Nutritional Yeast Substitute? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Mojo
  • 1 Post By greenmamato3
  • 3 Post By greenmamato3
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 05-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 74
Nutritional Yeast Substitute?

I find the taste of Nutritional Yeast really offensive. I have a bunch of recipes I want to try that use NY. Any suggestions for anything I could substitute?? Help!
Thank you

Vegan: because I'm being the change I wish to see in the world
greenmamato3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 05-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,949
Nooch adds both taste and thickens. You can leave out in things like seitan, or where it doesn't really affect the texture

I will say this however- I really disliked it when I first tried it- with the exception of popcorn. I liked it with salt and garlic powder on popcorn. Any way, I kept experimenting and found tweeking it made huge differences in flavor. I still don't like it by itself, but I love nooch sauces, and on toast. Most definitely with vegan mayo!

Do you like vegan mayos? Like Just Mayo? I find adding some mayo to otherwise fat free healthy recipes is a HUGE improvement. Adding nooch and some lemon juice, some salt, and esp some miso makes a terrific sauce for veggies or pasta. i don't really have a recipe, I just them up for reference and know what I like to add. I'd say 1 to 2 teaspoons of juice and miso to the usual recipe.

Do you have nutritional yeast now? What brand? Keep sealed in the fridge

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
#3 Old 05-14-2017, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,949
Oh yeah, what kinds of recipes are you thinking of leaving it out of? I think just adding maybe extra spice and maybe a little more of flour, or less water, would be just fine for most

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 05-14-2017, 03:03 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Oh yeah, what kinds of recipes are you thinking of leaving it out of? I think just adding maybe extra spice and maybe a little more of flour, or less water, would be just fine for most
I was wanting to try a vegan mac n cheese for my daughter so I don't know if just leaving it out would work?

Vegan: because I'm being the change I wish to see in the world
greenmamato3 is offline  
#5 Old 05-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Nooch adds both taste and thickens. You can leave out in things like seitan, or where it doesn't really affect the texture

I will say this however- I really disliked it when I first tried it- with the exception of popcorn. I liked it with salt and garlic powder on popcorn. Any way, I kept experimenting and found tweeking it made huge differences in flavor. I still don't like it by itself, but I love nooch sauces, and on toast. Most definitely with vegan mayo!

Do you like vegan mayos? Like Just Mayo? I find adding some mayo to otherwise fat free healthy recipes is a HUGE improvement. Adding nooch and some lemon juice, some salt, and esp some miso makes a terrific sauce for veggies or pasta. i don't really have a recipe, I just them up for reference and know what I like to add. I'd say 1 to 2 teaspoons of juice and miso to the usual recipe.

Do you have nutritional yeast now? What brand? Keep sealed in the fridge

I don't know the brand because I got it in a bulk bin at a food co-op. It also hasn't been in the fridge, so maybe that's part of the problem. I haven't tried any vegan mayo, but we do have some.

Vegan: because I'm being the change I wish to see in the world
greenmamato3 is offline  
#6 Old 05-14-2017, 09:34 PM
Give peas a chance
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California, USA
Posts: 1,715
Are you sure it was nutritional yeast and not brewers yeast? Brewers yeast is undeniably nasty, and the two get confused all the time. Maybe they put the wrong one in the bin.

I would also say there is a taste difference between fortified and unfortified nutritional yeast. Fortified is easier to find in stores, but unfortified has a more natural cheesy taste. You might find unfortified more to your liking.
Spudulika likes this.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Mojo is offline  
#7 Old 05-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Are you sure it was nutritional yeast and not brewers yeast? Brewers yeast is undeniably nasty, and the two get confused all the time. Maybe they put the wrong one in the bin.

I would also say there is a taste difference between fortified and unfortified nutritional yeast. Fortified is easier to find in stores, but unfortified has a more natural cheesy taste. You might find unfortified more to your liking.

Interesting. It could have been mislabeled! I will try it again from a different source! Thanks!
Spudulika likes this.

Vegan: because I'm being the change I wish to see in the world
greenmamato3 is offline  
#8 Old 05-15-2017, 05:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 74
OK we got new nutritional yeast today and I used it in eggplant parmesan and it was delicious! I put it in the fridge when I was done with it. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Vegan: because I'm being the change I wish to see in the world
greenmamato3 is offline  
Reply

Tags
nutritional yeast , substitutes , Vegan

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off