Amazing vegan cheese brand - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 3 Post By David3
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By silva
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 06-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,654
Amazing vegan cheese brand

I know I'm a little behind the times, as I've just now tried the "Chao" vegan cheese from the Field Roast company. Holeeee cowwwwww. It's the winner, at least for cheese-and-crackers and cold sandwiches (not sure about hot dishes, like pizza).

I'm not exaggerating. After 26 years of veganism, this is the first available-in-America vegan cheese that is completely satisfying and convincing to me.

jaskins, Purp and Riuma like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
David3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 06-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
Hmmmm...I found Daiya BLOCK cheeses and can eat them the way I ate blocks of dairy cheese. Slice, by slice by slice.... Havariti jalepano and their cheddar, even the cheddar slices. the other one--I think Montery?--pretty bland, but still good. These are great melted or cold, and they melt more like dairy. Daiya shreds are not good. I'm surprised they still sell them!

Chao flavors simply don't appeal to me. I don't want black pepper in cheese--and I hope it's refined coconut! Tomato cayenne, no thanks! and the creamy original -sounds terribly bland

Have you tried Daiya blocks?

I will also say cashew cheese, particularly when I added some refined coconut oil, is a wonderful thing

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
#3 Old 06-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Hmmmm...I found Daiya BLOCK cheeses and can eat them the way I ate blocks of dairy cheese. Slice, by slice by slice.... Havariti jalepano and their cheddar, even the cheddar slices. the other one--I think Montery?--pretty bland, but still good. These are great melted or cold, and they melt more like dairy. Daiya shreds are not good. I'm surprised they still sell them!

Chao flavors simply don't appeal to me. I don't want black pepper in cheese--and I hope it's refined coconut! Tomato cayenne, no thanks! and the creamy original -sounds terribly bland

Have you tried Daiya blocks?

I will also say cashew cheese, particularly when I added some refined coconut oil, is a wonderful thing



I didn't realize that Daiya block cheese was different than Daiya shredded cheese. I really dislike their shredded cheese. I'll try the blocks.
.
Purp and Riuma like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
David3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 06-11-2017, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
All varieties of Daiya go on sale a lot by me!
Honestly, I've been trying all kinds of processed like Beyond Meat, Gardein, Aldi stuff, and my eating has become just like that of an omni lately. I made a lasagna with sauteed Beyond meat beefy crumbles and my tofu ricotta with just a little vegan moz shreds to give it that cheesey melty texture. Gardein fishless fillets are yummy for craving fried foods (never even liked fish) Gardien pork bites in the sweet sour sauce were way better than any Chinese take out of that kind. Now i have Field Roast frankfurters, which I say 'meh'. Gardien crabby patties I suppose people that like crab patties would like. I did not

It's really pretty incredible how far vegan alternatives have come. I'm finding far more acceptance that things like 'bacon' and 'sausage' and 'cheese' and 'milk' are just flavors and have little to do with meat or even dairy
jaskins, Purp and Riuma like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
#5 Old 06-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Beginner
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 101
They are supposed to sell these brands near where I live.

So far haven't been too excited about the cheese brands I've tasted (Daiya and Trader Joe's mozarella, though the Daiya was a lot better than the TJ one).

Will have to try these out.
oldmanveggie is offline  
#6 Old 06-17-2017, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanveggie View Post
They are supposed to sell these brands near where I live.

So far haven't been too excited about the cheese brands I've tasted (Daiya and Trader Joe's mozarella, though the Daiya was a lot better than the TJ one).

Will have to try these out.
NOT Daiya shreds! Daiya blocks or even the slices are much much better! I actually couldn't believe Daiya jalepano havarti wasn't dairy. I mean both and melted. It even melts like dairy cheese. I find myself eating slice after slice- which isn't all that good for me, but dam it's good
Chili rellenos were my favorite dish to get at Mexican places. this cheese does it very well

I will say TJ"s vegan moz does the trick for when you want to add a binding creaminess. I use it almost exclusively for stuffed peppers-with their soy chorizo, rice and beans

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
#7 Old 06-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
runnerveggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,862
The Chao flavors don't sound that exciting, but they are really really good. They are subtle - not overpowering. The creamy original is very similar to provolone. The herb one is not too coconutty, and the tomato cayenne just has a little kick - kind of like pepper jack. It is great on black bean burgers! These are my go-to vegan cheese for cold on sandwiches or for grilled cheese.

FYH has american flavor slices that are very similar to the Chao creamy original - so good!
runnerveggie is offline  
#8 Old 06-17-2017, 08:38 PM
Newbie
 
Ferncat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 49
I tried the Chao creamy original and it was so good on the field roast burgers. Also put it in lasagne and it was good inside but the stuff on top sort of dried out. I guess it is good to bake with if it is incased in something and not on top.
Ferncat is offline  
#9 Old 07-31-2017, 06:52 PM
Vegan Informant
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 18
Does anyone know how to culture vegan cheese from scratch?

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tumblr at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mars haven is offline  
#10 Old 07-31-2017, 08:33 PM
Beginner
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
NOT Daiya shreds! Daiya blocks or even the slices are much much better! I actually couldn't believe Daiya jalepano havarti wasn't dairy. I mean both and melted. It even melts like dairy cheese. I find myself eating slice after slice- which isn't all that good for me, but dam it's good
Chili rellenos were my favorite dish to get at Mexican places. this cheese does it very well

I will say TJ"s vegan moz does the trick for when you want to add a binding creaminess. I use it almost exclusively for stuffed peppers-with their soy chorizo, rice and beans
I mentioned this in another thread but I drove to multiple stores around my area since they supposedly were selling Chao cheese, according to the Chao website product finder. I did however find a brand called "Follow Your Heart" which had cheddar and mozzarella style slices, and both tasted really good, much better than Daiya in my opinion. Had the right amount of salt flavor and that cheesy texture.
oldmanveggie is offline  
#11 Old 08-01-2017, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanveggie View Post
I mentioned this in another thread but I drove to multiple stores around my area since they supposedly were selling Chao cheese, according to the Chao website product finder. I did however find a brand called "Follow Your Heart" which had cheddar and mozzarella style slices, and both tasted really good, much better than Daiya in my opinion. Had the right amount of salt flavor and that cheesy texture.
You say "much better than Daiya", but which type? The blocks and slices are way different than shreds.
I'm gonna try the Chao at $5. something. Chao is never on sale here!

I had made another cashew sauce with too much garlic. I'm finding anything with too much garlic just tastes like hummus!
Purp likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
#12 Old 08-01-2017, 06:52 PM
Beginner
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
You say "much better than Daiya", but which type? The blocks and slices are way different than shreds.
I'm gonna try the Chao at $5. something. Chao is never on sale here!

I had made another cashew sauce with too much garlic. I'm finding anything with too much garlic just tastes like hummus!
The Follow Your Heart mozzarella was shreds, and the American cheese was block slices.
oldmanveggie is offline  
#13 Old 08-06-2017, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,789
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
You say "much better than Daiya", but which type? The blocks and slices are way different than shreds.
I'm gonna try the Chao at $5. something. Chao is never on sale here!

I had made another cashew sauce with too much garlic. I'm finding anything with too much garlic just tastes like hummus!
I didn't know there was such a thing as too much garlic.

Quote:
Does anyone know how to culture vegan cheese from scratch?
@mars haven Miyoko Schribner has a cookbook out titled Vegan Artisianal Cheese that's really good. That might help.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Last edited by Purp; 08-06-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Purp is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off