VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegan Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/)
-   -   Vegan Weight Loss (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/216026-vegan-weight-loss.html)

robinson00 10-15-2016 11:07 PM

Vegan Weight Loss

I am so frustrated! I've have been working out 6 days a week and eating a clean plant based diet strictly for 7 weeks now and NOTHING about my body has changed. I have experienced this earlier this year when i tried to loose weight. I have been vegan for almost a year now and i must say the weight loss aspect is false. I have not had any processed foods (all whole foods), i don't count my calories nor do i overeat or but eat until i am satisfied. Mornings i have either oat porridge or a banana and kale smoothie. Lunch is sweet potatoes, corn, peas and some sort of green veggie (sometimes i add beans). Dinner is rice and a dish with salad.
I've been running since mid this year, and have added HIIT workouts because apparently running does not burn enough calories or whatever. STILL with the added HIIT workouts i have no change. I have noticed that i am definitely fitter and feel happier BUT my body is still the same; overweight. It is not just the weight, i have measured my body with tape and the number is still the same.
I can't express enough how disappointed i am, i have poured my heart and soul into exercising and eating right. I'm almost at the verge of giving up!! The last thing i want is to go on a conventional 'diet'. I just don't know what i'm doing wrong.

jessandreia 10-15-2016 11:38 PM

You need to be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight, so you do kind of need to count calories.
The general rule is that by burning 3500 calories (500 per day in one week), you lose 1 pound.

This calculator tells you how many calories you burn per day. In order to lose weight, you need to eat below that number of calories.

https://tdeecalculator.net/

P.S. While inserting the numbers, do not over-estimate the amount of exercise. That will give you a higher number of calories you need to eat.

jessandreia 10-15-2016 11:49 PM

Also, I recommend watching Obese to Beast on YouTube. Not a vegan channel (so, hopefully it's OK to mention him here), but he lost a huge amount of weight and has some advice videos about weight loss.

silva 10-16-2016 05:48 AM

You don't say your weight and height. How much you need to lose is relative to what your current weight is.
You mention 'sometimes' adding beans to lunch. While pretty much everything has some protein, they don't have it in high enough amounts to not include beans, legumes, seeds, whole grains...

You should do a calorie/nutrition daily tracker for a while-comparing it to your previous diet. Sparkpeople.com, cronometer.com, fitday.com

I don't really know what all is involved in 'clean' eating. I've only thought of that in terms of organic, little to no processing, whole foods.
Have you read anything like Eat to Live from Dr Furhman?

Jamie in Chile 10-16-2016 09:17 AM

This must be really frustrating. Sometimes, life just isn't fair.

I have struggled with weight for some years, I found personally that exercise or lack thereof made little difference since the exercise caused me to then want to eat more.

I did manage to lose weight on a vegan diet quite quickly, but I did this by eating less food. I never ate anything unless I was actually hungry, rarely snacked outside meals, and tried to eat fruit when I did. If I got hungry within about 2-3 hours of the next planned meal, I would just put up with it and be hungry. I also tried to eat about 2-3 times a week a really unsatisfying meal that would leave me hungry straight away, like a small salad, so it was basically an element of forcing my body to use up stored fat by fasting.

Probably not what you want to hear but I can't see how you can change the foods in your diet that much, it already looks really good.

Once I did the above for 6 months I reached my ideal weight and I now find it easier to maintain a stable weight on a vegan diet.

Best of luck.

Naturebound 10-16-2016 02:04 PM

Though I am a low normal weight and have never really needed to lose weight, at one time several years ago I was injured and could not exercise for several months as intensively as I wanted to, and I actually dropped a lot of weight, going from mildly underweight at that time to severely underweight. I tend to exercise a LOT, about 1.5 hours five days a week and usually a long mountain bike ride, hike, canoeing, snowshoe or whatever on Saturdays. Sunday is supposed to be my rest due but...

At any rate, it was a surprise to me that I dropped weight by not exercising. I used to be terrified I would pile on weight if I didn't exercise, but I think stressing your body with a lot of exercise raises cortisol levels and makes your body hold on to every calorie (unless of course you feed it enough). When you do have a day you eat more, it tends to stay on you more. This also holds true if you eat too little. A few times in my life I found a "sweet spot" where I was eating a good bit but below what I needed to maintain, and balancing that with moderate exercise and I dropped to a dangerously low weight. But of course at a certain point your body's survival mechanisms kick in and it sends out hormonal signals (leptin, insulin, etc) and it becomes harder to keep weight off or lose more.

so to make a long story short, maybe you are exercising too much and/or eating too little? Do you take a day or two off each week? Also, resistance, calisthenics, and weight lifting types of exercises help build more muscle, which in turn increases metabolism throughout the day compared to steady cardio. So a combo of weight training and cardio, along with a rest day here and there, and eating at only a slight deficit, might help. Also, sometimes you might be building more muscle and losing a little fat at the same time, so your measurements might not change right away and it won't register on the scale.

David3 10-16-2016 02:36 PM

This sounds very frustrating!

Please consider this, though. Because you have been consistently exercising, you have almost certainly gained muscle mass. And, if your weight is still the same, then you must have lost fat. This is excellent work: You have more muscle and less fat. You have improved your health, fitness, and strength.

With some additional small changes to your diet, you can lose weight.

What is your current height and weight?

David3 10-16-2016 03:01 PM

I respectfully disagree with the claim that you must deny yourself food when you are hungry. If you choose more lower calorie-density foods, then you can eat the same volume of food, yet still reduce your calorie intake.

I want to encourage you to make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian who specializes in vegetarian diets and in weight loss. They can quickly help you to modify your existing diet, in order to achieve your desired weight loss.

In the United States, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through this website: http://www.eatright.org . Just click on the "Find an Expert" button, located in the upper-right-hand portion of the webpage.

In the U.K., you can find a local Registered Dietitian on the Freelance Dietitians website: http://www.freelancedietitians.org/

In New Zealand, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the Dietitians New Zealand website: http://dietitians.org.nz/find-a-dietitian/

In Canada, you can find a local Registered Dietitian at the Dietitians of Canada website: http://www.dietitians.ca/Find-a-Dietitian.aspx .

Thalassa 10-16-2016 03:36 PM

Is it that you actually don't need to lose weight? You don't say your weight or height, so the exercise might just be making you healthier or more toned because you don't need to drop pounds. Your body will hang on to weight it thinks it needs.

Also, it could very well be that you've lost fat, but gained muscle, so don't see much actual weight loss since muscle weighs more than fat.

Other problems could be that you actually aren't eating enough calories for your activity level, something that will also cause your weight to stagnate. Someone as active as you are probably still needs 1600-1800 calories to lose weight at a healthy pace, and more like 2000-2200 to maintain your weight with the same level of activity.

I remember reading about a runner who said she lost more weight eating 1600 instead of 1300 calories, because when her calories were too low her body wouldn't let go of any weight.

silva 10-16-2016 04:01 PM

I'm also wondering if the OP truly needs to lose.
Check the BMI charts-- which are really just a quide and can be too low for some body types-- but as long as your desired weight to height ratio is there you should at least be ok. These charts don't account for muscular builds, those should weight more.

robinson00 10-17-2016 12:07 AM

Yes of course sorry, my weight is 64.8kg which is around 142 pounds and my height is 164cm. I would say that i am overweight, not extremely but enough to know that there is a substantial amount to lose.

robinson00 10-17-2016 12:10 AM

David, I have measured myself with tape and the number hasn't budged, i believe that if i were to be losing fat and gaining muscle, that my legs would become smaller, therefore the tape would show change.

jessandreia 10-17-2016 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinson00 (Post 4023386)
Yes of course sorry, my weight is 64.8kg which is around 142 pounds and my height is 164cm. I would say that i am overweight, not extremely but enough to know that there is a substantial amount to lose.

Technically, you are still within the normal weight range of the bmi. Almost at the end, but there nonetheless.
I see no harm in losing 5 kg or so, though. It would put you closer to the middle of that normal range, and if it makes you happier...

The amount of calories you lose during workouts depend on your body weight. Since you're only 142 pounds, you won't burn as many calories per hour as, say, someone who weighs 200 pounds.

Jamie in Chile 10-17-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David3 (Post 4023274)
I respectfully disagree with the claim that you must deny yourself food when you are hungry.

What that in reference to what I said or something else? If it was, I never said anyone must do anything or made any claim, I purely described my personal experience.

Before, when I was a meat eater, I actually had to go hungry just to maintain weight, at least now on a vegan diet I only need to go hungry when I actually want to lose weight which is a big improvement. :)

I have actually been considering recommending a vegan diet to others on this basis, so successful has my own weight loss been, so it's good to hear the different experiences of the OP which make me hesitate to do such a thing until I've heard more about others' experiences.

When I say "go hungry" I am not really talking about starving myself, it's just some basic things like not snacking in the two hours before a meal, and a lot can be achieved before even getting to that point, like if someone offers you a slice of cake or a biscuit, don't eat it if you don't feel hungry at that particular moment. Or, eating a portion size that is enough to deal with your hunger, not so much you feel really really full.

If you eat three meals a day like me, then it doesn't seem so bad that you will have some periods of hunger in advance of meals.

You do have to be careful and balance it right, since if you overdo it you may lose concentration at work, or when driving a car (which can come in the hour before dinner for some people), or become weak when exercising, so there can be consequences to your performance or health or even something dangerous in an extreme case. I knew what I was doing with regards myself, but others can decide for themselves. But what I did was mostly more nuanced, I wasn't starving hungry, but just feeling a bit peckish but knew there was a meal coming up soon so I waited.

I honestly don't know if this is relevant to the OP, or to any of the lurkers following these kinds of threads, but a range of opinions can help people decide for themselves. Weight loss seems to be fairly different matter for each person.

tpkyteroo luebeck 10-22-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinson00 (Post 4023394)
David, I have measured myself with tape and the number hasn't budged, i believe that if i were to be losing fat and gaining muscle, that my legs would become smaller, therefore the tape would show change.

I would suggest getting a good Physical Trainer, as they can get a workout that works for you, and help you change it up so that your body is always guessing instead of becoming stagnant as it becomes used to the workout.

Also, if the body thinks it is not getting enough calories, it will conserve instead of losing the weight. Best Wishes!

Gallo 10-29-2016 07:09 AM

You are eating too much calories, it is that simple. It doesn't matter that you are on a vegan diet, if you eat the same amount of calories as you did before.

H_SPrincess 11-05-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinson00 (Post 4023386)

Hi!
Although I'm so not close to your stats, I've been losing weight consistently in the past months. Since nearly 2 months I decided to change my diet and go vegan and I'm still losing weight.
Like others say, to lose weight you need a calorie deficit and seeing that you are already within a normal weight range and you are not tracking your foods, you might be simply eating too much or not filling in your macros (proteins, carbs, fat) properly.
I use myfitnesspal to track all my food, their database is amazing and the community even more.
I highly suggest to buy a food scale (if you haven't got one yet - always use grams not cups, spoons and stuff) and track your food. Try it for two weeks and see :)

I just want to add that exercise is important, you need to keep your body active in order for it to work properly BUT it won't let you lose weight. So get your steps in, do some nice cardio, lift heavy and do some yoga but don't do all this and expect 1 pound less the day after.

Good luck and let me know if you join MFP , you can add me if you want :)