Nutritional Yeast Substitute? - VeggieBoards

Nutritional Yeast Substitute?

greenmamato3
02:34 PM 05-14-2017
I find the taste of Nutritional Yeast really offensive. I have a bunch of recipes I want to try that use NY. Any suggestions for anything I could substitute?? Help!
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

silva's Avatar silva
03:55 PM 05-14-2017
Nooch adds both taste and thickens. You can leave out in things like seitan, or where it doesn't really affect the texture

I will say this however- I really disliked it when I first tried it- with the exception of popcorn. I liked it with salt and garlic powder on popcorn. Any way, I kept experimenting and found tweeking it made huge differences in flavor. I still don't like it by itself, but I love nooch sauces, and on toast. Most definitely with vegan mayo!

Do you like vegan mayos? Like Just Mayo? I find adding some mayo to otherwise fat free healthy recipes is a HUGE improvement. Adding nooch and some lemon juice, some salt, and esp some miso makes a terrific sauce for veggies or pasta. i don't really have a recipe, I just them up for reference and know what I like to add. I'd say 1 to 2 teaspoons of juice and miso to the usual recipe.

Do you have nutritional yeast now? What brand? Keep sealed in the fridge
silva's Avatar silva
03:57 PM 05-14-2017
Oh yeah, what kinds of recipes are you thinking of leaving it out of? I think just adding maybe extra spice and maybe a little more of flour, or less water, would be just fine for most
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

greenmamato3
04:03 PM 05-14-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Oh yeah, what kinds of recipes are you thinking of leaving it out of? I think just adding maybe extra spice and maybe a little more of flour, or less water, would be just fine for most
I was wanting to try a vegan mac n cheese for my daughter so I don't know if just leaving it out would work?
greenmamato3
04:04 PM 05-14-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Nooch adds both taste and thickens. You can leave out in things like seitan, or where it doesn't really affect the texture

I will say this however- I really disliked it when I first tried it- with the exception of popcorn. I liked it with salt and garlic powder on popcorn. Any way, I kept experimenting and found tweeking it made huge differences in flavor. I still don't like it by itself, but I love nooch sauces, and on toast. Most definitely with vegan mayo!

Do you like vegan mayos? Like Just Mayo? I find adding some mayo to otherwise fat free healthy recipes is a HUGE improvement. Adding nooch and some lemon juice, some salt, and esp some miso makes a terrific sauce for veggies or pasta. i don't really have a recipe, I just them up for reference and know what I like to add. I'd say 1 to 2 teaspoons of juice and miso to the usual recipe.

Do you have nutritional yeast now? What brand? Keep sealed in the fridge

I don't know the brand because I got it in a bulk bin at a food co-op. It also hasn't been in the fridge, so maybe that's part of the problem. I haven't tried any vegan mayo, but we do have some.
Mojo's Avatar Mojo
10:34 PM 05-14-2017
Are you sure it was nutritional yeast and not brewers yeast? Brewers yeast is undeniably nasty, and the two get confused all the time. Maybe they put the wrong one in the bin.

I would also say there is a taste difference between fortified and unfortified nutritional yeast. Fortified is easier to find in stores, but unfortified has a more natural cheesy taste. You might find unfortified more to your liking.
greenmamato3
02:53 PM 05-15-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Are you sure it was nutritional yeast and not brewers yeast? Brewers yeast is undeniably nasty, and the two get confused all the time. Maybe they put the wrong one in the bin.

I would also say there is a taste difference between fortified and unfortified nutritional yeast. Fortified is easier to find in stores, but unfortified has a more natural cheesy taste. You might find unfortified more to your liking.

Interesting. It could have been mislabeled! I will try it again from a different source! Thanks!
greenmamato3
06:34 PM 05-15-2017
OK we got new nutritional yeast today and I used it in eggplant parmesan and it was delicious! I put it in the fridge when I was done with it. Thanks for the tips everyone!
Tags: nutritional yeast , substitutes , Vegan
Reply Up