Hey Guys, Plan to Go Vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 10-04-2016, 07:22 PM

Hey Guys, Plan to Go Vegan

Hey guys, I'm Zoli (short for Zoltan) from Hungary, Eastern Europe.

So, the plan is to vegan now. I will do this thing cold turkey (maybe once I go vegan, I have to forget this saying too), just cut out everything. I've been contemplating the idea for quite some time, and decided that it was time, I cannot lie to myself anymore that this is okay.

My problem is this, I do resistance training, and I've made some solid progress in the last 10 years that I don't want to let go. I'm on a high protein diet, and to be able to keep this up, I need a really good brand of plant-based protein supplement.

I've read that it is possible to subtract amino acid chains - could be writing something really dumb - from plants, and put together a protein profile that's similar to animal proteins in its efficiency, despite the fact that it is fully plant based. Do any of you guys found such product? I'm also thinking about filling up the freezer with Beyond Meat products, if they deliver internationally, or I can buy it in Germany or the UK.

I hope it's okay that I created this thread, and any feedback would be appreciated, thanks guys!

Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo View Post
Hey guys, I'm Zoli (short for Zoltan) from Hungary, Eastern Europe.

So, the plan is to vegan now. I will do this thing cold turkey (maybe once I go vegan, I have to forget this saying too), just cut out everything. I've been contemplating the idea for quite some time, and decided that it was time, I cannot lie to myself anymore that this is okay.

My problem is this, I do resistance training, and I've made some solid progress in the last 10 years that I don't want to let go. I'm on a high protein diet, and to be able to keep this up, I need a really good brand of plant-based protein supplement.

I've read that it is possible to subtract amino acid chains - could be writing something really dumb - from plants, and put together a protein profile that's similar to animal proteins in its efficiency, despite the fact that it is fully plant based. Do any of you guys found such product? I'm also thinking about filling up the freezer with Beyond Meat products, if they deliver internationally, or I can buy it in Germany or the UK.

I hope it's okay that I created this thread, and any feedback would be appreciated, thanks guys!

Z
"Vega" and "Sun Warrior" vegan protein powders are popular. Are these sold in Hungary?

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 10-05-2016, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular

There are so many vegan protein powder supplements on the market now it is overwhelming. It's hard to know what is available in your area though. In addition to the ones David3 listed, I am familiar with "Manitoba Harvest" (hemp protein), "Plant Fusion", "Source Naturals pea protein", "Garden of Life Raw protein powder and so on.

You might also be interested in this article about complete plant proteins that contain all of the amino acids in the proportions needed by the human body:
http://www.revmodo.com/organic-food/...ns-for-vegans/

Also, you can look up any given food on the following database. Make sure to click on "full report" tab once you type in a specific food search, and it will list all of the amino acids present in that food and in what proportions. https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/

You will note that the majority of plant foods (except fruits) have all or most of the amino acids in various proportions.

Some high protein foods :
lentils (brown, red, green)
split peas (green, yellow)
tempeh
tofu
Seitan (made from vital wheat gluten...easy to make your own)
quinoa (complete protein with all of the essential amino acids)

Commercial high protein products (not sure where all in the world these are available):
Field Roast (has soy free products but most do contain wheat)
Beyond Meat
Tofurky
Lightlife (tempeh, tofu etc)
Westsoy (makes seitan as well as soy products)
Gardein
Sweet Earth
Amy's

http://www.peta.org/living/food/meat-replacements/
http://www.peta.org/living/food/guid...meatless-meat/

Also, check out Vegan Body Building and Fitness website for ideas on fueling yourself with plant protein. There are MANY vegan athletes who have been successful in this area:
http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

I am not an athlete, but I do some weight training (3 or 4 days per week) and am VERY active with cycling, hiking, canoeing, snowshoeing, dancing (ballet/modern), cardio daily at the gym, calisthenics etc. I have been working out on average 1.5 hours per day and up to 10-15 hours some weekends when I do long distance cycling, canoeing etc. My performance, energy, stamina, and strength have not been worse at all in the years of being vegan, in fact much improved. See my journal/thread on the fitness subforum. I don't make a huge effort to eat a ton of protein, but I am aware of my daily consumption and try to include a variety of plant foods such as whole grains, vegetables, and beans and nuts/seeds to meet protein needs without going too crazy obsessing over every detail. I do protein powders here and there but they are not a staple. I am small and probably not the best example of someone with a lot of muscle, but I can do functional activities like lift and carry our canoe up to a quarter of a mile, and backpack 10-13 miles with twenty or thirty lbs on my back, or short portage 50 lbs of gear on my back over wilderness trails on canoe camping trips. So I wouldn't call myself frail either.
silva likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-05-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
There are so many vegan protein powder supplements on the market now it is overwhelming. It's hard to know what is available in your area though. In addition to the ones David3 listed, I am familiar with "Manitoba Harvest" (hemp protein), "Plant Fusion", "Source Naturals pea protein", "Garden of Life Raw protein powder and so on.

You might also be interested in this article about complete plant proteins that contain all of the amino acids in the proportions needed by the human body:

Also, you can look up any given food on the following database. Make sure to click on "full report" tab once you type in a specific food search, and it will list all of the amino acids present in that food and in what proportions.

You will note that the majority of plant foods (except fruits) have all or most of the amino acids in various proportions.

Some high protein foods :
lentils (brown, red, green)
split peas (green, yellow)
tempeh
tofu
Seitan (made from vital wheat gluten...easy to make your own)
quinoa (complete protein with all of the essential amino acids)

Commercial high protein products (not sure where all in the world these are available):
Field Roast (has soy free products but most do contain wheat)
Beyond Meat
Tofurky
Lightlife (tempeh, tofu etc)
Westsoy (makes seitan as well as soy products)
Gardein
Sweet Earth
Amy's

Also, check out Vegan Body Building and Fitness website for ideas on fueling yourself with plant protein. There are MANY vegan athletes who have been successful in this area:

I am not an athlete, but I do some weight training (3 or 4 days per week) and am VERY active with cycling, hiking, canoeing, snowshoeing, dancing (ballet/modern), cardio daily at the gym, calisthenics etc. I have been working out on average 1.5 hours per day and up to 10-15 hours some weekends when I do long distance cycling, canoeing etc. My performance, energy, stamina, and strength have not been worse at all in the years of being vegan, in fact much improved. See my journal/thread on the fitness subforum. I don't make a huge effort to eat a ton of protein, but I am aware of my daily consumption and try to include a variety of plant foods such as whole grains, vegetables, and beans and nuts/seeds to meet protein needs without going too crazy obsessing over every detail. I do protein powders here and there but they are not a staple. I am small and probably not the best example of someone with a lot of muscle, but I can do functional activities like lift and carry our canoe up to a quarter of a mile, and backpack 10-13 miles with twenty or thirty lbs on my back, or short portage 50 lbs of gear on my back over wilderness trails on canoe camping trips. So I wouldn't call myself frail either.
Thank you guys, this post was especially helpful. I will do the proper research, of course, just wanted some pointers based on personal experience.
#5 Old 10-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Plant Powered

Congratulations on your commitment to going vegan cold "tofurkey" I did it that way too ^_^ I don't know if you're a social media person, but I follow a guy on Instagram who's a vegan bodybuilder and he posts his meals quite frequently; it inspires me to eat more beans and greens LOL - it could maybe help give you ideas outside of protein supplementation.

https://www.instagram.com/tim_oliphant/
#6 Old 10-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Animal food contain complete proteins which means that they often contain all the essential amino acids that make up proteins in a single product.

Whereas plant foods do contain all of the amino acids but not in a single food type.Well, strictly speaking actually they often do contain every essential amino acid in a single food type, but some of the amino acids are in low quantities. So, it's more accurate to say that one type of plant foods does not contain well balanced quantities of all the essential amino acids. Although soy is pretty close to being as good as meat in terms of being a complete and well balanced protein.

However, it turns out that you don't need to eat all the essential amino acids at the same time, as long as you get them within your diet every few days or whatever, but don't need to be all combined in a single meal. So if you read about protein combining, read with care or ignore. That was debunked (i.e. shown to be wrong) years ago.

It turns out that if you eat a well balanced diet of vegetables, grains and legumes you will get all the amino acids you need. You don't need to worry about individual amino acids. The only one worth mentioning is lysine, however as long as you eat legumes (beans, peas, soy) you will get enough.

I hope you understand that but the key is
1. Eat at least some of beans, peans, lentils, soy.
2. Eat a balanced diet with different types of grains (bread, pasta, rice) and vegetables.

If you do 1 and 2 that's it, you'll have complete proteins as well as enough total proteins.

In general, you don't need to take some protein supplement on a vegan diet, however for athletes and resistance training and so on, it is not a bad idea to take it in addition to the above just to be sure.

Make sure you are not hungry and weigh yourself regularly (to make sure you are not losing weight) since you can get too little protein on a vegan diet if you don't eat enough food in total. On a vegan diet, you may need bigger portions at meals, or more snacking, to get the same calories so keep an eye on this.
#7 Old 10-10-2016, 04:44 PM

Yeah, I know that I wouldn't have to stress about this if my only goal would be to eat healthier and cruelty-free. But I'm 6'3 and 230 pounds, with considerable amount of muscle mass, which I don't want to lose. Don't get me wrong, I realize that the bigger picture is more important here, but I've been doing sports my whole life, and the results of those disciplines are an important part of me, my body image, and who I am. Went with a Biotech Rice Protein btw., it says on the label that it's fully plant-based and aspartam-free as well. Supposedly has one of the best amino profiles, close to animal based proteins. The taste is pretty bad, but I don't really care about that aspect.

As far as meatless meat products go, my options seem to be pretty limited. No Tofurky or Beyond Meat products here. Oh well, I'm been munching on all kinds of lentils, and portobello mushrooms. I made a portobello burger, it was surprisingly good. I wonder If I can do bolognese with it. Can you mince that thing? Is there a better alternative for pasta sauces? I love mushrooms so that will be a big part of my diet now. It's a good plant-based protein source. Also, quinoa, lots of quinoa. I don't really miss meat so far. What should I do with the meat in my freezer? Should I prepare it and give it to homeless people? What do you guys think? I could give it to my family members, but they don't really need it, and this would seem like a better fate for what will hopefully be the last batch of frozen meat in my freezer.

Last edited by Gallo; 10-10-2016 at 04:51 PM.
#8 Old 10-10-2016, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think it matters a huge amount when you do with the meat but giving it to homeless people sounds like a reasonable idea, provided it's practical for you.
#9 Old 10-10-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
I don't think it matters a huge amount when you do with the meat but giving it to homeless people sounds like a reasonable idea, provided it's practical for you.

Yeah, I guess it doesn't matter, the damage has been done there. I don't want to eat it though, so I guess I will give it to a homeless shelter, if they'll have it. Not sure, maybe they have regulations for this kind of stuff. If they do, I'll just prepare it, box the food and shell it out somewhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page