4Likes
  • 1 Post By yourvegankitchen
  • 1 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By Sidhuriel
  • 1 Post By 121938

#1 Old 01-15-2017, 05:17 PM

Thumbs up Passionate Facebook Groups

Hey guys,

I have been a member of a lot of Vegan Facebook groups for a while now.

Lately though, I have noticed that there is a lot of passionate (for a nice word) posts and comments. Some are really getting out of hand.

People getting kicked out, swearing, etc....

Are these posts good for the community? Is it helping anyone?

Just wanted to hear some thoughts

- Gregg
leedsveg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not in any, but sometimes I read the posts from the open groups. Some of them make me think "Now I see why people hate vegans".
As for do they help anyone... There are people who have gone vegan with that approach, but overall I think it distances people from veganism more than attracts.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 01-16-2017, 12:57 AM
Peace

One of the reasons it took me long to become vegan is that every time I joined a support group during my transition there would always be agressive types telling me that I wasnt doing enough or it wasnt fast enough or that I was using my very real and extremely present Crohns disease as an excuse not to take the plunge.

People do not realise how much such comments can put one off commiting to veganism, what is the point of health shaming someone who is trying to make your point?

The animals certainly do not need people who attack vegetarians who want to turn vegan but have problems doing so. I think everyone with a serious interest in Veganism should be welcomed with open arms, and throwing around judgements about someone you do not know has never worked in favor of any argument.
leedsveg likes this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 AM

It's why I'm willing to tell non-vegans I'm transitioning to veganism but not vegans.
#5 Old 01-16-2017, 07:20 AM
Beginner

The only ones I dispute with are the bozo's who come onto say a MFA page and do the 'mmmm, bacon' BS. Or the odd dairy farmer who insists that they are really nice dairy farmers and they treat their cows like their family. Other than that, encourage, encourage, encourage. And educate.

But to the opening posts question, I think unfortunately, some of those folks are maybe the ones who are newly horrified about what goes on and their anger is like the pressure cooker with no vent and they just want to change it now, not later, now, now, now. And while I totally understand their anger and the language and attitude, you're right, it doesn't help the cause.

I don't know what the answer is, save to try and soothe them and help them see that they aren't helping.
leedsveg likes this.

Last edited by 121938; 01-16-2017 at 07:36 AM.
#6 Old 01-16-2017, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Not a Facebook group but I've been on a veg*n forum where a member was arguing about not donating blood "because it might be given to, and save the life of, an omni child".

Lv
#7 Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 PM
Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Not a Facebook group but I've been on a veg*n forum where a member was arguing about not donating blood "because it might be given to, and save the life of, an omni child".

Lv
Wow that is just absurd to say the least.

I got replies like ´sure you suffer from your illness, but the animals suffer too so how are you more special?´

To the extent even that if my illness is so bad maybe they should euthanize me if I could not live without animal products in medicine.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#8 Old 01-16-2017, 10:38 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

Lv
Giving blood isn't a requirement though, and some vegans are childfree or otherwise want to reduce the human population for environmental reasons. I think a vegan not wanting to give blood to a potentially toxic carbon footprint is a perfectly rational reason. Though it's definitely not humanist, I mean who really cares.

Vegans should spend more time complaining about omnis than each other.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#9 Old 01-16-2017, 10:43 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhuriel View Post
Wow that is just absurd to say the least.

I got replies like ´sure you suffer from your illness, but the animals suffer too so how are you more special?´

To the extent even that if my illness is so bad maybe they should euthanize me if I could not live without animal products in medicine.
Probably because it's only humans who are rapidly destroying the only earth we have to live on, and that's a fact, not a "belief."

People are weirdly obsessed with children in the Western world, and it doesn't measure up to historical love of children, it's become weirdly romanticized in the past 100 years or so.

We need trees and wildlife to survive as a species, more than we need more meat eating human children.

Ingrid Newkirk
#10 Old 01-16-2017, 11:02 PM
Bandit

I think there are likely a lot of fake vegans, or plant based eaters in the group, and the more militant vegans are pissed off, which is probably why they're swearing. I only belong to one Facebook vegan group, but they mostly seem to be real vegans and I've never argued with anyone there. NOW, a webpage or YouTube video on veganism with comments is a different story entirely.

Does it help anyone? Yes, it helps the animals, who is what this is about, and possibly the future of mankind if we don't commit suicide ecologically within a few brief decades. Some people are more likely to listen to loud, passionate or angry vegans...and some non-vegans take vegan tolerance or apologetics as license to continue to use animal products, and I think it is delusional to think you can change people by being overly permissive or by compromising your own values. That's what victims of spousal abuse do. I can assure you that the likelihood of changing an omni bully or fake vegan by enabling or scaffolding them is about -2.

That being said, some people are poor communicators when they're upset. I am. That's not meant to "help" anyone. Typically it's an authentic venting of frustration. Facebook groups aren't PETA campaigns. Vegans aren't superhuman, and many real vegans see the danger in secular humanism.

Ingrid Newkirk

Tags
facebook , feedback , groups , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page