Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By BlueMts
  • 1 Post By Evolotus

#1 Old 07-16-2017, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Question Plant Based Plastic Bottles?

A couple of weeks ago, I was in town for a small street festival, and I didn't have a water bottle to carry around, so I bought a bottle of water. *hangs head in shame* This bottle of water said it was "plant based plastic". What would make a plastic (store bought) plastic bottle not plant based? Thank you.
BlueMts likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2017, 12:49 AM
person

plant based bottles are made of plastic where the PET (polyethylene terephthalate) part of the plastic is replaced with plastic made with sugar or corn . T
hey save petroleum (the P in PET) and making them removes carbon from the air rather than putting it into the air. They are 100% recyclable - so they say.

The problem is the same as the problem with plant based fuels huge amounts of land are needed to grow enough plants to make the product taking the food off peoples tables.

catch 22

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Last edited by BlueMts; 07-17-2017 at 12:52 AM. Reason: spelling
#3 Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Bioplastics are not usually recyclable, sadly. They tend to gum up the works when mixed in with other plastics. They're supposed to be composted, but that brings up another issue: they are difficult if not impossible to compost except in high-heat municipal/commercial composting facilities.

Theoretically they are biodegradable or perhaps photodegradable, but in a landfill where there is no light or air circulating, they won't.

Sorry to come out of lurking on ya like this, but trash is kind of a hobby of mine.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMts View Post
plant based bottles are made of plastic where the PET (polyethylene terephthalate) part of the plastic is replaced with plastic made with sugar or corn . T
hey save petroleum (the P in PET) and making them removes carbon from the air rather than putting it into the air. They are 100% recyclable - so they say.

The problem is the same as the problem with plant based fuels huge amounts of land are needed to grow enough plants to make the product taking the food off peoples tables.

catch 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolotus View Post
Bioplastics are not usually recyclable, sadly. They tend to gum up the works when mixed in with other plastics. They're supposed to be composted, but that brings up another issue: they are difficult if not impossible to compost except in high-heat municipal/commercial composting facilities.

Theoretically they are biodegradable or perhaps photodegradable, but in a landfill where there is no light or air circulating, they won't.

Sorry to come out of lurking on ya like this, but trash is kind of a hobby of mine.
Gooberknuckles. Thanks, both of you. I have a water bottle that I'm happy with, so it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page