5Likes
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By Thalassa
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 02-22-2017, 07:49 AM

Newly Vegan, Chapped Lips

I've been fully vegan for one week now. About three days into the transition I noticed that my lips became extremely dry, normally I never have chapped lips. I always stay hydrated as I exercise five days a week. I read online that a deficiency in vitamin b-2 can cause this. Has anyone else experienced this? How did you fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2017, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

One week isn't going to cause deficiencies in anything other than maybe calories, even if you ate nothing.
I use coconut oil, I keep it in an old contact case and stays solid in the winter, and sealed in the summer. Nothing changed when I went vegan-my skin got a whole lot better
What kind of foods are you eating? Saying vegan doesn't say what you eat, just what you don't eat.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 02-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Has the weather gotten colder where you live lately?
Thalassa likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Bandit

EOS and Mongo Kiss are both under five bucks, last quite a while and treat chapped lips. In the meantime drink water and use coconut oil.

In my experience, vegans actually look younger than meat eaters, but in its converse scenario, simply add more vegetable fat, like avacado, coconut and various oils, and drink wine or beer instead of liquor, with plenty of water.

Also take care of your face. That should apply to everyone past age 16.
Purp likes this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#5 Old 02-26-2017, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
EOS and Mongo Kiss are both under five bucks, last quite a while and treat chapped lips. In the meantime drink water and use coconut oil.

In my experience, vegans actually look younger than meat eaters, but in its converse scenario, simply add more vegetable fat, like avacado, coconut and various oils, and drink wine or beer instead of liquor, with plenty of water.

Thanks for the heads up about these two companies. Now all I need is to look for them at my local store(s) B)
Thalassa likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 03-07-2017, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Thanks for the heads up about these two companies. Now all I need is to look for them at my local store(s) B)
I don't use EOS as there is mixed information online as to if they are really cruelty free. I get a vegan lip balm at Whole Foods Maya company called Alafia for $3.
#7 Old 03-07-2017, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post

Your mention of EOS surprised me I have checked it in stores. I looked online to see if I was missing something-they all have beeswax!
Purp likes this.

#8 Old 11-02-2017, 06:26 AM

Did you ever get an answer on the chapped lips? My 14yr old daughter and I both decided to go vegan and after 4 days both had strange chapped stinging lips - like we have never had before. I'm assuming we are deficient in something, not knowing how to strike a good vegan balance, but not sure what. (taking iron, B12 and counting our calcium intake in food)
#9 Old 11-02-2017, 07:19 PM

A deficiency is not going to show up after 4 days. I'd look for an alternate explanation.

I don't suppose the two of you ate the new Halo Top vegan ice creams did you? I've heard that some people have a tingling reaction to them.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#10 Old 08-14-2020, 08:33 AM

I just want to add. After about 4 days, myself, my aunt, and my cousin who all decided to go vegan all had chapped lips. So to outright say that there couldn’t be a deficiency I think is too bold of a statement here. What helped me was omega-3. I take a vegan omega-3 supplement as well as add ground flax seeds to my smoothies and eat more avocados. This has helped immensely! If I find i start getting chapped lips I just make sure i eat more omega-3s. It’s almost crazy how correlated the two seem to be within my body. It could be worth a try to others who are experiencing this.
#11 Old 08-14-2020, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbidydibbidy View Post
I just want to add. After about 4 days, myself, my aunt, and my cousin who all decided to go vegan all had chapped lips. So to outright say that there couldn’t be a deficiency I think is too bold of a statement here. What helped me was omega-3. I take a vegan omega-3 supplement as well as add ground flax seeds to my smoothies and eat more avocados. This has helped immensely! If I find i start getting chapped lips I just make sure i eat more omega-3s. It’s almost crazy how correlated the two seem to be within my body. It could be worth a try to others who are experiencing this.
Four days or even a few weeks, will not cause any vitamin defiency. People have water fasted more than a month without creating any deficiencies.
Did your diet consist of seafoods? Other animal products don't really contain omega 3. As you found, nuts, seeds, avocado, and many sea vegetables have omega 3's. What's most important is the ratio of 3-6 and 9. Most oils are too high in omega 6.
I take a algae DHA supplement. DHA and EPA have to be converted from the right combo of 3-6-9, and many people don't do the conversion well. I found a noticable improvement in my focus, and my skin after just a few weeks. I had never been a fish eater.

Tags
chapped , lips , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page