10Likes
  • 2 Post By Thalassa
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By Thalassa
  • 2 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 03-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Question Best Vegan Mayonnaise Option/s?

I've still not found a mayonnaise that I really like. Most of the vegan mayo-like products I've tried have a 'plasticky' flavour that leaves me giving up on them.

What's the best tasting product out there, and where can I buy in the UK?

Alternatively if you make your own, what's the best recipe to use for texture and flavour?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
I've still not found a mayonnaise that I really like. Most of the vegan mayo-like products I've tried have a 'plasticky' flavour that leaves me giving up on them.

What's the best tasting product out there, and where can I buy in the UK?

Alternatively if you make your own, what's the best recipe to use for texture and flavour?

I think that Just Mayo is the absolute best. Vegenaise only seems acceptable to me when I get it on a sandwich in a restaurant where a chef has combined it with lots of other subtle flavors. At home, for throwing together a simpler sandwich for lunch, Just Mayo has a much better flavor.

I don't know where you would get it in the UK, sorry.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#3 Old 03-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sea...&isSearch=true

http://www.veganoo.net/2015/11/uk-re...aise-mayo.html

I'm the US, but it always seems like you UK'ers have better stuff!

I use Just Mayo, but the Veganaise I've had I liked a lot- esp the grapeseed, which was pricier

Earth Balance was good, and now Hellmans has a vegan mayo
Purp and Spudulika like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

I have made my own following a recipe like this-

http://simpleveganblog.com/vegan-mayonnaise/

That was good, but doesn't keep well.
There are healthy sub recipes for "mayo" using tofu and avocado

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 03-24-2017, 03:59 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sea...&isSearch=true

http://www.veganoo.net/2015/11/uk-re...aise-mayo.html

I'm the US, but it always seems like you UK'ers have better stuff!

I use Just Mayo, but the Veganaise I've had I liked a lot- esp the grapeseed, which was pricier

Earth Balance was good, and now Hellmans has a vegan mayo
I refuse to buy Hellmans, seeing as they actively tried to drive Just Mayo out of business instead of quietly producing their own vegan mayo to begin with.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#6 Old 03-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a fan of Just Mayo but I assume they do not have that in the U.K.?

My favorite go to homemade mayo is a nut based one and I loosely base my own recipe off this one:

https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/201...an-mayonnaise/

I use way less or no oil in mine. I usually just double or triple the amount of lite coconut milk or even use other plant milks in place. If I get the ratio wrong I might add a pinch of oil to smooth it out. I honestly have made this so much I don't even measure, just throw stuff in the blender (I have a high speed blender, but a food processor works too) in estimated amounts that look right to me, and adjust as I blend. I usually make a bigger batch than the recipe and use more nuts, more liquid. I might even add a pinch of maple syrup. I have also used blanched almonds (I often cheat and buy them already blanched at the store in the baking section) in place of cashews as they are cheaper and slightly more neutral in flavor. I have used this homemade mayo to make waldorf salad and I even brought a huge batch of homemade waldorf salad and this mayo to work for a potluck and my coworkers loved it! Even a big shot doctor walked in on the potluck and tried it and was impressed, though he was hesitant at first lol.

In the U.S. I have heard of the following vegan mayo options:

Spectrum eggless Mayo
Vegannaise
Nayonnaise
Just Mayo
Hellman's Vegan Mayo

Nayonnaise has a low calorie version but is NASTY in my opinion. I found Spectrum eggless mayo to be very bland. Vegannaise is ok but too vinegery for me. I refuse to try Hellmans. I LOVE Hampton Creek's Just Mayo. My partner (who is not vegan) loves Just Mayo way more than traditional mayo and buys it exclusively.

I have also made avocado mayo and it is good too, but too far removed from traditional mayo for me to use it in a traditional way. I've made soy based mayo with soymilk and oil but I shudder at using that much oil and found that version too thin. I've made the tofu based mayo also but found it too bland and tofu tasting. Nuts to me are like magic for mayo, vegan "cheeses", sauces, thickening soups, and baking flaky crusts and gluten free stuff. I don't keep them around all the time though because I won't leave them alone lol. Blanched almonds tend to be safer with me as I don't tend to want to keep eating them like I do with cashews. These things are all treats/special occasions. I keep Just Mayo on hand but don't use it a ton. My partner uses it way more.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to use the Plamil that Holland & Barrets sell, but it has a funny plasticky flavour.

Just Mayo is the one I'd really like to try from the US. Tesco were going to bring Just Mayo into their shops about two years ago, but no show - maybe because of the law suit?

I suspect that the Hellmans product will probably be the first eggless mayonnaise to reach all our supermarkets, simply because of the size and brand power of the company. I hope it hurries up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page