Got the flu 4 times this winter - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 02-27-2018, 11:22 PM

Got the flu 4 times this winter

This is my first winter as vegan or vegitarian. I stoped the intake of meat last June and went full vegan in September. which is 6 months ago. Relatively fresh vegen.

Almost everything goes quite well. I lost weight (from 103 to currently 95),and I have much more energy then I ever had in recent years (my family would testify to that).

But.. since november I got the flu 4 times already (writing this post from bed). I think that every time it happened after an (in my standards) intense workout at the gym. I figure that I may be missing something nutritionally but a blood check I made in december shows no absence of B12 or other vitamin, only low blood sugar.

Some nasty viruses have been circulating here in Denmark this winter, but 4 times? I've never had the flu more then once pr. season.

Has anyone been experiencing such a thing in their first vegan year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2018, 12:05 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit Bracha View Post
This is my first winter as vegan or vegitarian. I stoped the intake of meat last June and went full vegan in September. which is 6 months ago. Relatively fresh vegen.

Almost everything goes quite well. I lost weight (from 103 to currently 95),and I have much more energy then I ever had in recent years (my family would testify to that).

But.. since november I got the flu 4 times already (writing this post from bed). I think that every time it happened after an (in my standards) intense workout at the gym. I figure that I may be missing something nutritionally but a blood check I made in december shows no absence of B12 or other vitamin, only low blood sugar.

Some nasty viruses have been circulating here in Denmark this winter, but 4 times? I've never had the flu more then once pr. season.

Has anyone been experiencing such a thing in their first vegan year?

I experienced something similar, but it happened after I'd already been vegan for 11 years. When it happened, I made an appointment with a Registered Dietitian. She had me keep a food diary for a week, in order to allow her to identify any nutritional deficiencies. Her conclusion? Lack of calories! I simply wasn't eating enough, and I didn't realize it. Our entire body, including our brain and immune system, is fueled by calories.

Can I ask your current height? 95 lbs. seems rather light. Is it possible that you, too, are not eating enough to maintain your immune system?

You might find it useful to make an appointment with a local Registered Dietitian who specializes in vegetarian/vegan nutrition. In Denmark, you can find a local RD through the Danish Diet and Nutrition Association: http://www.kost.dk . Or, your physician may be able to refer you to such a person.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 02-28-2018 at 04:46 PM.
#3 Old 03-01-2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Can I ask your current height? 95 lbs. seems rather light. Is it possible that you, too, are not eating enough to maintain your immune system?
The weight lose I mentioned was in kilograms (from 103 to currently 95kg.) and my height in 183 cm. so I'm still concedered overweight if BMI can be taken as refference.
My immune system must be weakened somehow and I can't think of any apparent reason appart from switching to vegan diet, which I'm defenetly not going to give up, but I probably need to take up your suggestion and consult a diatry expert on this.
I'm planning on taking a vaccine next year because I don't want to gå through this ordeal again. That would be the first time in almost 20 years i've be getting one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-01-2018, 06:52 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit Bracha View Post
The weight lose I mentioned was in kilograms (from 103 to currently 95kg.) and my height in 183 cm. so I'm still concedered overweight if BMI can be taken as refference.
My immune system must be weakened somehow and I can't think of any apparent reason appart from switching to vegan diet, which I'm defenetly not going to give up, but I probably need to take up your suggestion and consult a diatry expert on this.
I'm planning on taking a vaccine next year because I don't want to gå through this ordeal again. That would be the first time in almost 20 years i've be getting one.
Hi Amit,

Arg, sorry for my kg/lb mistake - we Americans are one of the few nations that refuse to adopt the SI metric system.

Yes, please consider having a dietitian review your diet.

Also, getting the flu 4 times in 1 year is very serious, as you know. The flu is potentially life-threatening! Please see your physician.

I get a flu shot every year.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 03-01-2018, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been vegan for a long time and haven't gotten a flu shot (I know. I'm stupid AND lazy)
but I haven't had the flu yet this year. I think it has more to do with me not being around anyone who had the flu.
#6 Old 03-01-2018, 07:08 PM
Give peas a chance

Gyms = germs.
People sweat all over the equipment and even if they wipe it down afterwards, germs remain. Then you use it, and get infected by touching your face, eyes, mouth.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Tags
Vegan , vegan advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page