8Likes
  • 1 Post By Aliakai
  • 3 Post By LedBoots
  • 3 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By georgiab

#1 Old 06-10-2016, 12:53 AM

Best home-made Cheese substitute?

Hi,

I can't really buy any vegan cheese Since I live in Pakistan and stores here have no substitutes. I made vegan cheese with potato and cashew nuts for my pasta (read online) and... It was so so so horrible. I tried to bake it but the taste didn't get any better Awful experience. I don't even know where to buy nutritional yeast here since stores only have normal yeast. Please help as I am craving pizza and really want something that'll be satisfying for my taste buds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Plant Powered

I'm going to try and make one this weekend using macadamia nuts - I'll let you know how it goes! There are lots of recipes online; I think, like most anything, it's a matter of trial and error to see what works for you

I've got the book "The Homemade Vegan Pantry" by Miyoko Shinner (who, incidentally, has a very successful retail line of artisan vegan cheeses) - the book has a number of vegan cheese recipes in there, as well as other very clever vegan pantry staples like butter, yogurt, tofu, and meat replacements. They are a little time consuming but I plan on working through them one by one and seeing if they merit the time investment ^_^
#3 Old 06-10-2016, 05:06 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alybo5 View Post
Hi,

I can't really buy any vegan cheese Since I live in Pakistan and stores here have no substitutes. I made vegan cheese with potato and cashew nuts for my pasta (read online) and... It was so so so horrible. I tried to bake it but the taste didn't get any better Awful experience. I don't even know where to buy nutritional yeast here since stores only have normal yeast. Please help as I am craving pizza and really want something that'll be satisfying for my taste buds!
If cashews and grains like wheat berries or quinoa is available, then with a bit of work you can age a nut cheese with rejuvelac. Artisan Vegan Cheese by Miyoko schinner has some amazing recipes in it, and they're sharp as opposed to tart because they're actually aged.
Symondezyn likes this.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alybo5 View Post
Hi,

I like cheeseless pizza. Some things I put on the crust are red sauce, hummus, mashed avocado, little pieces of artichoke, onion, and of course toppings like olives, mushrooms, green pepper, baby spinach, basil, refried bean globs, pineapple. NOT all at the same time, lol.
#5 Old 06-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I make a vegan cheese sauce for macaroni or baked potatoes by steaming a large sweet potato (or two small ones), then adding them to a blender or food processor, and add a small block of tofu and a few tablespoons of plant milk or water. I add marjoram, nutmeg, black pepper, pinch of salt, and blend to get a thick creamy sauce. More liquid makes it thinner, and less makes it thicker. You could add roased red peppers to this, or steamed carrots in place of the sweet potatoes. A little oil will make it smoother, and nutritional yeast gives it more body, though it isn't totally needed.

I made a homemade sliceable almond cheese once using agar flakes, but I don't have the recipe offhand. It wasn't the fancy fermented type, but it worked in a pinch.

I tend to be more like Ledboots though and don't use vegan cheese much at all. I prefer hummus or roasted tomatoes on my pizza, or tuscan white bean dip spread on it. I sometimes use vegan mayonnaise (homemade cashew mayo is awesome), or else peanut butter or almond butter thai sauce for pastas. I like grilled sandwiches with avocado and tomato slices.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 06-13-2016, 04:03 PM
Sceptic vegan

here's a list of cheese recipe: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...our-socks-off/

One of them doesn't need nutritional yeast, and is mozzarella, I tried it and it's pretty nice, just be careful about how much garlic you use: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...arella-cheese/
#7 Old 06-17-2016, 03:58 AM
Happy Vegan

hey there, i know it is hard been vegan in some countries... they just aren't geared for it - i spent many years in hong kong and thailand, so know where you are coming from. this cashew cheese works great on pizza, and is also really good for mac and cheese or spooned over a baked potato. you need a blender to make it though

1/4 cup cashews (soaked for 30 mins)
1 cup hot water
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cornflour

whiz it all together in your blender, then pour in a saucepan and warm until the sauce starts to thicken.

hope you enjoy
Naturebound likes this.

#8 Old 06-17-2016, 04:04 AM
Veteran vegan

I've always considered hummous to be a great salty replacement for cheese, I have it on toast and on veggies, I reckon it would taste divine on pizza.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page