• 1 Post By Symondezyn
  • 1 Post By BlueMts
  • 1 Post By blue_green_gold
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Spudulika

#1 Old 05-05-2017, 01:36 AM

new vegan , clothes and sofa

Hi am a vegetarian who is wanting to go vegan am disabled and i cant work my husband cant work as he is my full time carer i cant afford to buy a new wardrobe at the moment i have wool hats and other clothes that i have that am unsure of what they are also i have a leather sofa at the moment we cant afford a new one or even a second hand one my husband is a meat eater and is already worried about the cost that me being vegan will be
we got the sofa when i was a meat eater am trying to find cheep food and other things i need but i cant afford very much
Am going from vegetarian to vegan slowly but all the time am worried about money and am worried that my husband will say i cant afford to do this and make me go back to being vegetarian again he dont want to be vegan or veggie he says he like his meat
he been very against this before as there are times before when av wanted to go vegan before unsure what i can do about my clothes and the sofa
anyway thanks

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being."
Mahatma Gandhi,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2017, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

You can very cheaply make your own non dairy milks, oat milk, rice, and flax are particularly easy. Do you make your own meals?
Buying dry beans and grains is way cheaper. Produce in season. I find whole plant based is the cheapest I can do, although fair trade is more. I guess in some places frozen processed foods are more.

If you can't afford to replace things I personally have no issue with that. I'm sure it now causes you discomfort, but put a cover over the sofa, and go to thrift stores when you can. If anything has value maybe try and sell it?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 05-05-2017, 03:05 AM

i have never really been much of a cook i havent cooked for a long time my husband normally cooks for me but i'll start to cook most of the time i can try and throw a few things together and really see what happened ( should be ok as long as i dont give myself food poisoning ) i have been looking up recipes and having a few ideas of what to make one of them is vegan chilli with rice ...also mince with potatos stew
i do have a sweet tooth so i have to be careful with that i go to groups in the week they have food there but i can take some fruit with me for that
the sofa is 10 year maybe older i dont think we get money for it but i can try and get a throw for it

thank you for replying to me

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being."
Mahatma Gandhi,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-05-2017, 04:46 PM
Plant Powered

I think we all suffer a bit of anxiety when first going vegan, about what to do with the items we own that are non vegan. Everyone has to decide for themselves what to do with those things. Money is certainly an issue for lots of us, including myself. I kept a lot of my more practical things (basic black shoes/boots, wool hats) and elected to use them until they wear out. I did give away my leather purse and invested in a vegan leather one, because it's a bit more of a visible item and therefore, more of a talk-to point with other people, but that was a personal choice. Some of my cosmetics I used up or gave away, and replaced most of it as soon as I could.

As far as food is concerned, going from vegetarian to vegan doesn't have to be more expensive. Cheese is a very high ticket item, so if you're not eating that, it's going to save you money. Plant milks are not that much more than dairy milks, and you can make your own if you want to save even more. Things like commercial baked goods can also be pricey, so avoiding those will also save you money. If you eat eggs for breakfast, tofu is cheaper, and if you use them for baking, flax seeds are cheaper, so it's a win-win.

I'm not sure why your husband has an issue with you becoming vegan but not being vegetarian? Either way, you're not eating meat - the only differences are that you are removing higher priced dairy and egg items from your diet... should be an argument FOR, not against, in terms of cost ^_^ Good luck with your journey!
Spudulika and BlueMts like this.
#5 Old 05-06-2017, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWillowX View Post
am trying to find cheep food and other things i need but i cant afford very much
Am going from vegetarian to vegan slowly but all the time am worried about money and am worried that my husband will say i cant afford to do this and make me go back to being vegetarian again
If you can't afford to replace clothes and furniture right now, then don't let that stop you making dietary changes.

Apart from some of your clothes and furniture, what is it in particular that makes you both feel that you being vegan will be more expensive than being a vegetarian?
Thalassa likes this.
#6 Old 05-06-2017, 03:25 AM

my husband looks at the prices of things in supermarkets we have to get food weekly not monthly and we only get so much money we got to pay bills food for my husband and food for myself normally when we go into real foods (wholefoods /vegan store ) its seems like its more money for vegan things like bag of 3 kgs lentils 13.95 unsure how much that is and am unsure on how long it last also there is the storage and keeping it away from my cats and thats just one bag we dont have enough room in our flat to put big bag of food around the place with out cats getting into it and knowing what my cats are like they will go and eat anything that is food the only way i can get beans etc are in tins i can make things for my self and sometimes my husband will have the things like vegan chilli if there is two servings and have that for his dinner but he says he still wants to eat meat he said they only way he ever going vegan or veggie is if his dr was to tell him his life is at risk if he keeps eating meat fake meat stuff we can get from Tesco and Asda the wholefood shops they seem to be a lot more money So we have to do Asda or tesco witch there dont seems to be a lot of vegan stuff in the store near to us we dont have a car and we would have to bus it to nearist bigger tesco or asda and get back with the stuff frozen the bus its 10.2 milies like i said we have to go on the bus then there stopping at every stop to pick people up drop off wait for the bus and hot weather as well on top of that
my husband said we will have to see he giving it 2 months to see
Thank you all for replying

Mahatma Gandhi,
#7 Old 05-06-2017, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah, so you're in the UK.
Take a look at this thread I created; I buy and cook low cost items from the same supermarkets you go to and will be updating regularly:

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60...eviews-uk.html

Do you or your partner ever use a credit card? If so I really recommend that you shop online at ASDA (definitely the cheapest) or Tesco same as I do, it's easy to see to see the price per kilo for products and get which are are cheapest. You also tend to get a better range of products online and it saves on petrol / bus costs.

Here's a link to ASDA's red lentils. They last for months and can be used in multiple ways. Only 75p for 500g (that's enough for four to six meals):

https://groceries.asda.com/product/d...s/910001794651

And here's a link to ASDA's own brand soya milk. 59p for 1 litre, perfectly good milk, stores really well, I use it all the time:

https://groceries.asda.com/product/s...tened/43049983

You can absolutely definitely do this AND you will spend less. We were really skint for quite a while and had a strict budget of £40 per week for the two of us, that's only £20 each. Now we're not quite as skint but I still shop pretty much the same way, we can just afford more goodies now.
#8 Old 05-06-2017, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

There's quite a few YouTube videos that show you how to shop vegan for £20 per week for one person.

Last edited by Spudulika; 05-06-2017 at 05:06 AM.
#9 Old 05-06-2017, 02:24 PM

OH wow that is amazing never thought its be so cheep am amazed by that got a list of what the food was and when we get some money again we can get that i have to use all the non vegan stuff first but after that am kinda ready to go vegan .
Spudulika likes this.

Mahatma Gandhi,
#10 Old 05-07-2017, 10:45 AM

You might want to consider investing in an electric pressure cooker like the Instant Pot. Then you can easily make very healthy and very inexpensive meals with dried lentils and beans, whole grains, and frozen or in-season fresh vegetables. Seeds like sunflower and pumpkin are much cheaper than nuts like almond and walnut.

As long as I avoid packaged processed foods my food bill is remarkably low!
Spudulika likes this.

Last edited by blue_green_gold; 05-07-2017 at 10:50 AM.
#11 Old 05-08-2017, 05:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
OH wow that is amazing never thought its be so cheep am amazed by that got a list of what the food was and when we get some money again we can get that i have to use all the non vegan stuff first but after that am kinda ready to go vegan .
I'm glad you found the videos useful, let us know how you get on?
#12 Old 05-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Plant Powered

Some of the things you mention are things me and my husband share with you as well: we shop weekly, we don't drive (so we carry our groceries home walking); we are on a budget, we have cats and we live in an apartment with limited space. All those things are absolutely manageable as vegans. We live in a part of Canada (Vancouver area) where cost of living is insanely high, and I often see people post costs of food items on here and think "i WISH we got food that cheap here!" LOL.

My humble advice to you is to take it one step at a time. You don't have to do everything all at once. I sense you are feeling overwhelmed as if your whole life has to be overturned simply by deciding to go vegan. You say you are already vegetarian, so it's really not that much different! Do you not already eat lentils and beans? ^_^ Perhaps take the "v" word out of the equation for now, and simply choose to make different decisions one by one. Using your example of the bag of lentils, maybe use an empty pickle jar or something to store them, rather than storing them in the bag they came in, so the cats won't get to them. I keep all our pantry items in jars, some in cupboards, some on the kitchen counter - you'll figure it out! Where there is a will, there is a way, or so they say
Spudulika likes this.
#13 Old 05-12-2017, 11:13 AM

right now am very angry ...my husband and my minster ( am christian ) have both said that vegan is a bad idea my husband is still saying we cant afford it when we can my minster made me feel like i was in the wrong for wanting to be vegan that all the animals in the documentaries are extreme cases and the farms with cow and chickens are well looked after am easily influenced by people like my minster he also a mental health minster as well and he runs most of the groups am involved with because i have mental health problems they both think that my mental health is the reason am wanting to be vegan ( i have an eating disorder and other mental health problems ) to keep them happy i had to eat things that weren't vegan and stopped looking into veganism but i feel like i have let animals down i told my husband i want to be vegan but he told me am not and is very pissed off at me for wanting to be vegan
they will not listen to me screw what i might want am not a person who can make choices for myself according to them

i have no rights like a normal person i have no say

Mahatma Gandhi,
#14 Old 05-12-2017, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Make an appointment to discuss this with your psychiatrist and/or GP, do not allow some self-appointed spiritual 'mental health' minister make decisions for you. He's probably not qualified to do that.

BTW, you say "minister", what denomination of Church?

Here's a link to a UK based Christian vegetarian association, you may find friends/support there?http://www.christianvegetarians.com/
#15 Old 05-12-2017, 11:19 PM
person

My husband is also my carer - does all the shopping , cooking etc but I was vegetarian when he met me and hasn't argued about it at all about going to vegan. He is vegetarian now and on his way to vegan.

I wish you all the luck and success in the world. Don't let them push you around. Keep trying. Keep smiling. See if you can see a professional who agrees with you for support.

Keep coming here too - at least it gives you a chance to vent and to get advice.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#16 Old 05-13-2017, 03:17 AM

my gp knows and was supportive of me becoming vegan my minster is from an LGBT church he works with people with mental health problems he thinks am trying to do it because of my eating disorder and my OCD my husband says i can be part vegan witch isnt what i want to be my husband is telling me to compromise with him but i want to be vegan
they think because am mentally ill that i cant make a choice i dont want to be the reason animals are killed or abused because of me wanting to eat i feel very strongly about this there is a girl who is vegan at one of the groups i go to and i am thinking about talking to her but i dont want to get my minster in trouble as he is also a friend as well my husband says he is concerned about me and my welfare but i think him and my husband have gone too far in telling me want i can and cant eat
Last night me and my husband has a major fight about this that seems to have lasted a while with me getting more and more upset and at the end i felt like i needed to self injure witch i tried to and my husband stopped me from doing
I feel so upset right now sorry
i have decided that i am going to be vegan and i dont care what they say to me my minster i cant seem to say no to him because he a man of God ... my husband knows this
I want to do this

Mahatma Gandhi,
#17 Old 05-13-2017, 05:31 AM
person

I am so sorry that you are having so much trouble with this but I greatly admire you determination to choose your own path.

Please don't self harm, I know that's easy for me to say but harder for you to do, try to stay strong but calm. Just go slowly. The food is more important than the furniture. Going vegan you just do the best they can as you can. vegetarianism is a good start.

Maybe if you change just one food at a time Then perhaps your husband and minister will not be so confrontational about it. doing something you really want to do slowly and calmly but with quiet determination is hard when you have OCD. I know because I battle it too - I want to do what I want to do and it all has to be done now and done perfectly. Fight it because it is not really the way to go this time - just slowly and calmly.

You do not have to be the perfect vegan overnight just do what you can when you can. People who don't have half your problems can still take a long time to make the change over for various reasons.

I think it is fantastic that you want to change to vegan. You should feel good about yourself for wanting to and for starting on the path.
David3 likes this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#18 Old 05-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
...my minster made me feel like i was in the wrong for wanting to be vegan...
Something for him to consider:

"I give you all plants that bear seed everywhere on Earth, and every tree bearing fruit which yields seed: they shall be yours for food. All green plants I give for food to the wild animals, to all the birds of heaven, and to all reptiles on Earth, every living creature, it shall be theirs for food." (Genesis 1:29-31)
BlueMts likes this.
#19 Old 05-14-2017, 01:38 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
my gp knows and was supportive of me becoming vegan my minster is from an LGBT church he works with people with mental health problems he thinks am trying to do it because of my eating disorder and my OCD my husband says i can be part vegan witch isnt what i want to be my husband is telling me to compromise with him but i want to be vegan
they think because am mentally ill that i cant make a choice i dont want to be the reason animals are killed or abused because of me wanting to eat i feel very strongly about this there is a girl who is vegan at one of the groups i go to and i am thinking about talking to her but i dont want to get my minster in trouble as he is also a friend as well my husband says he is concerned about me and my welfare but i think him and my husband have gone too far in telling me want i can and cant eat
Last night me and my husband has a major fight about this that seems to have lasted a while with me getting more and more upset and at the end i felt like i needed to self injure witch i tried to and my husband stopped me from doing
I feel so upset right now sorry
i have decided that i am going to be vegan and i dont care what they say to me my minster i cant seem to say no to him because he a man of God ... my husband knows this
I want to do this

Hi Willow,

When people tell me that veganism is some kind of "starvation diet", I get the feeling that they think that it's just salads and fruit. They don't realize how hearty and filling vegan food is (and should be)!

Maybe ask the minister to look at these photos of vegan foods. These are not starvation foods!

BlueMts and blue_green_gold like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 05-14-2017 at 02:01 PM.
#20 Old 05-14-2017, 01:52 PM
Vegan since 1991

Next time, maybe you could have the church send over one of the lady ministers, instead of the guy. I know I'm promoting stereotypes (and 1980s stereotypes at that), but the lesbian community used to be a strong advocacy group for vegetarianism. Back in college (early 1990s), some of my friends had buttons that said, "Another Eco-Feminist Lesbian Vegetarian".

BlueMts likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 05-14-2017 at 02:05 PM.
#21 Old 05-17-2017, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Did you look at this website:Christian Vegetarian Association

And there's this one Another Christian Vegetarian Association

Please do, and contact them with your concerns too. They are Christians so may be able to help you with your minister issues.

Here's how to send a message to the UK Christian Vegetarian Association:

http://www.christianvegetarians.com/...ifference.html

Or you can email them here:

[email protected]

Secondly there is this to show your husband. Or maybe you could learn to cook?

BlueMts likes this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 05-17-2017 at 12:26 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page