VeggieBoards banner

Hardest to give up when going vegan

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Symondezyn 
#1 ·
I was never a big meat eater..but, pizza that was a different story...I work in New York City and they have a lot of great pizzerias there...pizza called my name for a while..thankfully I got over it.

#3 ·
If you work in New York City, you should have zero problems finding a chain or even independent restaurant which offers vegan cheese as an option on pizza. I live in Los Angeles and know four non-vegan pizza places just off the top of my head that have a vegan red sauce, olive oil and garlic base, or barbecue sauce as the sauce, have Daiya as an option, and have a variety of veggie and herb or even fruit or nut toppings. All are about 10 dollars or less for a pizza large enough for one or two people, three are chain restaurants and one is an awesome local place.

Use the Happy Cow app to find vegan pizza. Even in a small town you can order cheeseless pizza with extra sauce from a fast food pizza chain, like Pizza Hut or Papa John's.

You can also make this stuff at home. Last night I made spaghetti and meatballs, with Gardein meatless balls, regular semolina pasta, Francisco Rinaldi tomato basil sauce, Daiya mozzerella, and some crushed red pepper.

I've made pizza before with accidentally vegan crescent roll dough, a popular brand of pizza sauce (I don't think it was Ragu, it was one of the other ones, just read the ingredients), Daiya, chopped fresh veggies and canned sliced black olives. Just always use extra sauce on vegan pizza, that's my tip.

#4 ·
It's not so much a particular food that was hard to give up, but rather convenient foods. There are plenty of recipes out there to make all sorts of delicious desserts and snacks, but sometimes I miss the simplicity of grabbing a candy bar in the checkout line at the store, or picking up a donut in a coffee shop. It would be nice to find things to treat myself with that are 1.vegan and already made, and 2. affordable.

Reactions: jaskins
#5 ·
Hardest stuff to give up!

For me, it's eggs, fish and seafood. I live on the Gulf of Mexico and there is an abundance of fish and seafood here. I've always loved eggs cooked any ol' way too. I'm really new to this and I'm doing a lot of reading.
Pizza is easy because I skip the cheese and tell them to throw on the veggies. But, I've been doing that for a while. Since I'm in a small town, things like Vegan cheese don't appear here. I can find tofu, but silken tofu, miso paste, etc. don't appear either. I'm going to have to run into Florida (10 miles) or the next town over to do a more thorough search.

#6 ·
I really have no idea what (since I've yet to do so but have been making improvements in my life) - I think chocolate would be a big one, albeit I don't mind sugar free stuff so I have been told the vegan chocolate tastes well bad, but I think I could stomach it.

I have already cut out most of the cheese in my life so that was an issue.

I'll keep an eye on this though maybe it will help me see what I should start looking at before I make any permanent decisions.

#7 ·
Chocolate taste bad? Noooo.
I've always loved dark chocolate, and the ingredients should be simply some kind of sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa, maybe chocolate liquor. There are non dairy milk chocolates made with rice milk (maybe others, I've only seen rice milk) I find I'm satisfied with much less dark chocolate than milk, and will look for rainforest certified chocolates as most cocoa farming/harvesting is not sustainable as is coffee.

Cheese was certainly the hardest thing for me, as in years. I would say it was as hard to totally give up as cigarettes, and just as easy to become re-addicted. Esp pizza since it's such a group food

#9 ·
We have a friend who gives us vegan chocolate every Christmas. Delicious !

Hardest thing to give up - camembert cheese.

#11 ·
I haven't had too hard a time giving up anything since it's pretty easy to make vegan versions of almost anything, but cheese on pizza was definitely a hard one to replicate satisfactorily. Most vegan cheese substitutes leave - something - to be desired, so I got used to just ordering pizza with no cheese. If the pizza place has savoury toppings like grilled veggies, caramelized onions, roasted garlic, etc. it certainly makes things a LOT yummier! ^_^ or (when possible) I just make my own pizza, and make a nice non-dairy cheese sauce to go on top ^_^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.