Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Thalassa
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl

#1 Old 01-08-2017, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

50,000 People Are Going Vegan in January

Quote:
The number of people pledging to go vegan in January as part of the Veganuary campaign have reached a record high of over 50,000 participants. The campaign launched in the United Kingdom in 2014 with the mission of changing public attitudes about the vegan lifestyle and has continued to gain support in subsequent years. The 2015 Veganuary campaign drew in more than 12,000 pledges, which doubled to 23,000 participants in 2016. Restaurants such as Pret A Manger have developed new menu items to serve those interested in eschewing animal products in January. “The support of high street restaurants and well-known brand names has brought a lot of attention to Veganuary, “ the organization’s co-founder Jane Land tells VegNews. “Knowing that good food is easily available makes a huge difference and is part of the reason why more than half of Veganuary participants choose to stay vegan at the end of the month.” In November, the organization launched a 2,000-poster campaign inside the London subway system to encourage residents to adopt a vegan diet, which Veganuary media manager Kate Fowler estimates effectively brought 7,000 new participants on board in 2017.
Read the rest here: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=8859&catId=1

Welcome newbies!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2017, 02:48 AM
Peace

This is such great news!

Heads up to everyone trying it out there!

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#3 Old 01-09-2017, 06:34 AM

Sound like we are in a competition really. The sole benefiter of a mass movement is the leadership.
beginning a new eating habit is way easier than maintaining one.

People should worry about how many vegans you loose. Every lost vegan makes 16 people shy away from vegan.
Every convinced vegan has the possibility to convince 10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-09-2017, 07:20 AM

Many more, I hope!
#5 Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Bandit

There are significantly more vegans in the UK than the United States, or people who are mostly plant based despite not being vegan. We need something like Veganuary in the US. I mean we can push it here on the Internet but we need mass marketed campaigns which have nothing to do with PETA. PETA 2 is reaching more Millenials, in a more approachable way, with apps, texts, movies and fast food recommendations, but as much as I respect PETA, many many die hard meattards, the sort of people who openly hate veganism or are extremely paranoid of it, hate PETA. People like that also don't care about Mercy for Animals. We need other avenues IRL in the US.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#6 Old 01-11-2017, 09:08 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2178 View Post
Sound like we are in a competition really. The sole benefiter of a mass movement is the leadership.
beginning a new eating habit is way easier than maintaining one.

People should worry about how many vegans you loose. Every lost vegan makes 16 people shy away from vegan.
Every convinced vegan has the possibility to convince 10.

Not competition - normalization. And even if someone tried but don't become fully vegan this month, they might in six months, a year, three years.
Werewolf Girl and David3 like this.

Ingrid Newkirk
#7 Old 01-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
Not competition - normalization. And even if someone tried but don't become fully vegan this month, they might in six months, a year, three years.
Exactly! I tried and failed at being vegan many times before it stuck, it just took awhile to learn all the issues and figure out what to eat etc.

If we act like we're some exclusive club and try to discourage people from being vegan because they're not vegan enough and didn't go vegan overnight or do everything "perfectly" we aren't going to help any animals. We need to offer education, encouragement and support.
David3 likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#8 Old 01-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
There are significantly more vegans in the UK than the United States, or people who are mostly plant based despite not being vegan. We need something like Veganuary in the US. I mean we can push it here on the Internet but we need mass marketed campaigns which have nothing to do with PETA. PETA 2 is reaching more Millenials, in a more approachable way, with apps, texts, movies and fast food recommendations, but as much as I respect PETA, many many die hard meattards, the sort of people who openly hate veganism or are extremely paranoid of it, hate PETA. People like that also don't care about Mercy for Animals. We need other avenues IRL in the US.

There are other movements around, though they haven't made the news much.

I think that Mercy For Animals has a good approach. They don't tend to shame people into becoming vegetarians. Awhile back, they produced some well-made vegetarian public service videos. The videos don't shame people who eat meat. Rather, they portray them as nice people (because they are) - people who come to realization that makes them think.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 01-14-2017 at 12:41 PM.
#9 Old 01-25-2017, 11:09 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
There are other movements around, though they haven't made the news much.

I think that Mercy For Animals has a good approach. They don't tend to shame people into becoming vegetarians. Awhile back, they produced some well-made vegetarian public service videos. The videos don't shame people who eat meat. Rather, they portray them as nice people (because they are) - people who come to realization that makes them think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdLRrUocOA
When I am calm and completely rational and lucid, I see that everyone from PETA to Mercy for Animals to Freelee have an approach which will work on SOMEONE, because humans are complex creatures with assorted personalities, and different people respond to different approaches.

But as a general, personal statement. ..the state of the earth's resources and climate aren't what people presumed in the 60s, 70s or 80s, we really don't have time to baby sit people and their particular neuroses, and the Trump administration is making that time seem even shorter. Nearly 1 billion people are starving, 2016 was the hottest year on record, and factory farming capitalist objectification is out of control. We just don't have time for this nonsense. Campaigns are going to have to become more aggressively psychological and laws are going to have to be enforced. I also don't agree that everyone is nice. Meat eater or vegan, I think to presume people are inherently "nice" is to blatantly ignore the enormous callous self absorption of the entirety of modern Western culture

Ingrid Newkirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page