9Likes
  • 1 Post By Aliakai
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 3 Post By meg moo

#1 Old 07-19-2016, 05:35 AM

Thinking of eating eggs again. Advice??

Hey everyone. I'm Kitty, I live in Australia and I've been a vegan for around three and a half years. I first went vegan with my mum for support when she was diagnosed with cancer and I moved home to help her. We really enjoyed the bonding experience. I often look at the forum but have never posted before now because I didn't really need any support, plus everyone on here seemed to be much more knowledgeable than me, so I didn't really think my advice was needed.

Anyway, I was hoping for some advice. I would like to start eating the eggs again from our own chooks and ducks. We originally got them because a neighbour of ours was sick and unable to look after them. We have 21 chickens and 8 ducks (all female). My dad eats eggs, and the rest we give to our neighbours or extended family. Sometimes no one comes over enough to get them before they get questionable tho, so they get chucked.

My girls (as I call them) sleep in a great housing system, amazing shed coop for the chooks roosting at night and a lovely little cuddly house for the duckies. They eat lots of veggie scraps and pellets and corn and are very happy. They get let out in the morning to explore the property and scavenge away then shut up again at night for safety after I bring the ducks back from the dam where they spend most of their time. (Except my special pet duck. She comes over and lays her egg outside the front door at around 10, gets her pat and cuddle then joins her friends in the water)

I was cuddling her this morning and I just thought it was ridiculous that I wasn't enjoying the eggs. It seemed so silly. It feels like a special gift that I'm throwing away for no reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2016, 11:54 AM
The Corpulent Vegan

My personal opinion is that chicken ovulations (which is what eggs are) do not belong to us and don't go to "waste" if we don't use them. Calling it a waste is rather anthro-centric.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 07-19-2016, 12:20 PM

I just don't understand the desire to eat bird periods. I seems more silly to me see them as a food source. That's just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Vegan since 1991

Because you care for your chickens as friends, I think it might be OK to eat the eggs. However, if the chicken gets aggressive or protective when you try to take the eggs, then I wouldn't take them. Also, before you take the egg, give the chicken a chance to eat it herself; some hens eat their own eggs (perhaps for nutrition reasons).

rasitha.wijesekera likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 07-19-2016, 10:34 PM

It must be tough if the eggs are ending up not being used. No harm is done to the chicken.
#6 Old 07-20-2016, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

From a health standpoint, eggs might not be a good choice. A medium sized egg has around 213 mg of cholesterol, whereas a Burger King whopper has 71 mg. This link to Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine might be helpful.
HTML Code:
http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/the-incredibly-inedible-egg

EatPlant-Based.com
#7 Old 07-20-2016, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm really curious as to what you do with the chickens when they die. Will they too be eaten? Or are they "wasted" or are they buried as beloved companions?

I really don't mean that to come off in any mean way. I am really curious. I think it is amazing that you went vegan to support your sick mother, and took in all those birds to care for on behalf of your neighbor. Who knows what would have happened to them otherwise. Hats off to you for being so kind and loving! All sentient beings deserve a decent life, free from exploitation.

I have a friend in real life who is vegan but has seven rescued hens. She does not eat their eggs, but she does feed some of the eggs to her dogs (who would otherwise be completely vegan). I can't remember but I think she uses the shells for fertilizer or compost? And as a calcium source for the chickens.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 07-21-2016, 07:07 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I have a vegan friend with rescue chickens who do not want to eat their own eggs, so she brings them to her workplace and gives them to coworkers who eat eggs. They bring her empty egg cartons, and she fills them up and puts them in the work refrigerator.
Spudulika and Symondezyn like this.
#9 Old 07-21-2016, 09:30 AM
Plant Powered

I think it's adorable and sweet that you have such a special bond with your duck ^_^ There's no question those lovely birds know you have given them a good life, and kudos to you for doing so! ^_^ It's clear you love them, and that is what matters most - there is mutual love and respect.

I can understand where you're coming from. If eating eggs is something you are comfortable with, it doesn't seem like it would be harmful in this case, but only you can decide what feels right to you. I personally wouldn't feel completely comfortable with it, so while I know you are already giving some of them away, would it be possible to maybe give the extras to a local charity or something?

The only parallel I can make to my own experience (and its a broad one LOL) is when I had a cat who used to bring me dead things as a gift. While I appreciated the gift and thanked him profusely, there was no way I was gonna eat it LOL.
#10 Old 07-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

As long as you don't kill the chickens or give them for someone to kill once their egg production decreases, I see nothing wrong with eating the eggs.

The information I seem to find regarding chickens eating their own eggs is that they'll do it if you are not giving them adequate nutrition (especially lack of protein).

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#11 Old 07-22-2016, 03:04 AM
Love

Smile

I personally wouldn't eat them. They're not 'going to waste' by you not eating them. Leave the eggs with the chickens.

It's all about love!
#12 Old 07-22-2016, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
I think it's adorable and sweet that you have such a special bond with your duck ^_^ There's no question those lovely birds know you have given them a good life, and kudos to you for doing so! ^_^ It's clear you love them, and that is what matters most - there is mutual love and respect.

I can understand where you're coming from. If eating eggs is something you are comfortable with, it doesn't seem like it would be harmful in this case, but only you can decide what feels right to you. I personally wouldn't feel completely comfortable with it, so while I know you are already giving some of them away, would it be possible to maybe give the extras to a local charity or something?

The only parallel I can make to my own experience (and its a broad one LOL) is when I had a cat who used to bring me dead things as a gift. While I appreciated the gift and thanked him profusely, there was no way I was gonna eat it LOL.
I agree with everything here.

There are fine lines between exploitation and coexistence. Like shearing sheep, or collecting honey, the rare simple act isn't harmful, but the demand and the greed causes so much suffering and abuse.
Whenever you question ethics I think it's best to look at the situation multiplied. Like collecting seashells on a beach, nothing wrong until someone thinks about selling them and ravages the sand, stealing from the animals who use them and the land it eventually erodes
In the situation described I would leave it up the individual, keeping the balance in mind.
leedsveg and Symondezyn like this.
#13 Old 07-22-2016, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I agree with everything here.

There are fine lines between exploitation and coexistence. Like shearing sheep, or collecting honey, the rare simple act isn't harmful, but the demand and the greed causes so much suffering and abuse.
Whenever you question ethics I think it's best to look at the situation multiplied. Like collecting seashells on a beach, nothing wrong until someone thinks about selling them and ravages the sand, stealing from the animals who use them and the land it eventually erodes
In the situation described I would leave it up the individual, keeping the balance in mind.
I was going to say something really un-politically correct, but you talked me down with your good answer.
#14 Old 07-29-2016, 08:26 PM
cinnamon bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Because you care for your chickens as friends, I think it might be OK to eat the eggs. However, if the chicken gets aggressive or protective when you try to take the eggs, then I wouldn't take them. Also, before you take the egg, give the chicken a chance to eat it herself; some hens eat their own eggs (perhaps for nutrition reasons).

I agree. If the chickens first have a chance to eat their eggs if they want to, I think it is acceptable to eat the eggs yourself occasionally. I also agree with some others on this thread that the eggs wouldn't be going to waste if you did not eat them, either.

#15 Old 07-29-2016, 08:33 PM
cinnamon bun

Also, I don't particularly like the comparison of eggs to "chicken periods." First of all, there's nothing disgusting about menstruation/periods. Secondly, chickens don't menstruate so it misses the mark a bit. The argument that eggs are more "gross" than other animal products perpetuates misogynistic ideologies.
Spudulika, David3 and greenmamato3 like this.

#16 Old 12-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's fine if you eat it. But you could always give it away to neighbors who would buy supermarket eggs instead.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
#17 Old 12-06-2016, 05:57 AM

Don't sweat the cholesterol, a healthy human liver makes about 2,000mg a day if it is not consumed in the diet and a study from The University of Harvard clearly shows no increase in the risk of heart attack consuming eggs in moderation so don't believe the propaganda that is from silly kids that don't bother with real science.
#18 Old 12-06-2016, 07:51 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post

The hens will only become agitated if they are incubating the eggs which are growing babies. Otherwise, they lay the egg and then walk away. And all hens LOVE eating raw eggs. Hens will eat just about anything.

As for the question of eating eggs, I was wondering Kachok, if you have a rooster who is breeding those hens and if they are raising their babies? And what does your family do to the little roosters that are hatched? My guess is that those little guys are allowed to grow up and the minute their maleness becomes evident, they are being butchered.

On the other hand, if those hens are due to quit laying in the next couple years and they are going to be replaced with new chicks from the local feed store, then again, what happened to the little brothers of the new little hen chicks.

What I'm pointing out is that even though right now it seems like it's not a big deal, chickens and eggs is fraught with all kinds of issues that perhaps aren't immediately obvious, but at some point you have to acknowledge them in light of your decision to live without animal products for their sake.
#19 Old 12-06-2016, 04:38 PM

DebrahM I don't breed the chickens so that is not a issue for me, but if I did I don't think that would be a problem, don't misunderstand I quit eating vegan five years ago because of I had an adverse reaction with my hypoglycemia, I just happen to share some of the ethics concerns as vegans on factory farming and there are no omnivore forums where food ethics is an issue that is ever discussed, most omnivores just prefer not to think about it and don't like people who bring it up.

Last edited by Kachok; 12-06-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page