The surroundings are weirding me out - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Maara
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 01-25-2017, 09:59 AM

The surroundings are weirding me out

Hello everyone, I know I'm very new to this, not even completely vegan yet (I'm getting there).
Quick background: I went lacto-ovo-pescetarian in september, I wasn't really planning on eating either dairy or fish at the time (was aiming for ovo-vegetarian) but I ended up being quite "chill" about it and ate whatever was served to me unless it was any other meat than fish.
Now: I was planning on transitioning slowly to vegan over february to make it less of a shock for my family that I eat with quite often, but I've found myself more and more weirded out by meat and especially dairy products. Suddenly all the recipes with meat look weird to me, my brother pouring up yoghurt looks weird, my grandmother laughing while saying what she will eat later (meat) feels weird, the milk in my parents fridge is weird, why is there sour cream in this lunch box? It is like I'm standing inside a bubble and looking out, on others, who all are cheerfully eating things that now feels completely barbaric to me, and it is everywhere. I haven't been able to eat anything offered to me since last week, it just feels too weird and wrong. I don't like going to the store anymore, I just end up staring at products and leaving empty handed.

I guess this transition is going to be faster than I thought, at least when it comes to food.

Is this something that hits everyone when they decide to go vegan? I knew very well that I was eating animals etc before, I have not really learned anything new more than that I'm able to live just fine without it. I guess I don't know why I feel so weird about it all, empty in a sense.

I'm not sure what i wanted with this all, to "get it out", maybe.
Thalassa likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2017, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

This makes perfect sense on every level, I can relate, I am sure many vegans and vegetarians can!

It seems to me that you are well on your way to being a vegan, or at least very close to that.
#3 Old 01-25-2017, 11:53 AM
Vegan since 1991

Yes, I can relate. I remember feeling this way too.

It's important to remember that your family is still your family - they are some of the most important people in your life. They may not understand certain things the way that you do now, but they are still the same people who raised you, and who love you. It's probably not realistic to expect them to change their mind about these things, at least not right away. If some of your family members do decide to try vegetarianism, it will be because they are inspired by your health and enjoyment. They will not be inspired by criticism. Ask me how I know!
121938 likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-25-2017, 11:55 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maara View Post
I haven't been able to eat anything offered to me since last week, it just feels too weird and wrong. I don't like going to the store anymore, I just end up staring at products and leaving empty handed.

You are eating food though, right?
Dilettante likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 01-25-2017, 08:14 PM

Thank you both for the replies, I have not changed how I view my family, and I am not an outspoken person when it comes to my views on things, so becoming a "vocal vegan" has never really been a thought. I have not mentioned this to them at all, I would come off as nuts (haha). I still like my family, my feeling towards them hasn't changed because of this, I mean, this behaviour is pretty much world wide, isn't it? It is more my world view that is changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
You are eating food though, right?
I went home to my place again to have something to eat, before I've usually just eaten whatever they had, so looking into their fridge to find vegan options wasn't really that easy... I mean, pasta with ketchup and nothing more, porridge without milk, bread without anything on it. Yeah, I left to go to my place.
#6 Old 01-25-2017, 09:02 PM
Bandit

Yes.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page