• 1 Post By Symondezyn
  • 1 Post By tpkyteroo luebeck
  • 2 Post By silva

#1 Old 10-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Ripple- new plant based milk

I just got this at Target-
http://ripplefoods.com/
It's a new vegan milk made from pea protein--it's nut free, and gluten free. High in protein, calcium, iron and D-low fat and less sugar. Their website even breaks own it's environmental impact.

I tried the chocolate one--loved it! It's thick, rich, and tastes great. I can't compare it to dairy milk, but I never quite liked chocolate soy.
I paid about $4.50-- and it's a 48oz bottle rather than 64 oz carton--pricey. I will be looking for sales and coupons-there is a coupon on the site now.

With the prices for organic dairy milk, and the lactose free dairy milks this is still a better deal regardless of whether you're vegan

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

That looks good!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 10-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I liked it - I tried the unsweetened variety, and it has a nice neutral flavor. A little thinner than soymilk, I would say, but I believe it's also lower in calories. I didn't try cooking with it.

I don't like that it isn't fortified with B12 - a major flaw in a plant milk. I won't be buying it regularly until they change that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-15-2016, 04:42 PM
Vegan since 1991

This is great, especially if it encourages more people to avoid dairy milk.

It does lead me to suspect that people are avoiding soy, based on unsubstantiated anti-soy blogs.

Criminal that they charge so much for it, considering that split peas are about the cheapest of all legumes.
Tom and Thalassa like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 10-15-2016, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't been able to find it here yet. They never seem to have it at my local Target. :/ I plan to stop there again tomorrow and check though. I would like to try it at least once, though I am not sure it will be a regular drinking plant milk for me given the price and difficulty getting it.

I LOVE soy milk and would drink it every day if it didn't drive up my TSH and cause me to need a higher dose of thyroid med. I can get away with a day or two a week drinking soy milk or eating tofu, tempeh etc. But when I start eating/drinking it daily it does seem to affect absorption of my thyroid meds and I have to go in, have it checked and end up on a higher dose. Otherwise I am not anti soy at all and I believe it has some great benefits. Many years ago, in about 1999 or 2000, I started drinking soy milk when I began to have trouble digesting dairy products (this was around the same time endometriosis reared it's ugly head and my immune system went haywire; I had strep throat, shingles, and a respiratory infection inside of two years). When almond milk came out I switched to that due to the thyroid issues becoming more prevalent, and I was so grateful for it because I couldn't handle dairy milk at all (not to mention cheese). the choices of plant milks now are mindboggling! There is flaxseed and sesame seed milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, hemp milk, rice milk, pea milk, soy milk, almond milk.

I do think soy milk offers the most bang for nutritional value. It is high in protein (and a complete protein too), some brands are fortified with B12, it has a good percentage of calcium and fortified D, it is easy to cook with and makes an excellent "buttermilk" when lemon juice or vinegar is added (and is the only plant milk that will curdle with this technique). Some brands are made very simply with only soybeans and water, while others are enriched etc so you get a variety of options.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 10-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

At my local Target, I seem to remember it being approximately similar in price to the other plant milks, which are overpriced to start with. My understanding is that the price of plant milks depends more on the price of dairy than on the intrinsic cost of making the product.
#7 Old 10-16-2016, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to Target today and lo and behold they had pea milk! But instead of buying the large containers, I bought two 12 ounce bottles to try it out first. I bought the unsweetened kind. I thought it was ok, not super great but not bad either. I still like the taste of cashew milk the best, and soymilk. Maybe the full fat version of pea milk would have been better. I liked the nutrition profile, and the fact it has vegan dha added, though a small amount.

I have a weird fear of buying higher calorie plant milks for drinking. It carries over from my eating disorder days. I have a hard time allowing myself to drink so many calories, and would prefer to spend those calories on food. So I tend to stick to lower calorie plant milks, or coffee, tea, and water. Unless I make a smoothie or juice that is either a meal itself or part of a meal. Plant milks in my mind are still "accessory". I wish I could overcome this because the times I did drink full fat soy milk and almond milk I really enjoyed them. Though maybe the sugar content was higher. I have the calorie content of every known food to man ingrained in my brain still and it is impossible to undue or ignore that knowledge lol. I'm getting better at it though. Sometimes as a challenge I make casseroles with numerous ingredients so it is impossible to calculate calories lol. At any rate, one of these days I will have to check out the full fat or chocolate pea milk. Even if not for myself, it might be a potential winner for my partner who still can't give up his dairy. He didn't like soy milk, but did like full fat almond milk but I guess not as much as his dairy milk. :/
Thalassa likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 10-17-2016, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

I got a response from my inquiry on B12---

Sophie Santee (Ripple Foods)
Oct 17, 11:49 MST

Hello, Denise.
Thank you for your feedback on Ripple. We are actually looking into adding B12 to Ripple, for the reasons you mentioned. I don't have a definitive answer as to if/when it will be added, but I do want you to know that it's under serious consideration.
Thank you. We very much appreciate consumer feedback, and yours is very timely. 2017 will be a very busy year for us. Although it's not yet public information, I can tell you that we'll be adding a new flavor, Unsweetened Vanilla, in the spring, and there may be more launches and developments as the year progresses. I hope you'll keep an eye on our site for announcements, and continue to provide us your valuable feedback.
Sophie
Capstan and Thalassa like this.

#9 Old 10-18-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
When almond milk came out I switched to that due to the thyroid issues becoming more prevalent, and I was so grateful for it because I couldn't handle dairy milk at all (not to mention cheese). the choices of plant milks now are mindboggling! There is flaxseed and sesame seed milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, hemp milk, rice milk, pea milk, soy milk, almond milk.
Yes, there are so many! I love almond milk but I like variety so I always grab something else when I'm buying it. Most recently, I found macadamia milk, and it is really amazing (not surprising, because macadamia nuts are also amazing).
#10 Old 10-18-2016, 11:39 AM
Plant Powered

I haven't seen it here yet but every time I see pictures of the product all I can think is that it looks like it says Nipple lol. Sorry, it's a curse - I'm a graphic designer so font choice is everything
Thalassa likes this.
#11 Old 10-18-2016, 06:16 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I tried the chocolate version. Not sweet enough.

All we are is dust in the wind
#12 Old 10-19-2016, 12:00 PM
Bandit

Interesting. That's good. I like hemp milk it's a delicious alternative to soy, but I don't know if it counts as "nut free" (great source of Omega 3s)...however, I found it a bit disconcerting when an old friend back in the South asked me where to buy it. Made me wonder if it's illegal to sell hemp foods in some states, which is insane, so it's good news there's a mainstream pea protein milk at Target for those in less progressive areas.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#13 Old 10-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Yes, there are so many! I love almond milk but I like variety so I always grab something else when I'm buying it. Most recently, I found macadamia milk, and it is really amazing (not surprising, because macadamia nuts are also amazing).
Chocolate hazelnut milk is da bomb.

(I'm actually not a big almond milk fan, don't know why, I usually get plain unsweetened soy if a savory recipe calls for almond milk).

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#14 Old 10-19-2016, 04:50 PM

I found it on sale at my Target today! It is definitely pricier than other plant milks, but I'm very excited to try it, especially because it is fortified with DHA. Like others, I'm disappointed in the lack of B12, but I think so long as I continue to mix it up with a variety of plant milks it's absence won't be felt.

Meanwhile, I've got to find some chocolate hazelnut milk--sounds like liquid Nutella (Nutella is obviously off the menu for me now).
#15 Old 10-24-2016, 11:14 AM
99% Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
This is great, especially if it encourages more people to avoid dairy milk.

It does lead me to suspect that people are avoiding soy, based on unsubstantiated anti-soy blogs.

Criminal that they charge so much for it, considering that split peas are about the cheapest of all legumes.
The reason why its so expensive is because they are just starting out. They don't have the investors needed to afford a cheaper price. However, many items do go down in price as the demand for the product increases - to a point.

I will buy it from time to time in order to help them develop their company. I agree with the B12 comment above!
David3 likes this.

Allergic99%Vegan
#16 Old 10-24-2016, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I got a response from my inquiry on B12---

Sophie Santee (Ripple Foods)
Oct 17, 11:49 MST

Hello, Denise.
Thank you for your feedback on Ripple. We are actually looking into adding B12 to Ripple, for the reasons you mentioned. I don't have a definitive answer as to if/when it will be added, but I do want you to know that it's under serious consideration.
Thank you. We very much appreciate consumer feedback, and yours is very timely. 2017 will be a very busy year for us. Although it's not yet public information, I can tell you that we'll be adding a new flavor, Unsweetened Vanilla, in the spring, and there may be more launches and developments as the year progresses. I hope you'll keep an eye on our site for announcements, and continue to provide us your valuable feedback.
Sophie
Bumped!
Naturebound and David3 like this.

#17 Old 10-25-2016, 05:05 PM

I tried the chocolate Ripple tonight. I really liked it! It's not Almond Breeze...nothing will unseat Almond Breeze for me...but if the plain/vanilla version is as thick and creamy as the chocolate, I could easily see it as a replacement for cow's milk for my cereal. (I have tried other plant milks and just don't care for them in cereal.) I'm also really happy that it is fortified with plant-based DHA.
#18 Old 10-25-2016, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Silk Soymilk DHA omega 3

INGREDIENTS: Soymilk (Filtered Water, Soybeans), Contains 2% or less of: Cane Sugar, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Ascorbate [Vitamin C], Vitamin E, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2, Riboflavin [B2], Vitamin B12), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Flax Oil, DHA Algal Oil, Gellan Gum.

Silk no longer uses carageenan, which causes stomach problems in some people

Last edited by silva; 10-25-2016 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page