• 1 Post By Spudulika
  • 2 Post By aberrans
  • 1 Post By Thalassa4
  • 1 Post By georgiab
  • 1 Post By aberrans
  • 1 Post By tpkyteroo luebeck

#1 Old 06-08-2016, 09:41 AM

Smile Non-Vegan Feeding Vegan Kids

Hi, i'm a non-vegan trying to feed 3 vegan children aged 9 and 7 and could use some advice.

I didn't really know anything about vegan diets until a few weeks ago and have been googling and researching without much success. Most of the information is quite vague, sometimes contradictory and often recipes need speciality foods I have to shop especially for.

I bought a book called Vegan With A Vengeance and started cooking. Unfortunately the kids all turned their noses up! I then tried to veganise the meals we usually cook for them instead of jumping right in (to ease the transition) and they ate everything except the new vegan parts of the recipes, so now i'm completely stuck!

They're used to eating a vegan diet at home but sadly I can't get any information or recipes from their mum, and what little they can tell me usually involves processed foods which i'm not keen on feeding them, be they vegan or not.

They usually eat Alpro Junior soya milk and fortified cereals for breakfast, take Wellkid supplements, sandwiches for lunch, Nakd bars/moo-free for snacks and treats... but dinner is really stumping me.

What kind of things should they be eating for a healthy, balanced diet? What can I use for protein that isn't beans/pulses (which they all hate)? I've heard about a thing called nutritional yeast but what is it and how do I use it?

I guess what i'm really asking for is a crash course in vegan diets from people who already know what they're doing!

Thanks in advance
Purp and David3 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Is the mom out of their lives? I can't imagine why she wouldn't be helpful with their meals. I assume shes vegan?
Are you at least vegetarian? I applaud you for trying to keep them on track. It can't be easy not knowing their usual meals
Do you keep a whole food diet, because I would have some processed food. No saying you should, but it sounds like you're in UK? I've heard amazing things about Linda McCartneys foods
Anyway, you will want to read up. Do you know if they have a pediatrician involved with the diet choices?

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/realveganchildren
#3 Old 06-08-2016, 07:39 PM
Vegan since 1991

Welcome, aberrans!

Ah, the joys of trying to feed picky children.

How long will they be living with you? If it's just for a few days, then processed foods are OK. It's more important that they eat enough and keep up their strength.

There are several good vegan nutrition guides online, but they are geared towards older teens and adults. Vegan children require a higher percentage of fat in their diet than do older people: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/pregnancy.htm

My advice: Make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian (RD) who specializes in pediatric nutrition and vegetarian nutrition. They can give you accurate information about vegan children's needs. In the UK, you can find a local RD through the Association of UK Dieticians: http://www.freelancedietitians.org/d...vate-practice/

Purp likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-08-2016, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrans View Post
Hi, i'm a non-vegan trying to feed 3 vegan children aged 9 and 7 and could use some advice.

I didn't really know anything about vegan diets until a few weeks ago and have been googling and researching without much success. Most of the information is quite vague, sometimes contradictory and often recipes need speciality foods I have to shop especially for.

I bought a book called Vegan With A Vengeance and started cooking. Unfortunately the kids all turned their noses up! I then tried to veganise the meals we usually cook for them instead of jumping right in (to ease the transition) and they ate everything except the new vegan parts of the recipes, so now i'm completely stuck!

They're used to eating a vegan diet at home but sadly I can't get any information or recipes from their mum, and what little they can tell me usually involves processed foods which i'm not keen on feeding them, be they vegan or not.

They usually eat Alpro Junior soya milk and fortified cereals for breakfast, take Wellkid supplements, sandwiches for lunch, Nakd bars/moo-free for snacks and treats... but dinner is really stumping me.

What kind of things should they be eating for a healthy, balanced diet? What can I use for protein that isn't beans/pulses (which they all hate)? I've heard about a thing called nutritional yeast but what is it and how do I use it?

I guess what i'm really asking for is a crash course in vegan diets from people who already know what they're doing!

Thanks in advance
Hello, you sound just like I did when I had to figure out veganism for a nephew and a niece who moved here (Seattle) and my knowledge of veganism was quite....Uh, Non-existent, shall we say. Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and grains. There are several books on vegan cooking and baking (641 in the library). The health and nutrition books are in 613, and I recommend "The Complete Idiot's Guide to a Plant Based Diet by Julienna Hever, Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis, Vesanto Melina (these three ladies are registered dietitians, so they know what they are talking about.

Nutritional Yeast (or Nooch) is proof that there is a kind and loving God. If you have a major grocery store (mainstream) near you, it should be in the health food section. You might have them help out in the kitchen, chopping things and stirring things up. If you have a farmer's market nearby, go there and pick up fresh fruits and veggies there. I hope this helps.
LedBoots likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#5 Old 06-09-2016, 03:20 AM

Thanks guys for all your help, I really appreciate it

Does anyone have any advice on alternatives to beans/lentils? For some reason the kids won’t eat them in any form, even if they’re pulsed into unrecognisable mush! I guess they must hate the taste? Also dad is seriously allergic to nuts, so no nuts in our house When we’re out and about they’re fine with Nakd bars, but are there any other alternative ways to get nuts into their diet without killing their father?! Lol

Silva - Mum is in their lives and resident parent (i’m only evil stepmum ) and has been vegan for many years, but me and their dad are meat eaters. Honestly i’ve no idea why mum’s not being very helpful as she’s been pushing us to feed them vegan for at least 6 years! Now we’re doing it we’re getting less agro, but no where near a sufficient amount of help in making the transition easier on the kids, who have already tearfully expressed their desire to go back to how things were before (mostly veggie, meat/dairy if they ask for it). Their dad is only reluctantly going along with it (he’s been a militant meat-eater since splitting up from mum) so i’m stuck figuring it out on my own for the moment. The kids have been great, super supportive and understanding, but they’re still only kids and it’s been tough on them for many years, stuck in the middle of what i’ve playfully dubbed the Vegan Wars ;P

We’ve tried the Linda McCartney range with limited success (which is a shame as it seems the most healthy option i’ve found) and have exhausted all the supermarkets in our area for other processed vegan foods. What other brands would you recommend? I’m thinking of shopping online with Ocado or something in the hopes they’ll have a better selection.

We would love to talk to their pediatrician but apparently this is unacceptable, to mum and to the doctors surgery who will only give dad permission to see their records with mum’s consent, which honestly I find a little ridiculous! But we’ve learned the hard way how biased the system is against father’s and their rights.

David3 - The kids live with us half the time. Honestly it’s the fat I have trouble with as me and dad have a low-fat diet, but i’ve heard using extra oil in their food is a good way to boost fat intake? Which type of oil is best, rapeseed maybe? I’ve got one 7 year old who can’t eat in volume so i’m struggling to pack the energy she needs into smaller portions.

Oh i’d never thought about going to an RD, thanks for the link!

Purp - Thanks for the book recommendations, and i’ll definitely be hitting the library!

What can I use Nooch for? Is it a powder I can add to sauces? I try to sneak marmite into foods (cos they all hate it, weirdos! ) but do both have the same nutritional value?

The kids already cook with me (they each choose 1 meal a week, write the list, go to the supermarket with me and then help to cook) but the problem being i’m not sure WHAT to cook! I’ve tried veganising their favourite meals without success (I didn’t think they tasted too bad but the kids cried!!) so it very much feels like we’re back to square one.
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 06-09-2016, 06:42 AM
Beginner

Quinoa is high in protein - and it's not a bean

You can use it with dishes where you typically would use rice. Try it like a stir fry with some delicious vegan sauce and veggies. Wrap it in a tortilla shell with a 'cheesy' sauce and tiny pieces of veggies and strips of sundried tomatoes. Or try mexican quinoa (just skip the beans) http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09/...exican-quinoa/

You will find good vegan recipes using nutritional yeast (nooch) to make a cheesy taste. Avocadoes, full fat coconut milk, and tahini can help make things creamy. Even blending potatoes, onions, garlic and italian spices can give a similar feel to alfredo sauce. Look up recipes with positive user comments.

Give hummus another chance...different brands taste different imo. I sometimes add a small amount of red lentils to saucy dishes or soups....I know you said your kids notice, but maybe you added too many?

Once in a while I give my kids tofu...squeeze out the liquid and then marinate in a sauce...then bake or fry it up. I do this:
fried curry tofu slices on top of blended or mashed green peas topped with toasted panko crumbs w/ a side of cooked beets and sweet potato rounds (coat w/ olive oil & garlic, bake 420 F convection for 20-25 min...top w/ fried sage)

My 5-yr-old eats these things. Hope this helps, wishing you the best!
Purp, LedBoots, David3 and 1 others like this.
#7 Old 06-09-2016, 12:04 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
David3 - The kids live with us half the time. Honestly it’s the fat I have trouble with as me and dad have a low-fat diet, but i’ve heard using extra oil in their food is a good way to boost fat intake? Which type of oil is best, rapeseed maybe? I’ve got one 7 year old who can’t eat in volume so i’m struggling to pack the energy she needs into smaller portions.

Rapeseed oil (called "canola oil" in the United States) is low in saturated fat, which makes it a good choice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola#Health_information

Tofu (made from soybeans) is another protein option. It can be well-mashed and added to spaghetti sauce (kind of looks like ricotta cheese).

Purp and Thalassa4 like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#8 Old 06-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Thanks guys for all your help, I really appreciate it

Does anyone have any advice on alternatives to beans/lentils? For some reason the kids won’t eat them in any form, even if they’re pulsed into unrecognisable mush! I guess they must hate the taste? Also dad is seriously allergic to nuts, so no nuts in our house When we’re out and about they’re fine with Nakd bars, but are there any other alternative ways to get nuts into their diet without killing their father?! Lol

Silva - Mum is in their lives and resident parent (i’m only evil stepmum ) and has been vegan for many years, but me and their dad are meat eaters. Honestly i’ve no idea why mum’s not being very helpful as she’s been pushing us to feed them vegan for at least 6 years! Now we’re doing it we’re getting less agro, but no where near a sufficient amount of help in making the transition easier on the kids, who have already tearfully expressed their desire to go back to how things were before (mostly veggie, meat/dairy if they ask for it). Their dad is only reluctantly going along with it (he’s been a militant meat-eater since splitting up from mum) so i’m stuck figuring it out on my own for the moment. The kids have been great, super supportive and understanding, but they’re still only kids and it’s been tough on them for many years, stuck in the middle of what i’ve playfully dubbed the Vegan Wars ;P

We’ve tried the Linda McCartney range with limited success (which is a shame as it seems the most healthy option i’ve found) and have exhausted all the supermarkets in our area for other processed vegan foods. What other brands would you recommend? I’m thinking of shopping online with Ocado or something in the hopes they’ll have a better selection.

We would love to talk to their pediatrician but apparently this is unacceptable, to mum and to the doctors surgery who will only give dad permission to see their records with mum’s consent, which honestly I find a little ridiculous! But we’ve learned the hard way how biased the system is against father’s and their rights.

Oh i’d never thought about going to an RD, thanks for the link!

Purp - Thanks for the book recommendations, and i’ll definitely be hitting the library!

What can I use Nooch for? Is it a powder I can add to sauces? I try to sneak marmite into foods (cos they all hate it, weirdos! ) but do both have the same nutritional value?

The kids already cook with me (they each choose 1 meal a week, write the list, go to the supermarket with me and then help to cook) but the problem being i’m not sure WHAT to cook! I’ve tried veganising their favourite meals without success (I didn’t think they tasted too bad but the kids cried!!) so it very much feels like we’re back to square one.
This woman (Susan Voisin) has a blog post on what nutritional Yeast is. and can tell you a lot better then I can. This is what I get at my local Fred Meyer.* (I'm not sure where you live; Fred Meyer is our local mainstream grocery store, but it's rather big. I'm not sure what your local grocery store is or how big it is, or where you live.
Here are some nooch recipes.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#9 Old 06-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Won't the children's mother give you a list of some of their favorites?
Purp and David3 like this.
#10 Old 06-14-2016, 06:42 AM

Jenn2 - Now why did I not think about quinoa?! Thank you for all of your suggestions 2 out of 3 will eat hummus and tofu so i’m gonna be brave and try another stir fry. Fingers crossed they won’t cry this time!! I think you may be right about the amount of beans/lentils so i’m gonna tone it down too.

David3 - Thank you, i’ll defo be picking up some rapeseed oil and tofu

Purp - I’m in the UK but i’m defo gonna be picking up some nooch, thanks for the links!

LedBoots - Honestly it’s a super complicated situation but the long and short of it is no, mum won’t help us. After 5 years of asking to no effect i’m pretty sure the reason is either embarrassment at how badly they eat at home or pure laziness, both of which are very troubling but completely out of our control.
LedBoots, Thalassa4 and Jenn2 like this.
#11 Old 06-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I see you're in the UK. First, yes to Ocado, it's the best supermarket for vegan stuff by a long straw.

Second, it's super that they're starting to cook with you. I think that will be the way forward, getting them engaged in making their own favourites. Until you've got a menu of home cooked foods, I'd keep trying with the subs/alternative.

Try these vegetable fingers with mash and veg - I'd be shocked if kids didn't like them: https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...inge_SHELFVIEW

This pesto is also great with pasta or gnocchi: https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...0011_SHELFVIEW

Our favourite vegan 'butter' (trans-fat free): https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...0011_SHELFVIEW

We LOVE these: https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...tney_SHELFVIEW

Very tasty sliced in sandwiches: https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...lony_SHELFVIEW

Perfect custard: https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...tard_SHELFVIEW

Not bad vegan cheese for cheese and tomato sandwiches (like Edam slices): https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...eese_SHELFVIEW

Gorgeous ice cream: https://www.ocado.com/webshop/getSea...=swedish+glace
Purp likes this.
#12 Old 06-14-2016, 12:29 PM

Spudulika - Thank you for the links! We already use Pure/Alpro/Swedish glace (two of us are lactose intolerant) but unfortunately the kids won't eat vegetable fingers (or vegetables in general tbh!) or ANY of the Linda McCartney range so far I'll defo be buying that pesto though as their dad has a nut allergy - coriander pesto is our current nut-free fave but the kids find it too flavourful, so fingers crossed for the red one!

I also think I may have to cave on the fake meat/dairy thing just to keep them fed. As a vegan how to do you feel about using products that emulate meat/dairy?

Unfortunately they've been growing veg, shopping/cooking with me and engaging in the whole food process for years now, so i'm not sure how to take this to the next level to keep them keen.
Purp and Thalassa4 like this.
#13 Old 06-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Veggie Recycler

I'm not trying to be rude, but maybe it's your cooking - not that you are a bad cook, just that you aren't used to preparing these new foods...children tend to like things that they're used to, which is why it's kind of unnerving their mother won't make some recommendations, or share her recipes with you.

Honestly I don't think it's healthy the father is a "militant" meat eater, either. Eating meat isn't an ethical value, if he likes meat, that's fine, but using it as a psychological bartering chip with his children isn't ok, if he's ONLY saying it out of contempt for his ex. So kudos to you for trying your best to feed the kids vegan or vegetarian food.

Not all "fake meat" is bad - lots are based on tofu, seitan, or pea protein, some are even organic, so don't be too quick to judge that necessarily. Tofurky makes delicious seitan bacon. Gardein makes excellent Fishless Filets, and Beyond Meat makes a very healthy veggie burger. Vegan cheeses can be made from nuts, but you can make your own cheese sauce from nutritional yeast, or try Amys or Earth Balance brand of mac n cheez.
Purp likes this.
#14 Old 06-17-2016, 03:52 AM
Happy Vegan

hey there, sounds like you definitely have your hands full, but well done you for giving it such a good go. my kids aren't vegan, but i am so i have quite a bit of experience coming up with kid friendly vegan meals so that i don't have to cook two dinners every night! here are some of my kids favourites... pasta with tomato sauce (you can add chickpeas, or some eggplant, or zucchini to mix it up a bit) Veggie burgers are always a hit as are veggie tacos- i make mine using seitan, but any mock meat mince substitute would work really well and then just use the packet taco mix and you have a very easy, tasty meal. Veggie stir fries with tofu or fried rice always works well and quick and easy to whip up. My advice keep it simple and keep smiling... you'll get there. Hope this helped a little.
Purp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#15 Old 06-28-2016, 07:25 AM

Thalassa4 - I’m certainly not used to cooking vegan yet, which is why i’m trying to veganise their favourite meals to minimise the change for them. A little difficult as they seem to hate every substitute i’ve tried so far, and as you said even harder since mum won’t help in any way.

As for their father’s attitude towards meat i’m afraid that too much time being forced into a vegan lifestyle against his will has changed his whole relationship with food. Whereas before food was a non-issue for him it is now a constant source of stress in our lives, and he is very passionate about his right to chose his lifestyle for himself rather than having someone's beliefs forced upon him, or having his own beliefs oppressed. Unlike the children's mother he never forcibly argues his values to try and sway them and always respects their decisions when it comes to food. The only reason they started eating meat in the first place is because they asked for it, and after lots of family meetings we agreed to respect their decision.

Thanks for the recommendations - seitan is next on my list, fingers crossed they like it!

Georgiab - Thanks for your advice, I need to remember to keep smiling at mealtimes these days! I’m determined to bring them over to the idea of stir fry, fingers crossed they can get over their phobia of noodles and vegetables!!
Purp likes this.
#16 Old 06-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:

Thanks in advance
If they are 7 and 9, they can help in the kitchen. Have them wash and chop vegetables, add them to the pot, and eat it willingly. Ask them what their favorite foods are, and would they like to help prepare them? Bake some vegan goodies and have them stir in things like the chocolate chips (or whatever). I hope this helps.

#17 Old 09-12-2016, 09:49 AM
99% Vegan

@aberrans

I am going to jump in here, just in case someone needs this info, as I know a bit about food and picky eaters. Children usually do not want to eat differently from their peers or from the majority of society. And, they often want to eat exactly like the parent they idolize. Othertimes, they rebel with food because they are angry at the entire situation. My nephew was doing all of the above.

What we had to do with my nephew is tell him that he either eats the vegetables or he won't get any treats because he will get very sick instead and won't be able to keep the treats down. He used to get terribly constipated. I had to convince my sister that he needs milk alternatives and prunes. Turns out he has a dairy allergy (constipation, dry itchy skin) and has Celiac. He was made to understand that we need to get him unconstipated and vegetables and prunes was how you did this. Otherwise, his stomach will always hurt and he won't be able to play.

1. Kale smoothies: Take their favourite fruit and blend it in a soy milk smoothie with kale in it. Kale is a superfood that has a lot of the nutrition they need. Pineapple will add a sweetness to it that will overpower the Kale, which is what we want.

2. Noodles: They actually have noodles made from beans. They look and taste like noodles - when you put sauce on them. My nephew never like beans either, but he will eat the noodles.

3. Puree vegetables inside of tomato sauce and toss it over noodles. This hides the veggies and makes them palatable. Overtime, you slowly add in minced versions of the veggies and increase their size. This makes them get used to the veggies.

4. Sometimes, children prefer vegetables raw in a salad with no dressing. This is not always the case. My nephew is this way, but your children may not be. I only mention it, just in case this is true for someone who reads this, as I am not convinced this is true in your case.

5. Indian Spices: Often times, if you can curry it, they will eat it. The Garam Masala gives it a different flavour that makes it taste better.

6. In my nephews case, if we could get Dad to eat it as part of what he normally eats, then we could get Nephew to eat it. Problem - his dad loved his fast food and was not eating properly.

7. Muffins - Take a muffin recipe, and add pureed vegetables to the batter. You can do this with cupcakes too!

8. Giving them nutrition lessons with pictures of how other animals eats, who eat vegan, sometimes helps. If they love rabbits, discuss what vegetables a rabbit eats and why they might need that vegetable. "Carrots help them see better. It has vitamin A in it. We need vitamin A too to see," for example.

9. Tofu: The way to get non-tofu eaters to eat Tofu is to buy the soft tofu and just puree it into whatever sauces you are making. Also, I find that tofu tastes best when cooked with Ginger in olive oil. Then, I would add bragg's liquid aminos to it after I got the tofu brown enough. I would turn the heat up to high and when it smells carmelized, it done.

Tofu Options: Add in minced fennel bulb and chili powder, add in a little bit of ketchup and you have a good sausage. Or, add in Vegan worcestershire sauce to the Tofu (you can skip the Braggs here) and you have a good Vegan meat. (This is is not allergic to alcohol or someother ingredient like mustard powder.)

Allergies: Depending on how allergic to nuts Dad is, usually, if we are on kissing terms with the person, we won't eat the food they are allergic to unless, they need to actually injest enough of the protein before they will get sick. I have a nephew who is very allergic to Cherries, and because he was a toddler with high functioning autism, I gave up cherries for a while. It was impossible to keep him out of the cherries. In my nehphew's case, any contact with cherries gave him hives.

Best Wishes!
Purp likes this.

Allergic99%Vegan
#18 Old 09-13-2016, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in the States, but Quorn has a new vegan line which is delicious and can be used in place of meat. It's available on both sides of the pond, so you could just feed them that. In my opinion, the worry about "processed foods" is overblown, but still, if you want something that's more of a "whole food" but still delicious and easy to prepare, I'd mentioned two options, both of which are high in protein: (1) tempeh sauteed in olive oil and soy sauce, served over brown rice, with hemp seeds and chopped green onions sprinkled on top; and (2) vegan chana masala, which is chickpeas served in masala sauce made with coconut milk and olive oil instead of cream and ghee, served over basmati rice. The masala sauce also goes nicely with the Quorn vegan pieces.
#19 Old 09-15-2016, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Just saw this article in my email-
21 Kid-Friendly Ideas and Recipes to Help Them Love Vegan Foods

Written by Pamela Fergusson, RD, PhD
http://www.nomeatathlete.com/kids-eat-vegan/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page