Ethical conundrum with vegan protein sources - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

#31 Old 06-06-2016, 03:35 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngaDinga View Post
Some really good info here, thank you all who replied!

So my cow example is obviously not sustainable on a global level. One of the big reasons I went vegan, but thanks for re-enforcing that for me guys. I suppose I just wanted to know if anyone else ever probes the ethical and environmental aspects of many vegan foods - I feel that just because it's plant-based, it's not beyond reproach on an ethical level. I don't see many vegans discussing that kind of thing online.
Well, I have boycotted Nestle's products since the 1970s, and I try to avoid palm oil in products. I buy local foods when available, including a share from a local community organic garden. I buy nearly all my clothing, cars, and everything I can second hand, so it wasn't made just for me. Wouldn't buy diamonds even if I were tempted.

You probably don't read as much about vegans avoiding other things besides animal products because they are by farrrrrr the #1 disgusting thing done by man.
Naturebound and Thalassa4 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
They're planning the first permanent settlement within 10 years! I don't particularly agree with humans colonising Mars, but it's terribly interesting science.
Mmm. They are just planning on sending astronauts to Mars. For large numbers of earth dwellers to live there, the atmosphere has to be cultivated so that people could walk around and live sort of like they do here. The most optimistic estimate I've heard is 100 years.
#33 Old 06-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Some really good info here, thank you all who replied!

So my cow example is obviously not sustainable on a global level. One of the big reasons I went vegan, but thanks for re-enforcing that for me guys. I suppose I just wanted to know if anyone else ever probes the ethical and environmental aspects of many vegan foods - I feel that just because it's plant-based, it's not beyond reproach on an ethical level. I don't see many vegans discussing that kind of thing online.
Hmm where exactly are you seeing this? The animal rights movement does encourage what is essentially a transitional period for vegans, just to get them off of animal products, which are not only more harmful to the animals, but extremely more harmful to the environment. Hog and cattle farms are worse overall for the environment than processed food.

You see a lot of this because it can be challenging for people to suddenly leave behind everything they have ever known, psychologically, and in the case of dairy, even physical dependence plays a role.

Many vegans or vegetarians are concerned with corporations, palm oil, and fossil fuels. I boycotted Nestlé before I became vegan on the grounds of water waste and theft, and avoid Unilever and Conagra, as much as I can. I became more wary of palm oil when I found out about the environmental impact, and attempt to eat LESS palm oil right now, and seek ethical harvesting companies when I do. I take public transportation, vote for the environment over everything except basic human rights, and am active in grass roots politics this year, as well as online "slacktavism" through social media, petitions and blogs. I attended a protest against TPP, and have spent hours over months trying to make people aware of TPP and the damage it would do.

There are certainly vegans more conservationist than myself, but I see myself working towards that. I now make my own toothpaste, wash my hair less, wash my face in coconut oil, wear less make up, look for ethical brands, and am in the process of learning how to make my own seitan, and form a lifestyle less dependent on convenience, which is especially a transition for me living in Los Angeles and because of the nature of my work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-15-2016, 08:11 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
the notion that being animal-free absolves us from examining the production of our food
Which is something I've never actually heard. And given how much of the argument about factory farming revolves around production issues, I doubt we ever will.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Last edited by Dave in MPLS; 06-15-2016 at 08:15 PM.

Tags
ethical protein , ethics , vegan problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page