaning. I lost interest in the team and stopped watching. But it was the same monkey that was in the tv show Friends, which I still enjoy now and then. It doesn't bother me his episodes come on.

I like old cowboy westerns, but there are disturbing scenes in many of them. When someone was on a running horse and they wanted to show the person getting shot, they would use a wire to trip the horse and bring it to the ground. Many times the horses had to be shot afterwards because the fall would severely injure them. So that's always disturbing to me, seeing horses fall in old movies. I tune out at that point.
Mr. H. likes this.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#7 Old 04-26-2018, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

There are some negatives. but let's focus on the positives.

All that stuff they used to do to horses is now against the law (or against union rules - or maybe just avoided because of bad PR.)

I always appreciate seeing at the end of the movie a statement stating that "No animals were harmed in the making of this film".
And I just learned that that statement is trademarked by American Humane
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Humane

Then there are all the movies that spotlighted animal cruelty - and not just documentaries. Black Fish and Okja come to mind immediately.

There is also all the movie stars who have used their status as celebrities to speak out against animal cruelty and support veganism. Woody Harelson, Elen Page, and Alicia Silverstone are great examples.
#8 Old 04-28-2018, 06:44 AM

I'm puzzled that you think it's okay to exploit and use other animals for entertainment. All animals who are trained to do things are misused at best, and tortured at worst. These animals aren't doing anything natural or normal for them and they must be trained, trained, trained. I find it abysmally sad. It's never okay to use another animal. It's always for one reason and one reason only: We want to. Just because we can doesn't mean we should. Other beings have the right to live their lives free of interference by humans.

I also wonder how you define veganism in general and how you define it as it relates to you. At the risk of sounding totally obnoxious, all I can think is that you won't eat them, but you'll use them in other ways.
#9 Old 04-28-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H. View Post
All that stuff they used to do to horses is now against the law (or against union rules - or maybe just avoided because of bad PR.)
Animals are abused regularly in movies and TV. Because something is against the law often has little bearing on real world behaviors.

Quote:
I always appreciate seeing at the end of the movie a statement stating that "No animals were harmed in the making of this film".
And I just learned that that statement is trademarked by American Humane
American Humane is, and always has been, a rubber-stamp organization for the movie industry. There have been, and continue to be, countless animals mistreated and downright tortured for the sake of entertainment. It's a sham organization.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...esnt-mean-much

https://www.nbc26.com/news/national/...f-animal-abuse

It's simply never okay to use other beings for our pleasure. The training involved means these captive animals are forced to do things that are unnatural and usually harmful to them in one way or another. They do not belong to us...they are their own unique selves, with their own lives and purposes that humans should not interfere with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page