• 3 Post By oldmanveggie
  • 3 Post By Thalassa
  • 2 Post By BlueMts
  • 3 Post By thewolf
  • 2 Post By Spudulika
  • 1 Post By Jamie in Chile

#1 Old 05-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Beginner

How restrictive are you in consuming plant based oils?

Hi all.

Before I started practicing the vegan lifestyle, I wasn't aware that even within veganism, some vegans may not consume the exact group of foods that other vegans do.

Now that I have read more about vegans and the whole foods, plant based diet, one thing I will have to keep track of is the consumption of oils. For most of my life I was taught by the media that plant oils like olive oil were exceptionally healthy.

But in reading studies by doctors such as Esselstyn, oils in general, even plant oils, are not healthy for your body at all.

I'm starting to read the ingredients labels of some of the foods I have bought, and noticed how many of them have some sort of oil in it. Soybean oil, canola oil, olive oil, etc.

How do you, as a vegan, deal with this? Are you strict about consuming little to no oils?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-22-2017, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no problems consuming oil, but I try to use little, although I think "little" is subjective.
I will drizzle a pan to cook foods without them sticking or sautee onion. I would say 1/2 to 1 tablespoon daily. For some people, that would be a lot.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 05-22-2017 at 01:59 PM.
#3 Old 05-22-2017, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

vegan means you avoid foods and products that are made from using animals.
You don't need to eat healthy to be vegan. Most pop and fries are vegan, even those at fast food places
There are just as many sub sets to vegan diets as are in omni diets. No sugar. No oil, low fat. GLuten free. Low carb even.

I eat about the same now vegan as I did when I was omni. In both diets I had times of eating whole foods, and as veg I did great on diet Dr Furhman advocates in Eat to Live, with no added sugar, little oil and loads of whole plant foods. I did not maintain, and now eat junk foods as well as sugars

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-22-2017, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

I do have include that you do need to research nutrition in order to properly maintain a good vegan diet. It isn't any more strict, or complex, than eating animal products, it's that people are more used to animal diets and need to know the proteins, calciums, etc for the switch.
I do limit oils, as I did with meat eating, and use a cast iron skillet for most everything. Pretty naturally non stick
Spudulika, David3 and oldmanveggie like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 05-22-2017, 06:36 PM
Vegan since 1991

I try to minimize my consumption of oils, because they are mostly empty calories (exceptions: flaxseed oil is a good source of omega-3 fats, and some oils are rich in vitamin E).

I do eat oily whole foods, like nuts and avocados. These foods contain protein, vitamins and minerals.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#6 Old 05-22-2017, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

In my cooking, I would say I use a controlled amount of oil. I always measure it out and never drizzle any extra on salad or pasta. But that's just because of the high calories rather than any other concern.

Most cooking begins with frying onions, or a mixture of onions and other vegetables. In a dish that serves eight, I would use two tablespoons of oil. In a dish that serves two to four, I would use one tablespoon. I find a lesser amount of oil just doesn't work for sauteing (unless you do that water saute thing, which I don't).

If I have bread with my meal, I will often butter it with 1 tsp spread - which is plant oil based.

I will pan fry bean burgers / veggie patties, maybe once a week. I use two tablespoons for four patties - to serve two.

At a guess therefore, I'd say I probably average about 1/2 a tablespoon of oil a day.
Thalassa, BlueMts and oldmanveggie like this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 05-23-2017 at 10:42 PM.
#7 Old 05-23-2017, 06:59 PM

I'm not really. I did the whole no oil thing and it was awful. Your body needs fat and you won't absorb certain vitamins without it. Women especially need about 20-30% of their diet to be from fats because of our hormones. I only buy canola, coconut, olive, and sesame oil (oh and earth balance) for my house but if I'm at my family's house or in a restaurant I eat whatever I want without worrying about oil.

I probably eat 1-2 tablespoons of actual oil/butter a day and then other fatty foods like nuts, seeds, mayo, soy, and processed stuff.
Thalassa, BlueMts and oldmanveggie like this.

Last edited by sawyer_lei; 05-23-2017 at 07:01 PM.
#8 Old 05-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Beginner

I am like many of you in that I too use oils everyday.

It's not like I am putting oil in every thing I cook or eat, but mostly from some of the foods I buy from the groceries. And I like to use a little oil to fry up some things.

I suppose as with anything else in life there are always multiple ways of doing things. For now I won't stress too much over using oils.
Spudulika, Thalassa and BlueMts like this.
#9 Old 05-26-2017, 11:21 PM
Bandit

Oil helps some people stay away from animal fats, so I don't think it's wise to demonize oil....in fact some people have trouble with restrictions like high carb low fat diets. If you aren't suffering from heart disease I don't see why it would be a requirement to eat no oil at all, unless you're fasting for religious reasons (some religious traditions exclude olive oil and wine on certain days, like every Friday, or on Wednesday and Fridays during Advent or Lent)...or if you are trying to lose weight.

I think it's normal to use some oil once or twice a day for sautéed vegetables, salad dressing or pan frying, as long as every meal isn't deep fried (though junk food vegans don't care what you think of their french fries, you can be a junk food vegan...at least you'll still be avoiding cholesterol, lol).

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#10 Old 05-27-2017, 06:43 AM
person

We use olive oil and canola oil but we fry hardly anything just things like onion and garlic in a little oil or to brown soy pieces or zucchini. Sometimes for we use it for roasting veggies and on rare occasions for deep frying falafel.

A bit of oil doesn't hurt. Just use good quality virgin cold pressed oils with no additives.
Thalassa and oldmanveggie like this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Last edited by BlueMts; 05-27-2017 at 09:33 PM. Reason: change not to no
#11 Old 05-27-2017, 11:36 AM

I'm not really that strict with oils, However I've only just started on my vegan adventure less than a week ago but probably for the last year or so I've generally used a good quality olive oil but I'll always pour it into a spoon first then drizzle it on as I've found when I pour it direct from the bottle I always end up with more than I intend to use.
#12 Old 05-27-2017, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
If you aren't suffering from heart disease I don't see why it would be a requirement to eat no oil at all, ... or if you are trying to lose weight.

I think it's normal to use some oil once or twice a day for sautéed vegetables, salad dressing or pan frying,
Agree, the only reason I control the volume of oil I add to food, is to control the amount of calories I'm adding to that food.

I am logging calories, because I need to lose some weight, and oil is a highly calorie dense food.

Otherwise, I don't think that cutting ALL oil out for otherwise healthy people, is necessary for wellbeing.

There may be some evidence on the benefits of removing all oil from diets specifically for 'reversing heart disease' or whatever (ie: people who may need to implement major lifestyle changes to heal a very sick body) but I've not really looked into it.
Thalassa and oldmanveggie like this.
#13 Old 05-28-2017, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I suspect oil isn't that bad but I haven't read a huge amount about it. Everything in moderation, though.
oldmanveggie likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page