Q&A - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-18-2017, 07:40 PM

Thumbs up Q&A

Hello everyone,
My name is Rayanna Perfecto, I'm 19 and currently a college student. For my English final I have to write an essay on a subculture so I decided to pick vegans! I find them very interesting and my essay is about exploring vegan's values. I would really appreciate it if you could answer any of the questions down bellow. Thank you so much for your time and effort!

1.How long have you been vegan ?and if you don't mind me asking how old are you?

2.What is the main reason you decided to lead a vegan lifestyle?

3.How has being vegan affected your health?

4.What would you say are things vegans, as a subculture, value?

5.How has social media played a role in your vegan lifestyle?

6.Do you feel some sort of passion or obligation to inform others about a vegan lifestyle?

7.Have you ever heard of the term “punk vegan” and if so would you consider yourself one? Why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2017, 09:03 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayanna View Post
Hello everyone,
My name is Rayanna Perfecto, I'm 19 and currently a college student. For my English final I have to write an essay on a subculture so I decided to pick vegans! I find them very interesting and my essay is about exploring vegan's values. I would really appreciate it if you could answer any of the questions down bellow. Thank you so much for your time and effort!

1.How long have you been vegan ?and if you don't mind me asking how old are you?
26 years. I'm in my late 40s

2.What is the main reason you decided to lead a vegan lifestyle?
To try to separate myself from violence.

3.How has being vegan affected your health?
So far, I have avoided the health problems that began to affect my Dad during his 30s and 40s.

4.What would you say are things vegans, as a subculture, value?
(I don't like the word subculture; "sub" connotes a condition of being below, or degraded). Different vegans can value very different things. Most of what I value are things that everyone claims to value: peace, justice, opportunity, respect, compassion, health, democracy, emotional connection, etc.

5.How has social media played a role in your vegan lifestyle?
Social media has taught me that many people are more likely to believe their peers, or someone who is cool or beautiful, rather than believing the findings of well-designed experiments / studies

6.Do you feel some sort of passion or obligation to inform others about a vegan lifestyle?
Yes - it's not possible to make social change without communicating to others.

7.Have you ever heard of the term “punk vegan” and if so would you consider yourself one? Why?
This term means different things to different people. I don't consider myself a punk vegan.

Rayanna, I hope you will take the time to learn a little about veganism, especially from the older folks who have been around.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 05-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayanna View Post
Hello everyone,

1.How long have you been vegan ?and if you don't mind me asking how old are you? I've been vegan 12 years. I'm 57.

2.What is the main reason you decided to lead a vegan lifestyle? I don't know what "lead a vegan lifestyle" really means, but I went vegan because I could no longer allow my hard-earned money to support the cruelty inherent in following a standard American diet.

3.How has being vegan affected your health? I'm perfectly healthy.

4.What would you say are things vegans, as a subculture, value? As is true with any group, vegans vary. Some people go vegan to lose weight or to follow the latest trend. Some people go vegan because they think it's healthy. Most long-term vegans, in my experience, do it because they cannot stomach the idea of killing something just to fill out their plate.

5.How has social media played a role in your vegan lifestyle? I know many vegans in various forums and on FB - sometimes, it's a positive experience, other times not so much

6.Do you feel some sort of passion or obligation to inform others about a vegan lifestyle? Only when they question me.

Yes, I've heard of punk vegan, and no I'm not one. I'm more of the Vera Bradley type of vegan.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page