"Plants have feelings" - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

#31 Old 06-05-2017, 01:15 AM
From Le Dergoncave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maara View Post
I've had plenty of plant knowledge thrown at me in school and uni, so no need for those books, I already have some The show was a documentary-type show (no aliens or big music), and it was quite clear in it that it was a new find and that they didn't completely understand it, it was not aimed to make people not eat plants or to feel sorry for plants, it was just showing finds.
I also recommend nutritionfacts.org
Spudulika likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

I am Groot

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#33 Old 06-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maara View Post
As I said, the title wasn't to reflect the content really, I didn't know what to write. I don't think plants have feelings that can ever be compared to what animals feel, they're different.
I "give" them feelings by just considering them as alive and feeling compassion, doesn't mean that I think they actually care or feel anything, it's just me feeling that they deserve to be alive.

Thank you all for answering in this thread. I don't feel that I need to overcome these emotions I have towards plants, they don't stop me from eating the plants and they don't make me weep or feel depressed. It's just a slight feeling of wasting a life, I wish they all were like trees, where you can take the fruit without damaging the tree, but they're not. It's not a crippling emotion at all.
Maara, if you're bothered by the feeling that the food plants we harvest deserve to live, that their harvesting involves the waste of life, there might be some comfort in taking a broader view of the process. Plants and animals utterly rely on one another. Animals need the oxygen that plants produce, and plants need the carbon dioxide that animals produce. Our fates are intertwined. The absence of animal life would doom all plants as much as the absence of plant life would doom all animals. And this besides what we know about animals needing the fuel plants produce by eating them directly (or eating animals that ate plants) and plants needing the nutrients that animals release into the soil with their manure and as they decompose after death. For a plant to nourish animals helps plant life, and for an animal to nourish plants helps animal life. Considered that way in the larger picture, there is no waste of life involved in the constant exchange of air and fuel between plants and animals. Of course bad things happen in the environment when the process is out of balance, as in too many cows producing too much carbon dioxide. But that doesn't negate the basic validity of the overall mutual dependence.
Spudulika likes this.

Last edited by Joan Kennedy; 06-05-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riuma View Post

B-but I'm an elf

Riuma likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page