• 1 Post By Joan Kennedy
  • 1 Post By JoyfulOlivia683
  • 1 Post By Gita
  • 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Joan Kennedy

#1 Old 06-26-2016, 04:00 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

I just managed a cross country trip as a vegan!

It feels like a major accomplishment. I just got back from driving cross country from Philadelphia all the way home to Seattle. I was able to pick up some vegan options in Philadelphia, Ann Arbor Michigan, and Spokane, but for the most part Deyna and I ended up having to subsist on chips, crackers, and bean dip/hummus. We also picked up fruit plates and found veg options and Chinese and Indian restaurants, making sure to let the people know about fish and dairy allergies (because the intolerance is that strong at this point) so no hidden ingredients screwed us.

All in all, I hated the midwest because of how hard it was to find food there, but the HappyCow app is amazing and really saved our bacon. I wanted to start a thread and compile tips for vegan road tripping, as I'm going to be working on a blog post on the subject to kick off the week and get my blog going again post all the hubbub.

So: how did you survive a multi-state or country road trip? Do you have any favorite cities or stops you used that had vegan options? Any tips for ordering at restaurants that are less than veg-friendly? And any stories? I won't post anything on the blog unless you give permission in the post, so feel free to share anything.
silva, Purp, Joan Kennedy and 2 others like this.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-26-2016, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliakai View Post
It feels like a major accomplishment. I just got back from driving cross country from Philadelphia all the way home to Seattle. I was able to pick up some vegan options in Philadelphia, Ann Arbor Michigan, and Spokane, but for the most part Deyna and I ended up having to subsist on chips, crackers, and bean dip/hummus. We also picked up fruit plates and found veg options and Chinese and Indian restaurants, making sure to let the people know about fish and dairy allergies (because the intolerance is that strong at this point) so no hidden ingredients screwed us.

All in all, I hated the midwest because of how hard it was to find food there, but the HappyCow app is amazing and really saved our bacon. I wanted to start a thread and compile tips for vegan road tripping, as I'm going to be working on a blog post on the subject to kick off the week and get my blog going again post all the hubbub.

So: how did you survive a multi-state or country road trip? Do you have any favorite cities or stops you used that had vegan options? Any tips for ordering at restaurants that are less than veg-friendly? And any stories? I won't post anything on the blog unless you give permission in the post, so feel free to share anything.
Don't you mean, save your broccoli?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations! How long did it take you to cross? With another driver, you could theoretically go all day and all night by swapping turns at the wheel, but that would be rugged.

When I cross between Portland and Virginia (just under 2800 miles), I get fruit, hummus, water, peanut butter, crackers, and meal-substitute drinks. Last one I tried was soy-based and chocolate. I think it was called "Svelte." Next time I might try Soylent instead, with chocolate syrup to help with the taste. Most recently, I push it by sleeping at rest stops and traveler plazas. This cuts down on my non-driving time, and cuts a day or so off the drive overall. The less time on the road, the fewer meals to worry about. But it also means blowing through some gorgeous scenery in the dead of night, which is a major regret.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-27-2016, 10:01 AM

Congrats on a successful journey.
I've been wanting to do this for a long time.

It's encouraging to hear you enjoyed it.
Purp likes this.

Use Friendly Reminders to create and share your culinary profile for Facebook events.

Friendly Reminders

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 07-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I try to plan lunches/dinners while stopping through larger cities. I go to the Whole Foods market or other market with diners inside of them, even in Oklahoma City, or Kansas City there are lots of vegetarian/vegan possibilities. I have gotten great veggie burgers and so on at sports bars! A lot of places do not put them on their menu, but will produce them when asked. If in doubt, call ahead.
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by Gita; 07-02-2016 at 09:24 AM.
#6 Old 07-03-2016, 04:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I have not traveled cross country per day, but have traveled a few states, or by airplane. By car, I bring much of my own food (in coolers and so on), but also plan to stay at hotels/motels where I have access to a refrigerator and microwave, preferably in my room. Stuff like oats or couscous is easy as a breakfast meal since all I have to do is add hot water to it, and I will add dried fruit and/or nuts/seeds too. Or I might have fresh fruit and nuts for breakfast. I'll just have bars and fruit for lunches, and most gas stations carry those items now. If not, they usually carry sunflower seeds, raisins, peanut butter. Some stores have delis with salad bars or I might find bagged coleslaw in the produce and just add my own salad dressing I bring along. When I was in south Texas, I discovered that the locally made tortillas there were naturally vegan (no lard or l cysteine etc), so I ate a lot of those with peanut butter or fat free refried beans and tomatoes.

I always use HappyCow before I travel if I plan to stay in a city or hotel etc. I have also used Vegdining. I discovered when I had planned a trip to Michigan, that there is an all vegan grocery store in the upper Peninsula called City Green Market. I was able to contact the owners ahead and talk to them and they happily gave me directions on how to get there. They are a little known all vegan grocery but are really awesome and have been doing very well for several years now. I made a slightly out of the way visit just to see them, and am now friends with the owners on Facebook. They have both been vegan for over 30 years now and their son was born and raised vegan.

Traveling by airplane was a little harder, but I went through the Minneapolis, Chicago and Houston airports and all had vegan friendly fare at their restaurants, and some food stands had fresh fruits, juices, vegan friendly crackers. I did bring prepackaged larabars just to be on the safe side.
LedBoots and David3 like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#7 Old 07-03-2016, 05:58 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I found local vegetarian, even a totally Vega, local restaurants I didn't know about by using the Happy Cow app. Vegan Jamaican food? Sign me upppppp! 😂
Joan Kennedy likes this.
#8 Old 07-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I found local vegetarian, even a totally Vega, local restaurants I didn't know about by using the Happy Cow app. Vegan Jamaican food? Sign me upppppp! 😂
I have the app now and will use it for some nice sit-down meals on the trip back. Car-camping makes the drive so much cheaper it's ridiculous, and I won't be such a maniac for making time headed back to Virginia. If I want restaurants to let me in, I might have to buy a shower or two at a traveler plaza...
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page