• 2 Post By Spudulika
  • 3 Post By Knowtions In Motion
  • 2 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Capstan

#1 Old 06-06-2017, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Question Changing tastes

I've noticed, since becoming vegan, my tastes are changing. I'm eating beets (something I never thought possible), tomatoes (see above), and avocado (see above). Is it normal to eat things you thought you never would?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-07-2017, 08:02 AM

I think that for me, the more I take out of my diet, the more creative I get and things I hadn't really thought about eating seem like possibilities. Two things that I was suspicious of/ never thought I would try them were okra and cauliflower. I like both of them very much now.
#3 Old 06-07-2017, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

For me it's more a case of what were formerly unusual tasting alternatives, gradually becoming the new normal.
I'm totally acclimatised to plant-milks now, including in savoury cooking. I used to tolerate soya milk, but now it's just 'milk'. Didn't really expect that.
I literally just discovered an old egg separator lurking in a corner one of my kitchen drawers, it gave me a little kick to realise 'Eh, I won't ever use that again!' and throw it in the bin. No desire to eat eggs, perfectly content with scrambled tofu or whatever.
I'll be having sliced marinated artichokes in my burger later, instead of a slice of cheese. I put everything except cheese on my pizza. It all seems so usual now.
Purp and Ferncat like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-07-2017, 09:15 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

I used to only be able to tolerate tomatoes if they were cooked or as ketchup. I crave them raw now. Especially homegrown heirloom. Oh My Garden!!!! lol

Many things I simply didn't know existed, too, like kohlrabi, celery root, jackfruit, jicama, etc., etc. are tasty. Quite the education for both me and my taste buds.
Purp, Ferncat and savinganimals like this.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#5 Old 06-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferncat View Post
I think that for me, the more I take out of my diet, the more creative I get and things I hadn't really thought about eating seem like possibilities. Two things that I was suspicious of/ never thought I would try them were okra and cauliflower. I like both of them very much now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
For me it's more a case of what were formerly unusual tasting alternatives, gradually becoming the new normal.
I'm totally acclimatised to plant-milks now, including in savoury cooking. I used to tolerate soya milk, but now it's just 'milk'. Didn't really expect that.
I literally just discovered an old egg separator lurking in a corner one of my kitchen drawers, it gave me a little kick to realise 'Eh, I won't ever use that again!' and throw it in the bin. No desire to eat eggs, perfectly content with scrambled tofu or whatever.
I'll be having sliced marinated artichokes in my burger later, instead of a slice of cheese. I put everything except cheese on my pizza. It all seems so usual now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowtions In Motion View Post
I used to only be able to tolerate tomatoes if they were cooked or as ketchup. I crave them raw now. Especially homegrown heirloom. Oh My Garden!!!! lol

Many things I simply didn't know existed, too, like kohlrabi, celery root, jackfruit, jicama, etc., etc. are tasty. Quite the education for both me and my taste buds.
Okay, good. It's not *just* me, then. It's everyone. Thanks.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 06-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

I've always loved trying new foods, and willing to give ones I dislike a ton of chances! Heck, i have a tradition of getting a winter squash every fall. Still hate it every which way. Lots of my tastes have changed. I used to use cumin seeds quite liberally, then I started to complain about cumin being too strong, to avoiding it, I'm just recently putting small amounts in things. I used to just love so many Indian dishes. It was unfortunately around the time of going vegan that the taste just--- left. It has now returned!

Then there are things like nooch, which I wasn't all that fond of when I first tried it- first couple tubs were pretty much exclusively popcorn. Now, I love it and use a lot-but don't think it's 'cheesey' on it's own
Purp likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 06-07-2017, 07:16 PM
Impeach the gangster

I think it must be natural for tastes to change. When I was omni, about the only vegetables I ate were those that came on a hamburger. My idea of a green vegetable was pickle relish. Now, I can't imagine life without broccoli, spinach, carrots, cauliflower, green beans, squash, cucumber- the list goes on. I'm even eating mushrooms.
Purp likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page