Thoughts on killing bugs - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 PM

Thoughts on killing bugs

I try my best not to kill insects and other creepy crawlies. In actuality, I find them to be great and absolutely fascinating. However, since I live in Australia, there are a lot of dangerous spiders lurking about. I don't know what to do when I encounter one that can cause harm. On the one hand, I have no right to kill them, especially when they haven't done anything, but on the other, I don't want them to bite my cat, or any of my family members. There was a white tail spider on the ceiling of my bedroom, and I couldn't reach so I got my dad to do it. He flushed it down the toilet, and man, I felt guilty about it. Sometimes, I feel really silly about it. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2017, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

First off, I've never lived where I needed to worry about anything poisonous! I would think I would treat them as anyone that threatened my health or the health of others, so yes, I would do everything to repel them from entering my home, removing or yes killing them

Here I just use peppermint spray and seal as much of the entrances as possible
I did have a very short lived episode with bed bugs. Placed something in a garage sale on my bed, next couple nights my cats pointed them out and I hired an exterminator. I know that's a different scenario, but in cases where they would breed in the home get it over as soon as possible!

Are there repellents you use?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 11-23-2017, 09:15 PM

I use sage to repel bugs. It seems to work pretty well, as I'm currently living in a basement apartment and since I started sprinkling the sage around, I haven't seen any.

Mostly I don't bother the spiders and they don't bother me. But if I saw a spider I KNEW was dangerous to me or my cat, I would take immediate action and not be dainty about it, removing it from my environment. If I could not do so safely, I would kill it, as a last resort. That would be a violation of my personal beliefs, but I am not yet perfect.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

Last edited by AspiringBuddha; 11-23-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-18-2017, 03:55 PM

Most I can generally live with but if I can't, I catch them and they go outdoors. Fruit flies get lured into a trap first, and then released outside. The only times I go on a bug killing spree is when they threaten my dogs, and that means:

1. Fleas. They just have to be killed dead dead dead. Dead. If I ever see one on my babies, I will hunt it and kill it dead.

2. Ants. If it's extremely hot out they'll find their way inside looking for the dogs' food bowls...and that's rude. So they must be eradicated. Unfortunately it's too hard to catch and release hundreds of ants, so they get sprayed with this orange oil stuff that seems to work fine.

Wasps sometimes build nests on our front porch, but they're great garden helpers and they keep door-to-door salespeople away. I've never had one even land on me.
#5 Old 12-18-2017, 05:28 PM

No! it's not good they end in water 'as their particles may be origins of other insects. So we have to kill them as they are very dangerous for our health and Vegans do need hygienic prevention even more than vegetarians. If you are a collector you may spray them so we'll laugh watching new versions of Nightmare before Christmas .. sometimes ;-) In Italy we use geranium to keep them off; my cats didn't eat them, only the smell keep them actually away :-) Here in Cph I think rosengeranium is quite effective; or other very spiced herbs like rosmarin or thyme may also be useful. But you shouldn't let insects get contact with you as they may enter in your body, somehow survive and develop malformations. Good luck and if u use more than one herb, start little by little cleaning the ambient and make sure there are none visible left

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page