VeggieBoards banner

Vegetarian to Vegan

717 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  David3 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone!
I'm Abbie, 17 y/o, I've been vegetarian for 9 months. I'm looking into becoming a vegan, but I have a few concerns. I'm quite active, but since I've started eating a vegetarian diet I've had a lack of energy, so I've become lazy and started eating more junk foods to replace meat. So I'd like some advice in becoming a healthy vegan, I don't want to keep eating unhealthy foods and gaining weight and feeling gross when I don't have to. I'm not very educated on nutrition so I was wondering if anyone could give me information on supplements I might need and healthy foods that I could fit into my diet so the I'm not missing out any important nutrients.

Thanks! :)

#2 ·
Hello Everyone!
I'm Abbie, 17 y/o, I've been vegetarian for 9 months. I'm looking into becoming a vegan, but I have a few concerns. I'm quite active, but since I've started eating a vegetarian diet I've had a lack of energy, so I've become lazy and started eating more junk foods to replace meat. So I'd like some advice in becoming a healthy vegan, I don't want to keep eating unhealthy foods and gaining weight and feeling gross when I don't have to. I'm not very educated on nutrition so I was wondering if anyone could give me information on supplements I might need and healthy foods that I could fit into my diet so the I'm not missing out any important nutrients.

@Abs, I recommend The Complete Idiots Guide to a Plant Based Diet by Julieanna Hever, Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davies, the Thrive books by Brendan Brazier, The No-Meat Athlete by Matt Frazier. I hope this helps.

#3 ·
Going from Vegetarian to Vegan is really easy. You've done about 90% of the hard work.
what's left? mostly its just dairy and eggs.
Dairy is mostly easy. Just buy plant milk instead of cow's milk. I like soy milk the best because of the protein content. but if protein isn't an issue you can drink any kind of milk. or none. Milk of any kind is not essential.
The other thing is eggs. and for breakfast a bowl of cereal or oatmeal is sooo much more healthy and nutritious.

What some people have issues or problems with it bakery items. Like most of the store bought bakery items are made with milk or eggs or butter. But you know what? those things aren't good for you anyway. so skip them. You can almost always find some bread or rolls that have just a few ingredients. and now most stores have vegan cookies and such.

I'm not sure why you are feeling a lack of energy. Vegetarian diets aren't normally lacking in any important vitamins and minerals. Although a decent multi vitamin is usually a good cheap source of insurance. Try DEVAs Tiny Tablets. They are cheap and are pretty minimalistic.

Some new vegetarians and vegans lack energy cause they just aren't eating enough calories - but if you are gaining weight - well that can't be it.

As far as just general nutrition. Make sure you are eating at least one serving of green veggies a day. Dark greens especially. And two servings is better than one. For veggies a serving size is usually a about a cup. also make sure you are eating at least one serving of beans a day. Two is better. a serving of beans is just half a cup - or a glass of soy milk. At least one serving of fruit, two or more is better, A handful of nuts, and a couple of tablespoons of seeds ( i add ground flax seed to salads or smoothies). then you can just round things out with grains.

#4 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone!

Hi Abbie,

Here is a good website about vegan living. It includes very easy meal ideas: http://www.chooseveg.com/buildameal

And, from reputable vegan Registered Dietitian Brenda Davis, here are recommended food servings per day:

Also from Brenda Davis, here is a food diagram that shows the recommended approximate ratio of foods:

http://www.brendadavisrd.com/the-vegan-plate/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.