VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegan Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/)
-   -   Question about attitude changes (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/225906-question-about-attitude-changes.html)

Purp 07-03-2017 11:56 PM

Question about attitude changes
 
Before I was vegan, I had a pretty short temper and would blow up at any little thing. This not only scared my family, but me, as well. Now, I find my temper pretty even keeled. I don't know if it's getting older and more mellow, or veganism that's doing this? Any ideas?

Capstan 07-04-2017 12:59 AM

“As long as there are slaughter houses there will always be battlefields.” -Leo Tolstoy



I think there's a direct correlation between what we eat and our ability to control ourselves.

eve55 07-04-2017 02:58 AM

I think so and I can feel the change about myself. I've heard the saying : veganism cultivates perseverance, compassion and wisdom.

ozfoodhunter 07-04-2017 05:11 AM

The vegan food can make us happier and less stressed so, automatically the individual will be in the pleasant mood. I think vegan food can affect mood swings.

Knowtions In Motion 07-04-2017 07:26 AM

There's a lot to be said for no longer digesting the energies of the living beings who suffer greatly to appease human addictions. We are what we eat, in many ways.

Purp 07-04-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capstan (Post 4099842)
“As long as there are slaughter houses there will always be battlefields.” -Leo Tolstoy



I think there's a direct correlation between what we eat and our ability to control ourselves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eve55 (Post 4099866)
I think so and I can feel the change about myself. I've heard the saying : veganism cultivates perseverance, compassion and wisdom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozfoodhunter (Post 4099890)
The vegan food can make us happier and less stressed so, automatically the individual will be in the pleasant mood. I think vegan food can affect mood swings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowtions In Motion (Post 4099938)
There's a lot to be said for no longer digesting the energies of the living beings who suffer greatly to appease human addictions. We are what we eat, in many ways.

Ok, thanks. You guys are wonderful, you know that?

silva 07-04-2017 01:45 PM

For me it's as simple as getting used to being taunted about AR and veg'nism. If I didn't calm down I'd be insane by now!

Some traits are simply acquired by necessity.

BlueMts 07-04-2017 05:22 PM

I wish that that were true for me. I have chronic pain, chronic depression and with it comes chronic anger. However it is great that it has that effect on you guys.

rileyblue 07-04-2017 11:58 PM

I used to be that way too, and realized one day that I had been so much calmer than usual. This was when I was still eating meat. I also took Valerian root nearly daily, because my anxiety was so bad. That day though, I realized I hadn't taken the valerian root in a couple months. I had stopped consuming dairy. My mood stayed stable, until I decided to re-introduce it last year for who-knows-why, dumbest decision ever. My crazy temper and anxiety came right back. And inflammation and headaches, too.

leedsveg 07-05-2017 02:49 AM

Not sure I've seen any studies on this but I have been on enough forums to know that vegans (myself included) can be as crabby as any omnis. I suspect that going vegan can often bring along a certain wishful thinking concerning personal health (both mental and physical) and composure.

Lv

Knowtions In Motion 07-05-2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMts (Post 4100154)
I wish that that were true for me. I have chronic pain, chronic depression and with it comes chronic anger. However it is great that it has that effect on you guys.

I'm sorry you still suffer so greatly in those arenas. I used to suffer from those same things, big time, too. I can still go from being kind to being a b****, if necessary, in no time flat, but find it much less necessary nowadays.

Prior to my drastic overnight lifestyle change, thanks to an ER visit, I had been diagnosed with chronic and severe depression, severe anxiety, severe adhd, severe c-ptsd, (pretty much a severe life) and many other physical diagnoses that involve much chronic pain, including, but not limited to severe fibromyalgia, bone spurs in the damnedest places, injuries from multiple falls, and severe osteoarthritis.

I was bed-ridden more often than not from the ongoing burden of all those combined, in addition to my consumption habits that were keeping me in a deep state of suffering. I sure wish I could get the money, time, and connections back that I drained and severed through the years via various repairs to door jams from being slammed, things I've broken in a rage, feelings I've hurt, and relationships I damaged along the way as a result of my ongoing suffering and feelings of helplessness.

They had me on multiple prescriptions to try to manage it all. Each making things worse instead of better, minus a few moments of temporary symptom relief here and there. Nothing helping to eliminate the causes of my suffering, it seemed, but their attempts were working quite well to increase and multiply the issues, creating a need for yet another pill to try to help ease the discomfort the last one caused.

After drastically changing my consumption habits, along with my total environment, increasing daily purposeful movement, breathing deeply on purpose, along with trying many of the alternative things I was told were not legit simply because they weren't supported by many studies and peer reviewed documentation, etc., I no longer have to take the prescription and over the counter meds to manage symptoms. All the things I'd been taught were solid truths were being steadily dismantled with each new attempt I made outside of those realms. Who knew?

I suffer much less now (after a period of transition that was rather uncomfortable and difficult - especially diet-wise) and have been able to experience a sense of overall relief and self-empowerment I thought was totally out of reach at my age, especially according to the doctors and other professionals who I sought insurance-approved help from through the years.

I even spent much of my adult life working in the very same field that was telling me I had to just get used to my own misery and accept that I'd be on meds the rest of my life if I wished to enjoy any quality of life. Making it even harder to believe that all the things that actually helped me, could. Until they did.

I went from feeling desperate and as if I had no more hope, hurting like hell, staying pi**ed off, and feeling too bad to get out of bed many days, and being told I should just get used to my miseries...to feeling like a brand new person, feeling vibrantly full of life and eager to face each day, most days.

There are still painful struggles, as there always will be, regardless of our current state of being, but my ability to navigate them more fluidly and calmly now without having to further deplete my systems (along with many other very necessary external systems being unnecessarily tapped out in the process) in doing so never ceases to amaze me.

I share all of this only in hopes that many others can eventually find more hope and experience relief at some point in their lives by whatever means necessary. It's the hardest thing I've faced, attempted, and managed, thus far, but definitely the most rewarding in both long and short term payoffs.

Had someone told me I'd be existing in this whole foods plant-based kinder consumption space five years ago, minus alcohol and caffeine, too, and physically doing the things I can now do, I would have laughed it off and called them a damn fool for even thinking it.

My health and overall wellness has turned into a rather tasty, pleasant, and healthful ongoing learning pursuit now that I better innerstand my own innards and the actual fuel they operate best with. That keeps me excited to keep learning what else my body is capable of, in spite of what I've been misled to believe through the years.

Revisiting the folks who tried really hard to make me believe this level of relief wasn't/isn't humanly possible makes my pursuits even more delightful. Having my doc (and several other professionals) often asking me for mindful consumption advice and resources to share with others based on seeing my ongoing results, priceless.

BlueMts 07-05-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowtions In Motion (Post 4100474)
I'm sorry you still suffer so greatly in those arenas. I used to suffer from those same things, big time, too. I can still go from being kind to being a b****, if necessary, in no time flat, but find it much less necessary nowadays.

Prior to my drastic overnight lifestyle change, thanks to an ER visit, I had been diagnosed with chronic and severe depression, severe anxiety, severe adhd, severe c-ptsd, (pretty much a severe life) and many other physical diagnoses that involve much chronic pain, including, but not limited to severe fibromyalgia, bone spurs in the damnedest places, injuries from multiple falls, and severe osteoarthritis.

I was bed-ridden more often than not from the ongoing burden of all those combined, in addition to my consumption habits that were keeping me in a deep state of suffering. I sure wish I could get the money, time, and connections back that I drained and severed through the years via various repairs to door jams from being slammed, things I've broken in a rage, feelings I've hurt, and relationships I damaged along the way as a result of my ongoing suffering and feelings of helplessness.

They had me on multiple prescriptions to try to manage it all. Each making things worse instead of better, minus a few moments of temporary symptom relief here and there. Nothing helping to eliminate the causes of my suffering, it seemed, but their attempts were working quite well to increase and multiply the issues, creating a need for yet another pill to try to help ease the discomfort the last one caused.

After drastically changing my consumption habits, along with my total environment, increasing daily purposeful movement, breathing deeply on purpose, along with trying many of the alternative things I was told were not legit simply because they weren't supported by many studies and peer reviewed documentation, etc., I no longer have to take the prescription and over the counter meds to manage symptoms. All the things I'd been taught were solid truths were being steadily dismantled with each new attempt I made outside of those realms. Who knew?

I suffer much less now (after a period of transition that was rather uncomfortable and difficult - especially diet-wise) and have been able to experience a sense of overall relief and self-empowerment I thought was totally out of reach at my age, especially according to the doctors and other professionals who I sought insurance-approved help from through the years.

I even spent much of my adult life working in the very same field that was telling me I had to just get used to my own misery and accept that I'd be on meds the rest of my life if I wished to enjoy any quality of life. Making it even harder to believe that all the things that actually helped me, could. Until they did.

I went from feeling desperate and as if I had no more hope, hurting like hell, staying pi**ed off, and feeling too bad to get out of bed many days, and being told I should just get used to my miseries...to feeling like a brand new person, feeling vibrantly full of life and eager to face each day, most days.

There are still painful struggles, as there always will be, regardless of our current state of being, but my ability to navigate them more fluidly and calmly now without having to further deplete my systems (along with many other very necessary external systems being unnecessarily tapped out in the process) in doing so never ceases to amaze me.

I share all of this only in hopes that many others can eventually find more hope and experience relief at some point in their lives by whatever means necessary. It's the hardest thing I've faced, attempted, and managed, thus far, but definitely the most rewarding in both long and short term payoffs.

Had someone told me I'd be existing in this whole foods plant-based kinder consumption space five years ago, minus alcohol and caffeine, too, and physically doing the things I can now do, I would have laughed it off and called them a damn fool for even thinking it.

My health and overall wellness has turned into a rather tasty, pleasant, and healthful ongoing learning pursuit now that I better innerstand my own innards and the actual fuel they operate best with. That keeps me excited to keep learning what else my body is capable of, in spite of what I've been misled to believe through the years.

Revisiting the folks who tried really hard to make me believe this level of relief wasn't/isn't humanly possible makes my pursuits even more delightful. Having my doc (and several other professionals) often asking me for mindful consumption advice and resources to share with others based on seeing my ongoing results, priceless.

Priceless indeed. Unfortunately the cause of my problems is an hereditary gene mutation
which has played havoc with the white matter of my brain I have "innumerable small holes in it which are beginning to join up. My system will not absorb B12 except by injection nor can I absorb potassium or zinc except in time release capsuals. I have hemiplegic migraine and complex partial seizures and a lot of the stuff you have been talking about.

My younger brother just literally dropped dead, literally, from this 5 years ago and my doctors have told me that the medication I take are to try to do something about it but might not do anything except for the potassium, zinc and B12

got to go now , migaini nas ztarted and I cant ssaa prpperlt

sorry - lates

BlueMts 07-06-2017 06:44 PM

Sorry about that, How embarrassing.

I meant to say a migraine has started and I can't see (?) properly. Sorry - later.

Not going to go on with that rave. I wouldn't have started it under different circumstances

My point was just intended to be that I don't think becoming vegan or vegetarian is the cure all for every thing. It can cure a sick soul (if there is such a thing) and a bad conscience and it can cure any illness that has been caused by the bad diet that was being eaten prior to veganism. It might help with some auto immune problems but I started being vegetarian at 14-15 and progressed to veganism but I still have all the auto immune diseases my brother had. Some things you can do nothing about just look after yourself the best you can and look after your world the best you can. Being vegan is looking after the world and yourself.

Anyway, I hope body thought I was being critical of being vegan. I wasn't.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.