• 1 Post By eve55
  • 1 Post By thewolf
  • 2 Post By oldmanveggie
  • 3 Post By Thalassa

#1 Old 05-22-2017, 12:29 PM

Hello from a meat eater...

Hi Everyone hope you're all well.

I'm 28 and from England.

I have been a meat eater all my life and I don't know any vegetarians let alone vegans.

However I have decided to give veganism a go. I actually Started today!

I'm on here to get a bit of support and learn from anyone who is willing to offer any advice as this is completely alien to me luckily I learnt to cook when I was a kid but I'm finding that I'm already feeling limited by what I can cook. I do realise this is just because I'm not used to this way of cooking so I'm just going to have to get creative and learn a LOT more about vegan cooking lol.

I really like the fact that everything I'm going to be eating is going to be nutritional and good for not just the environment or animals or the world but also that I'm really learning to take care of my body and fuel it well.

There are many reasons I have decided to go down this path and I'm sure I'll go into that in the future but for now I just wanted to say hi and find my feet... So hi everyone 😊
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Hi Everyone hope you're all well.

I'm 28 and from England.

I have been a meat eater all my life and I don't know any vegetarians let alone vegans.

However I have decided to give veganism a go. I actually Started today!

I'm on here to get a bit of support and learn from anyone who is willing to offer any advice as this is completely alien to me luckily I learnt to cook when I was a kid but I'm finding that I'm already feeling limited by what I can cook. I do realise this is just because I'm not used to this way of cooking so I'm just going to have to get creative and learn a LOT more about vegan cooking lol.

I really like the fact that everything I'm going to be eating is going to be nutritional and good for not just the environment or animals or the world but also that I'm really learning to take care of my body and fuel it well.

There are many reasons I have decided to go down this path and I'm sure I'll go into that in the future but for now I just wanted to say hi and find my feet... So hi everyone 😊

Welcome to the forum!

This website (http://www.chooseveg.org) is a good resource for transitioning to veganism. Well illustrated and detailed.

It can be easier to becoming vegetarian if you first find 5 or 6 meatless dishes that you really enjoy. These might be meatless versions of dishes that you already enjoy - burritos, pasta, soups, breads and dips, etc. Your favorite restaurants probably also offer some satisfying meatless dishes. Once these dishes become part of your eating style, it will be much easier to let go of your old meat dishes.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 05-23-2017, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! David above gives good advice regarding menu ideas. Five or six dishes, go with what you know and tweak it.

I'm also from the UK, for me that means I still enjoy comfort foods like sausage and mash (check out Linda McCartney sausages).

I also enjoy finding easy international dishes that are already virtually vegan, there's a lot of it out there; if you like curry (as most of us Brits do), you've got plenty of options to explore right there.

Here's a thread for reviews of basic vegan items mostly from UK supermarkets (please feel free to add if you find something you like):
https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60...eviews-uk.html

Also there's this thread if you're up for sharing your cooking exploits:
https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60...ok-lately.html

One step at a time. Sometimes it's two steps forward and one back, but just keep chipping away and you'll get there.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-23-2017, 01:31 AM

Hi there, welcome. You've made a good choice.hehehe
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 05-23-2017, 12:24 PM

Hi everyone thank you all for your replys.

I think for me the reason I'm feeling restricted when cooking is because I honestly didn't realise how many recipes have got not just meat or fish but dairy in them!

I can cook some vegetarian recipes... vegetable lasagne, homemade cauliflower cheese, cheesy vegetable bake, baked potato etc... but I'd always use dairy in these so I'm having to completely rethink everything to double check there's no dairy! It's just completely different from what is considered the 'normal' or average diet and they way I have been eating and cooking my whole life.

Yeah I'd definitely be up for posting about what I'm cooking... I'll probably pick up a fair few tips too! And I'll check out all the other links that have been posted.

Thanks for all the links, advice and patience to I appreciate it.
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 05-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Beginner

I decided to become a vegan practically overnight.

I used to watch vegans cooking on YouTube and thought how 'boring' and tasteless everything they cooked seemed, and never thought in a thousand years I could live like that.

I have been eating meat, dairy, and all forms of fats and cholesterol for twice as long as you. That is a long time. But when I realized that the keto diet I was on was making me very sick inside, and coming from a family history of heart disease and stroke, I knew drastic measures were needed.

So the day after I became sick eating McDonald's for dinner, I went to the grocery store and stocked up on things I thought would help me transition. I bought meat substitute items like fishless filets from Gardein, soy and bean burgers, and veggie versions of meat filled foods I used to eat (veggie spring rolls, etc.). That helped.

I guess I was lucky in that I already liked quite a few food items that are vegan staples. I always ate vegetables and fruits in the past, not a whole lot but at least I enjoyed and didn't outright hate them. I always loved legumes especially beans. I always loved whole grains, brown rice, oatmeal, etc.

It was just a matter of getting used to eating more carbs and making them the central focus of my diet. That was the hardest part since a keto diet frowns on that of course. But having made it past the one month mark with no cravings for meat or dairy products, I was surprised at how relatively easy the transition was.

I also like to keep it simple. I think sometimes people are overwhelmed at all these fancy vegan recipes floating around and feel it's too much work and effort. It really isn't. Doesn't take me much effort to cook rice or pasta, bake potatoes, cut up salads.
Purp and David3 like this.
#7 Old 05-26-2017, 11:06 PM
Bandit

You can make vegetable lasagna with seasoned tofu instead of cheese, or you can use vegan cheese.

I will link a recipe that I have fed to meat eaters successfully that contains vegan cheese (because it's really a good one for new vegans or omnis):

I would suggest you try dishes that are naturally vegan, like Mediterranean dishes: hummus, babaganoush, tabouli salad, stuffed grape leaves, falafel, pita bread, or Indian dishes: dal lentils, aloo gobi (potato and cauliflower spiced), plain naan, vegetable pakora with tamarind or mint chutney, chana masala, rice or Thai food: various vegetable and tofu curries, vegetable spring rolls, tofu pad thai....all of these foods are flavorful and don't require any kind of substitutions. Some might even already be familiar foods for you.
Purp, Spudulika and David3 like this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page