Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 4 Post By oldmanveggie
  • 2 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By AspiringBuddha

#1 Old 10-24-2017, 09:05 PM
Beginner

Restaurants you still visit since becoming vegan

No doubt many of us have changed our eating habits when it comes to eating out. Places we used to go regularly, we now avoid due to our vegan lifestyle.

However, some eateries have made it easy to transition to becoming vegan.

What are some places that you still continue to patronize? Yes, I realize it's not the healthiest but sometimes I am not that strict of a vegan.

Anyways, here are some places I still frequent:

- Chipotle. This place is unique because I ate there during my three dietary phases. Before I followed any diet, I ate pretty much everything on the menu except for pork. But pile on the meat, rice, sour cream, and beans. Then I did keto after that, and no rice or beans just meat and sour cream and guacamole. And now as a vegan I eat the rice, beans, and sofritas with guac.

- Taco Bell/Del Taco. Both these places have multiple vegan options with various bean dishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-24-2017, 11:07 PM
Vegan since 1991

Yep, Del Taco and Taco Bell are fantastic. Those signs are like beacons of vegan hunger.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 10-24-2017 at 11:10 PM.
#3 Old 10-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

I find I'm able to go to almost any restaurant in my city and find something to eat. I think we have more veg options here than most places though.

Even Denny's has a vegan burger now surprisingly enough, and you can even get avocado chunks and Sriracha on it, heaven! I love Chipotle too, their sofritas burrito is insane. I believe the one in the US isn't vegan because of egg whites but here in Canada Subway has a vegan patty that is delicious, falafel too.
Jasminedesi16 and David3 like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
I find I'm able to go to almost any restaurant in my city and find something to eat. I think we have more veg options here than most places though.

Even Denny's has a vegan burger now surprisingly enough, and you can even get avocado chunks and Sriracha on it, heaven! I love Chipotle too, their sofritas burrito is insane. I believe the one in the US isn't vegan because of egg whites but here in Canada Subway has a vegan patty that is delicious, falafel too.

Canadian Subway has falafel??!!!!

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
#5 Old 10-29-2017, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I've stopped going to fast food places. except for Subway. Never liked Taco Bell, but i went there once after they advertised that they had a vegan menu. I just wanted to show a little support.

I still go to all my favorite Chinese/Asian restaurants. And I go to my favorite Mexican restaurants, and pizza places, I just ask them to leave off the cheese.
#6 Old 11-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Besides the ones mentioned so far, I would add Greek restaurants. They usually have a dish that combines hummus, pita bread (ask for whole wheat) and tabbouleh, etc. They might call it an appetizer plate, but I find it quite satisfying. Watch out not to overdo the the (deep fried) falafels.

To round out the meal, each restaurant may have other options, like soup which could be vegan.

Last edited by Some Guy; 11-01-2017 at 09:12 AM.
#7 Old 11-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Canadian Subway has falafel??!!!!

Yup! It's kind of dry though, the veggie patty is better.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#8 Old 11-04-2017, 04:56 PM

Its hard as hell for me to find vegan options when eating out. Vegetarian? Sure. Vegan? Very rare unless you go to an expensive and classy restaurant downtown where the hipsters live :P. Everything else is BBQ or a steak house. Unless you go to a Mexican restaurant.
#9 Old 11-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
Its hard as hell for me to find vegan options when eating out. Vegetarian? Sure. Vegan? Very rare unless you go to an expensive and classy restaurant downtown where the hipsters live :P. Everything else is BBQ or a steak house. Unless you go to a Mexican restaurant.
Are you in a position where you could move to a more vegan-friendly state? I can personally vouch for the vegan-friendliness of California, Oregon, and Washington.

_________

#10 Old 11-05-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
Be careful with smaller Mexican restaurants, there can be lard in the beans. (Probably not what you wanted to hear, I know.)

In a pinch, I can eat almost anywhere. (Did you know that Olive Garden's minestrone and breadsticks are vegan? The salad isn't unless you hold the croutons and ask for oil and vinegar to dress it.) But eating anywhere and being satisfied can be a little trickier. I've learned to look for non-chain restaurants and then do some calling. Indian, mediterranean, and my personal favorite ethiopian can be very veg-friendly, and also very cost-effective.

But I know the struggle, I live in the Midwest and vegan restaurants are few and far between. However, more and more places are willing to accommodate me if I call ahead. Maybe that would work for you? And at least in my area, cooking at home is ridiculously cheap if I cook vegan, so maybe inviting some friends over for a delicious vegan meal? Or have a good friend come by for some vegan baking?
Jasminedesi16 likes this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#11 Old 11-21-2017, 08:46 AM

In case you don't already know: a great resource to find vegan restaurants on line can by found by Googling "happy cow".

I would post a link, but my post count is not high enough yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page