5Likes
  • 1 Post By poivron
  • 2 Post By Iridium
  • 1 Post By oldmanveggie
  • 1 Post By Symondezyn

#1 Old 07-22-2017, 07:25 PM

I messed up...

Well sorta.

I'm traveling out of state, and today I went to a Chinese restaurant which I went to previously to order a vegan meal, a tofu dish with white rice, that I verified was vegan the last time I ate there.

Well, I went and ordered the same thing again today (kung pao tofu) and even pointed to it on the menu. I picked up my food and when I got back to my car I realized that I was given pork fried rice and an egg roll. I went back into the restaurant and kindly explained the issue and apparently I made the fatal mistake of telling her I wanted the kung pao tofu combo which meant it came with pork fried rice and egg roll.

The fact that I even pointed to the kung pao tofu with white rice apparently wasn't clear enough, but I can understand where the mix up came in. I asked what sense it made to serve a vegetarian meal with pork fried rice, and of course I just got a blank look......... I mean who in the world who is non vegan or non vegetarian would actually get tofu instead of chicken or whatever other meat, and then order pork fried rice with it?

I also couldn't get a refund, due to a giant sign saying "no refunds". So I ended up just having to throw the food away.

I've felt bad about it all day, because even if in some small way and a completely honest mistake, I bought meat and something with egg in it. I've known others whom have made mistakes or whom have accidentally eaten something, but it really sucks to do it myself. I've keep trying to convince myself to just move on because my intentions were good and I didn't mean to order meat.

So far this is the only bad experience I've had at a non vegan restaurant. I only go to a couple that are non vegan and I've established a relationship where I go, so they know I'm vegan and what to make me. I guess this is the danger we can face going to non vegan place, often times the owners and employees have no idea what vegan is, or don't care and can innocently give us something non vegan.

Anyway, just thought I'd vent to others can likely relate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2017, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Certainly no reason to think a tofu dish would be veg'n, unless you specified.
I think my worst experience was at a Pho place. They had a vegetarian section I ordered from, and my soup was served with a side of what I imagined would be a soy sauce. It was fish sauce! At my favorite Thai restaurant they have a nice selection of veg'n foods, but the same ones are also in the regular section because if you order them from there they'll have oyster or fish stock

The communication can be so hard at Chinese restaurants. I love hot sour soup but rarely get it because you never know about the broth. There is one buffet style by me that has labels and it's made with miso mushroom broth. Mostly it's pork or beef

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 07-23-2017, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan4peace View Post
Well sorta.

I'm traveling out of state, and today I went to a Chinese restaurant which I went to previously to order a vegan meal, a tofu dish with white rice, that I verified was vegan the last time I ate there.

Well, I went and ordered the same thing again today (kung pao tofu) and even pointed to it on the menu. I picked up my food and when I got back to my car I realized that I was given pork fried rice and an egg roll. I went back into the restaurant and kindly explained the issue and apparently I made the fatal mistake of telling her I wanted the kung pao tofu combo which meant it came with pork fried rice and egg roll.

The fact that I even pointed to the kung pao tofu with white rice apparently wasn't clear enough, but I can understand where the mix up came in. I asked what sense it made to serve a vegetarian meal with pork fried rice, and of course I just got a blank look......... I mean who in the world who is non vegan or non vegetarian would actually get tofu instead of chicken or whatever other meat, and then order pork fried rice with it?

I also couldn't get a refund, due to a giant sign saying "no refunds". So I ended up just having to throw the food away.

I've felt bad about it all day, because even if in some small way and a completely honest mistake, I bought meat and something with egg in it. I've known others whom have made mistakes or whom have accidentally eaten something, but it really sucks to do it myself. I've keep trying to convince myself to just move on because my intentions were good and I didn't mean to order meat.

So far this is the only bad experience I've had at a non vegan restaurant. I only go to a couple that are non vegan and I've established a relationship where I go, so they know I'm vegan and what to make me. I guess this is the danger we can face going to non vegan place, often times the owners and employees have no idea what vegan is, or don't care and can innocently give us something non vegan.

Anyway, just thought I'd vent to others can likely relate.
*Gives @vegan4peace a hand up, dusts them off, stands them up* We've all made mistakes, don't worry about it. I would've just given it to a hungry person.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-23-2017, 06:31 AM

This sort of thing happens sometimes despite one's best efforts. In this case, however, the owners of the restaurant seem to have been especially insensitive. One way to respond would be to let them know that you're not going there again. You could also leave a negative review online to warn other veg'ns. There are plenty of restaurants out there these days that have vegan options, or vegetarian options that can easily be modified to be vegan. It's better to support those restaurants rather than keep giving your money to an insensitive outfit that blames you for their mistake.

By the way, takeout is extremely bad for the environment. Those styrofoam containers, plastic utensils, and plastic bags do not biodegrade and will end up harming the environment for animals for thousands if not millions of years. I hope every vegan out there is considering the impact of their overall behavior on animals and wildlife rather than focusing on vegan purity according to the 1949 definition and neglecting everything else. Please consider avoiding takeout or bringing your own reusable containers, bag, and utensils.
1976teen76 likes this.

Last edited by poivron; 07-23-2017 at 06:40 AM.
#5 Old 08-07-2017, 05:40 PM

Don't be too sad. I did worse. I ate bacon accidentally two days ago. I'm honestly not a very good vegan lol, but I feel I certainly feel like I'm making an effort. At least compared to everyone else around me where most people eat nothing but meat or meat flavored things.

Welcome to Texas! Its beef or chicken at every single meal! And "Vegan" is profanity.
lol one of my co-workers thought I was crazy because I never liked steak or pork when I was a meat-eater. When I switched to being vegan he seemed to think I was a bad person and said " I cannot associate with weirdos like you". Of course he is the "Master BBQ'r" of my workplace so that might have something to do with it :/
Purp and sunshine superstar like this.
#6 Old 08-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Beginner

don't worry, I ate a whole pint of ice cream that I carelessly didn't check the ingredients but it had milk in it. Halo brand, was right next to Ben and Jerry's non dairy so for some reason I thought it was also non dairy.
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 08-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Plant Powered

Recently my husband and I had a similar experience. We regularly order from a nearby Chinese restaurant that blessedly has a fairly decent sized vegetarian menu. Of course you still have to specify, "no fish sauce, no egg" on everything but that's no problem, I'm used to that My husband, however, is rather forgetful and on the one occasion he ordered, he forgot to specify "no egg" in our rice. So we got egg. Of course we did not eat it, and just left it out for the fellow that regularly comes by for recyclables, but it was a minor pain. These things happen, you learn from them and move on
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 08-29-2017, 06:49 AM

I can relate. I remember the days of 20 questions when eating out to make sure something was even vegetarian.

Honestly I rarely go to non-vegan establishments anymore. I dont know where you live OP but if there are vegan places in your area, why not just support those?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page