6Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By Ember Ruby

#1 Old 07-29-2016, 01:14 PM

Gluten free, no mushrooms... what next?

For the past few months, I've been getting an upset stomach very often, maybe every two weeks or so. I finally figured out that gluten was the cause (and gluten-containing items were one of my absolute favourite foods. Fantastic).

After not eating gluten for a while and feeling fine, I was sick again last night. Turns out I also can't eat mushrooms. I love mushrooms...

What else am I going to discover I am intolerant to??

When I became vegan in April, I was never bargaining on cutting out either of these things. And I'm tired of being ill all the time.

I just want to enjoy my food, for goodness' sake, not have to cut out everything I used to enjoy.

To make things worse, my depression and anxiety has reached an all time low. I feel absolutely miserable. I'm not even sure what to eat at this point. I don't eat a huge variety.

What do I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember Ruby View Post
For the past few months, I've been getting an upset stomach very often, maybe every two weeks or so. I finally figured out that gluten was the cause (and gluten-containing items were one of my absolute favourite foods. Fantastic).

After not eating gluten for a while and feeling fine, I was sick again last night. Turns out I also can't eat mushrooms. I love mushrooms...

When I became vegan in April, I was never bargaining on cutting out either of these things. And I'm tired of being ill all the time.

I just want to enjoy my food, for goodness' sake, not have to cut out everything I used to enjoy.

To make things worse, my depression and anxiety has reached an all time low. I feel absolutely miserable. I'm not even sure what to eat at this point. I don't eat a huge variety.

What do I do?

If you're feeling at an all time low, then it's a good time to seek help.

Please make an appointment with your therapist.

Please make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian who specializes in food intolerances. In the UK, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the Association of UK Dietitians: http://www.freelancedietitians.org/d...vate-practice/ . They can help you to plan a delicious diet that avoids those foods which bother you.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 07-29-2016, 04:50 PM

I'm already on the waiting list for counselling, but it'll be another month or so until I get to see someone.

Will do, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Could it be your anxiety that's actually making you feel sick when you eat sometimes rather than you being intolerant to foods?
I just say this because I suffer from anxiety myself, and it sometimes makes me feel more yucky when I eat.
Tom and Thalassa like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#5 Old 07-29-2016, 05:53 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Have you ever been tested for IBS? Sometimes "gluten intolerance" if it isn't celiac's actually ends up being FODMAP sensitivity. If you talk to your doctor about your symptoms, you might be able to get tested and find out if IBS is at the root of the issue. If it is, there is a pretty good guide out there on vegan low-FODMAP eating.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 07-29-2016, 07:15 PM

Well, my upset stomachs stopped (with the exception of yesterday) when I cut out gluten, so I don't think it's anxiety related. I felt really sick after eating mushrooms a few weeks ago, too.

And I haven't, no. I've looked into low FODMAP diets though, and they seem so restrictive, I really do not want to do that....

Also. Once I'd cut out gluten, my red looked less red. I'm not quite sure why.
#7 Old 07-30-2016, 05:01 PM

*I mean my face looked less red
#8 Old 07-30-2016, 05:08 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

What do I do?
Eating mushrooms once and feeling sick afterward doesn't mean you are intolerant. Same with gluten, tbh. People feel sick for lots of different reasons after a meal, especially when changing their diet. I wouldn't start cutting foods out willy nilly because you felt ill.
#9 Old 07-30-2016, 05:11 PM

Is throwing up on about 12 different occasions after eating gluten in the space of a few months an indicator of anything, and stopping once I cut it out?

I haven't just felt sick. Actually threw up etc.

And I have felt/been sick from mushrooms before.
#10 Old 07-30-2016, 05:33 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Is throwing up on about 12 different occasions after eating gluten in the space of a few months an indicator of anything, and stopping once I cut it out?

I haven't just felt sick. Actually threw up etc.

And I have felt/been sick from mushrooms before.
Well, of course you and your doctor are the best judges of this. Vomiting is not a typical sign of gluten intolerance, however. http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7482/...ntolerant.html

I would suggest seeing a physician if you are vomiting that often for any reason.
Tom likes this.
#11 Old 07-30-2016, 07:27 PM

I'm not sure what else it could be. I was tested for coeliac disease and it came back negative. A few weeks prior to the test, I had to eat a slice of bread every day to ensure the test is accurate, and I felt awful until I finally cut it out. It wasn't enough to make me vomit though. I only ever vomit if I have several slices, especially if it's wholewheat. Vomiting is usually accompanied by diarrhoea and I get stomach ache for a few days afterwards.

I am seriously losing my mind over this.

I will be making another appointment with the doctor.

Can sleep deprivation make your digestive system more susceptible to reacting to things? Anxiety has prevented me from sleeping on so many occasions, I don't get much sleep.
#12 Old 07-30-2016, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I'm not sure what else it could be. I was tested for coeliac disease and it came back negative. A few weeks prior to the test, I had to eat a slice of bread every day to ensure the test is accurate, and I felt awful until I finally cut it out. It wasn't enough to make me vomit though. I only ever vomit if I have several slices, especially if it's wholewheat. Vomiting is usually accompanied by diarrhoea and I get stomach ache for a few days afterwards.

Can sleep deprivation make your digestive system more susceptible to reacting to things? Anxiety has prevented me from sleeping on so many occasions, I don't get much sleep.
I believe it can, yes. I've had anxiety since I was 16 (I will be 24 later this year). First year I got anxiety, and was having several panic attacks every week, I was barely getting any sleep, and I would vomit a lot after eating. Even nowadays, I find it hard to eat when I'm having more anxiety. And yes, diarrhea is also a symptom of anxiety.
LedBoots likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#13 Old 07-30-2016, 08:15 PM

What does your diet usually consist of?
#14 Old 07-30-2016, 08:26 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Anxiety and sleep deprivation can definitely affect the gut.

Have you tried meditation? Here's a quick guided meditation you might like.
#15 Old 08-01-2016, 02:12 PM

Breakfast is usually puffed rice or a gluten free grain cereal mix with rice milk, or gluten free porridge with almond milk. I always have a tablespoon of ground flaxseed mixed in with my breakfast, usually a cup of smoothie or coconut water, chopped fruit (normally banana), and some seeds or nuts.

The rest of the day varies. Some of the things I tend to have: Hummus and falafel on gluten free bread or lettuce wraps, an Amy's Kitchen meal (vegetable lasagne, mac n cheeze, Thai curry, veggie sausage and tofu burger, vegetable korma, bean wrap), rice cakes or gluten free bread with hummus or peanut butter, tofu scramble with mushrooms and/or half a red pepper, gluten free pasta with an avocado sauce or tomato and chickpea sauce. I also eat fruit such as pears, apples, peaches, and raisins. And Nakd bars, usually cashew cookie or cocoa crunch. I take the Vegan Society multivitamin, and a sublingual B12 supplement once every few days.

However, my sleeping pattern is all over the place, so more often than not I only eat two meals a day due to getting up late.

Hmm. Every time I've felt or been sick, it's correlated with sleep deprivation. I felt sick all day yesterday because I hardly slept at all. Felt better after sleeping for 15 hours.

And no, I haven't tried meditation, I will try that, thanks.
LedBoots likes this.
#16 Old 08-01-2016, 03:09 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^ I hope things work out for you, Ember Ruby. Quite some time ago, I had heard of a diet meant to treat hyperactivity or attention deficit: low in certain preservatives and food colorings, as well as some naturally occurring salicylates. It did me no good that I could see, and was a major pain in the butt also since it was an additional level of restriction above and beyond the animal foods I was avoiding, so I dropped it. That diet (Feingold) has pretty much been discredited, anyway.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#17 Old 08-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
^^^ I hope things work out for you, Ember Ruby. Quite some time ago, I had heard of a diet meant to treat hyperactivity or attention deficit: low in certain preservatives and food colorings, as well as some naturally occurring salicylates. It did me no good that I could see, and was a major pain in the butt also since it was an additional level of restriction above and beyond the animal foods I was avoiding, so I dropped it. That diet (Feingold) has pretty much been discredited, anyway.
My adult daughter has ADHD, and when she was a kid, any cereals or candy with artificial dyes, like Trix cereal, would send her just off. I videotaped her before eating the cereal and then after to show to her doctor, who was amazed. I read recently that some of the cereal companies are removing these dyes and was very happy for other children who wouldn't have to go through this.
#18 Old 05-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
This is an old thread but was it the same sort of bread every time? Is it possible that there was something else in the bread? I have friends who are sensitive to various things that go in some breads and have a similar reaction?

I on the other hand have Celiac disease and any bread makes me super sick. But the other thing was once diagnosed, it takes a while for your gut to heal so it took months of cutting it out to feel better. And other food intolerances stuck around for ages then just suddenly vanished and now I can eat almost anything!

As someone said above, it could be anxiety and expectation, too. Linking sickness with a food will make you feel sick when you eat it for sure!

Did you get to the bottom of things??
#19 Old 05-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Oh and (sorry, long night and haven't slept much here either so my posts are a mess), in terms of insomnia...I definitely find food changes how I sleep. Getting enough tryptophan matters, blue light before bed matters (I have a program called Flux that changes computer and phone to red light and it makes a huge difference), enough protein and calories in general (if I don't eat enough I don't sleep. Period.) and hormones matter.

Having low estrogen can disrupt your gut AND your sleep and if you're eating low fat or not enough that could be it too?

So many things. I hope you're feeling better so long after posting this!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page