4Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By SapphireLightning
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 04-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Vegan since 1991

Dunkin' Donuts vegan options

Where I live (Southern California), Dunkin' Donut houses are popping up everywhere.

Dunkin' Donuts actually has a vegan webpage that lists their vegan options: https://news.dunkindonuts.com/intern...eet%202016.pdf

Bad News:
- Their donuts aren't vegan.

Good News:
- Almost all of their bagels are vegan.
- Their hash browns, English muffins, flatbread, and French rolls are all vegan.
- When ordered with almond milk, their lattes, macchiatos, and chilled Coffee Coolattas are all vegan.
- Their strawberry and orange Coolatta frozen beverages are vegan.
- All Flavor Shots are vegan.

Sboone11 likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 04-25-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-26-2017, 11:54 PM
Look ma! No hooves!

Thanks for the info! Now I can finally get vegan bagels to bring home! There are no vegan bagels to be found here where I live for some reason. Also, were Dunkin Donuts not common in California? I thought they have been everywhere in the US for 4 or 5 decades...

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
#3 Old 04-27-2017, 02:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Where I live (Southern California), Dunkin' Donut houses are popping up everywhere.

Good News:
- Almost all of their bagels are vegan.

I'm not so sure that a vegan should eat anything sold at Dunkin' Donut houses. In any case, before you eat a bagel there, perhaps you should check this out: http://www.eatthis.com/5-grossest-ad...s-youre-eating

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-27-2017, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireLightning View Post
Thanks for the info! Now I can finally get vegan bagels to bring home! There are no vegan bagels to be found here where I live for some reason. Also, were Dunkin Donuts not common in California? I thought they have been everywhere in the US for 4 or 5 decades...
Thomas brand plain bagels might be vegan (the only question is the minute amount of sugar in the ingredients). The mono and diglycerides in them are vegetable based. And they do not have L Cysteine in them.

I'm not a fan of fast food restaurant chains myself and have avoided them for years (since long before I went vegan). But I still think it is a good thing that more and more of them are offering plant based options, which means fewer animal based options. The more plant based options these places offer, the less demand for animal based products. I have to wonder which came first though, the rise of fast food and large grocery chains, or factory farming, and how much the two have influenced one another.
Purp likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 04-27-2017, 12:50 PM

Thank you so much for sharing! I just saw one here in California last week and I freaked out! :-)
#6 Old 04-28-2017, 09:48 PM
Look ma! No hooves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Jonker View Post
I'm not so sure that a vegan should eat anything sold at Dunkin' Donut houses. In any case, before you eat a bagel there, perhaps you should check this out: http://www.eatthis.com/5-grossest-ad...s-youre-eating
Oh trust me, I am aware of such stuff. I have been vegan for 5 years, and I avoid foods with all of the animal derived additives. The bagels I find around here I do buy because they include of the following: L-cysteine, Datum, "enzymes", honey, lard/tallow, mono/diglycerides, as well as others. I simply cannot find simple vegan bagel... Last time I checked, a bagel was supposed to be, flour, water, leavening, salt. Period. Oh well.
Purp likes this.

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
#7 Old 04-29-2017, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireLightning View Post
Oh trust me, I am aware of such stuff. I have been vegan for 5 years, and I avoid foods with all of the animal derived additives. The bagels I find around here I do buy because they include of the following: L-cysteine, Datum, "enzymes", honey, lard/tallow, mono/diglycerides, as well as others. I simply cannot find simple vegan bagel... Last time I checked, a bagel was supposed to be, flour, water, leavening, salt. Period. Oh well.
Thomas's plain bagels (At least those- maybe some flavors?) are vegan-

ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], WATER, SUGAR, YEAST, WHEAT GLUTEN, SALT, CORNMEAL, CALCIUM PROPIONATE AND SORBIC ACID (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), MONOGLYCERIDES, CELLULOSE GUM, CITRIC ACID, XANTHAN GUM, SOY LECITHIN.

They address the monoglycerides in the FAQ are vegetable
https://thomasbreads.com/products/plain-bagels
SapphireLightning likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 04-29-2017, 10:49 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Jonker View Post
I'm not so sure that a vegan should eat anything sold at Dunkin' Donut houses. In any case, before you eat a bagel there, perhaps you should check this out: www.eatthis.com/5-grossest-additives-youre-eating

Dunkin Donuts bagel ingredients do appear to be vegan:

Blueberry bagel ingredients:
Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Sugar, Sugar Infused Wild Blueberries [Blueberry, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Glycerol, Safflower Oil, Citric Acid, Calcium Lactate, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Natural Blueberry Flavors], Craisins (Sugar, Cranberries, Blueberry Juice from Concentrate, Grape Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Oil), Yeast, Wheat Gluten, Degermed Yellow Corn Meal, Salt, Malt Extract, Natural Blueberry Flavor, Natural Ferment Flavor (Cultured Wheat and Wheat Malt Flours, Vinegar, Salt), Blueberries, Dough Conditioner (Malted Barley Flour, Enzymes, Dextrose), Soy (Trace).

Cinnamon raisin bagel ingredients:
nriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Raisins, Sugar, Wheat Gluten, Degermed Yellow Corn Meal, Malt Extract, Yeast, Salt, Natural Ferment Flavor (Cultured Wheat and Wheat Malt Flours, Vinegar, Salt), Cinnamon, Caramel Color, Molasses, Dough Conditioner [Malted Barley Flour, Enzymes (Trace Soy), Dextrose].

Multigrain bagel ingredients:
Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Enzymes, Ascorbic Acid added as Dough Conditioner), Water, Whole Wheat Flour, Sugar, Wheat Gluten, Sunflower Seeds, Flax Seeds, Millets, Yeast, Oat Fiber, Malt Extract, Molasses Blackstrap, Vegetable Oil (Canola and/or Soybean), Sea Salt, Honey, Degermed Yellow Corn Meal, Wheat Bran, Fermented Wheat Flour, Dough Conditioner (Dextrose, Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour), Enzymes, Soy (Trace); Topping: Oats, Whole Wheat Flour, Barley, Wheat Bran, Sesame Seeds and Sunflower Seeds

Link: https://www.dunkindonuts.com/en/food...-snacks/bagels

Also, Dunkin Donuts explicitly says that their bagels are vegan: https://news.dunkindonuts.com/intern...eet%202016.pdf . If this is not true, then they are risking a lawsuit.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page