Flavouring seitan made with all purpose flour - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 12-14-2017, 03:51 PM

Flavouring seitan made with all purpose flour

Hi everyone,

It's a struggle for me to vital wheat gluten where I live currently. I've seen sooooo many recipes where seitan is made with wheat gluten and is flavoured at the initial kneading stage (e.g. vegetable purees, tomato paste, herbs and spices). I've even seen chickpea flour added to improve the texture I guess. However, when using all purpose flour, all this is washed out after the soaking phase.

Could I add these ingredients after soaking and washing the dough? It seems like it would be a struggle to get these ingredients mixed into the slippery ball that's left after washing out all the starch...please help!

Thanks,
Nicole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-15-2017, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Nicole Veg, interesting question. I'd use a nice big bowl and just get your fingers in there. Liquid seasonings would be really tricky to work in, so I'd go for dry stuff like dried herbs, vegetable bouillon powder, chilli flakes, garlic powder. Stretch/flatten out your rubbery dough and sprinkle the seasonings over freely, then knead it in. That's how I'd go about it. Worth a try anyway. If you have a food mixer with a dough hook, that might be another option.
Let us know how you get on.
#3 Old 12-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

I belong to a facebook group- the seitan appreciation society- and this question came up. Everyone seemed to agree that making seitan by washing the starch from flour gets it's flavor from a strong simmer broth. I've only seen one video of the process and it didn't seem like you'd be able to incorporate seasoning by the time you got to kneading it.

Where are you? Is gluten something you can't order online?

I've love to hear about your experience making it from scratch!
Spudulika likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-18-2017, 11:49 AM

Agree -- the simmer broth becomes much more relevant in terms of flavor. Tanya Petrovna formerly of the Native Foods chain makes her seitan with AP flour so she may have some recipes online.

If any of the online grocers will reach you, you can find wheat gluten pretty easily online.

Tags
seitan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page