• 1 Post By jaskins
  • 1 Post By SapphireLightning
  • 1 Post By Sidhuriel
  • 2 Post By Spudulika
  • 1 Post By SapphireLightning

#1 Old 02-25-2017, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Smile What should I do with my seitan?

I have the best part of a 1lb sausage of seitan in the fridge.

When I make it, it usually ends up in sandwiches for work, but I think PB won out this week as we have a huge jar of that.

Now I'm thinking I should use it up in something tasty tonight before it goes stale (I don't know what the life of homemade seitan is in the fridge - any thoughts)

My first thoughts are to do a mushroom and seitan stew with carrots and potatoes.

Anyone got any other good ideas? I have more in the freezer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Plant Powered

put it on a pizza!! I did that recently with some of my leftover seitan too, and it was stellar. Also excellent on nachos!
#3 Old 02-27-2017, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^that pizza idea sounds fantastic!

I just went to Sprouts and bought a TON of faux meats/vegan cheeses & faux dairy last night (I went a little overboard ). One of the things I bought was a package of sliced seitan that I'm so excited to try! The package suggested making faux philly cheese sandwiches out of it - once I stopped drooling I bought some onions and peppers and plan on trying that this week!
Spudulika likes this.

Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched. -Mindy Kaling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-27-2017, 11:56 PM
Look ma! No hooves!

When I make seitan sausage it is usually for pizza, or I cook it up in a pan (unsliced) with onions and green peppers, served with a side of spicy mustard and BBQ sauce. I also will tend to just eat it like a stick of pepperoni. :P
Spudulika likes this.

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
#5 Old 02-28-2017, 04:19 AM
Peace

Grill it and serve it with peanut satay sauce, stir fried veggies and jasmine rice
Spudulika likes this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#6 Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I used most of it in a stew with mushrooms, potatoes and carrots in a 'beefy' red wine and yeast extract stock, and it was blumming amazing. Soooo tasty. Had what was left of the first sausage in sarnis for work today with mustard and greens - really is so much better than any of the bought faux meat sandwich slices I've tried.
Symondezyn and Sidhuriel like this.
#7 Old 02-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Peace

Seitan is the best and most versatile meat sub out there if you ask me

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#8 Old 02-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I got an idea. Send me some. :P

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#9 Old 03-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Praise it.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#10 Old 03-08-2017, 12:01 AM
Look ma! No hooves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhuriel View Post
Seitan is the best and most versatile meat sub out there if you ask me
I stopped calling stuff like tofu/seitan/tempeh "meat substitutes" a long time ago. Whenever I would bring up how good a chunk of seitan I made was, I was always told something like "yeah but it is fake meat". I now tell people, no, it is seitan, it is its own food. Something completely different. It is savory and you can program the flavor and texture of it. I have gotten the "vegans eat too much fake food" lines, so I need to express that things like tofu and seitan are their own foods, and not fake in any way.
Spudulika likes this.

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page