Tummy issues as a Newbie - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By BobJustBob

#1 Old 05-04-2016, 08:13 AM

Tummy issues as a Newbie

Hello everyone. So after years and years of being heavily into health and fitness, I have finally realized the best health comes from cutting animal products (also most ethical). About 3 weeks ago I pretty much went cold turkey and went straight into RawTill4. I felt improvements in my overall well being and energy almost immediately and am loving feeling more awake, alert, and having more endurance while exercising ect. I also love that I can eat in abundance and feel full and not once had an urge for a snack attack or bad food binge. However my stomach has been having a rough time adjusting. I know it is normal to have some stomach issues when there's a change in diet, however I'm kind of surprised that going into week 4 I'm still having gas/bloating problems. Especially being I wasn't a terribly unhealthy before hand. I certainly am eating way more fruit, veggies and whole grains than I ever had before and the amount of fiber is a huge increase to my system, but I'm looking for people with experience to help boost my spirits on this- there is literally not one vegan I know in my life, lol. What's weird is that it tends to come around the same time each day, in the afternoon. It's annoying because it affects me at work as it is painful. I started switching up my breakfast to cooked oatmeal mixed with fruit, and it definitely has improved a little. I drink about a gallon of water each day and have almost no soy. I'm hoping to get some hopeful feedback from people who know or have experienced the same because I honestly feel better overall since going vegan, and it's so comforting to know this an actual sustainable lifestyle where I no longer have to calorie restrict or worry about the effect food is having on me - other than the discomfort from gas! Sorry for the rant and thanks in advance for the support

Last edited by VegginOut22; 05-04-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegginOut22 View Post
Hello everyone. So after years and years of being heavily into health and fitness, I have finally realized the best health comes from cutting animal products (also most ethical). About 3 weeks ago I pretty much went cold turkey and went straight into RawTill4. I felt improvements in my overall well being and energy almost immediately and am loving feeling more awake, alert, and having more endurance while exercising ect. I also love that I can eat in abundance and feel full and not once had an urge for a snack attack or bad food binge. However my stomach has been having a rough time adjusting. I know it is normal to have some stomach issues when there's a change in diet, however I'm kind of surprised that going into week 4 I'm still having gas/bloating problems. Especially being I wasn't a terribly unhealthy before hand. I certainly am eating way more fruit, veggies and whole grains than I ever had before and the amount of fiber is a huge increase to my system, but I'm looking for people with experience to help boost my spirits on this- there is literally not one vegan I know in my life, lol. What's weird is that it tends to come around the same time each day, in the afternoon. It's annoying because it affects me at work as it is painful. I started switching up my breakfast to cooked oatmeal mixed with fruit, and it definitely has improved a little. I drink about a gallon of water each day and have almost no soy. I'm hoping to get some hopeful feedback from people who know or have experienced the same because I honestly feel better overall since going vegan, and it's so comforting to know this an actual sustainable lifestyle where I no longer have to calorie restrict or worry about the effect food is having on me - other than the discomfort from gas! Sorry for the rant and thanks in advance for the support
I'm sorry to hear that your veg transition has hit a few bumps. It's possible that, with your new diet, you are eating more of a certain food to which you are allergic. You might find it useful to make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian who specializes in vegetarian nutrition.

In the United States, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the website of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Just click on the red "Find an Expert" button in the upper-right portion of the webpage: http://www.eatright.org .

In Canada, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the website of the Dietitians of Canada: http://www.dietitians.ca/Your-Health...Dietitian.aspx

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 05-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Veggie Recycler

Raw til 4 doesn't work for everyone. You may settle into it, and adjust to eating more fiber, but the reality could be long term that you actually should be eating more cooked food or just less fruit. I have heard multiple complaints from some people about stomach issues, so give it a short while, could just be the increase in fiber or change in diet, but if it persists, please don't give up on veganism, because there are many other options.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

I also would have suggested a slower transition.
I had no issues transitioning to a plant based diet, but still can't tolerate too much raw vegetables. I'm fine with leafys, cukes, but things like raw broccoli, cauliflower or zucchini tears me up. It's as if I swallowed mulch, just sits high on my stomach for what seems like forever.
Cooked veggies of all kinds, seitan, soy, beans, fruits but a veggie tray? No way!

Anyway, I hope you go back to more friendly foods and go a bit easier on raw. We do have pretty full - raw vegan's here who talk about a hard transition time, but that it was worth doing, so check out the threads here.
#5 Old 05-04-2016, 11:30 PM

VegginOut22:

First of all, welcome to VeggieBoards and welcome to the healthiest diet available.

Many individuals experience gas and bloating upon transitioning to a whole-food, plant-based diet. The population of bacteria in the gut of longtime veg*ans is vastly different from that of people who eat a conventional diet. Science tells us that the gut microbiome of people eating a WFPB diet is made up of beneficial bacteria which specialize in digesting the insoluble fiber found in plants. These bacteria digest the fiber and break it down into metabolites which serve to regulate the immune system of the host and keep it in check, thereby preventing a number of autoimmune and other inflammatory illnesses.

It takes awhile for one's gut microbiome to transition to the species which specialize in digesting fiber. Hang in there--it will get better with time, I assure you.

In the meantime, do everything you can to make it easier on your system to handle a WFPB diet. I cannot emphasize this too strongly: you must learn to chew your food extremely thoroughly. In doing so, you will break down the food into tiny particles which can be broken down further by your own digestive enzymes and which can be processed properly by the bacteria in your gut. Chew each mouthful until it has the consistency of a smoothie. I am guessing 95% or more of new veg*ans don't chew their food well enough when they first transition to a WFPB diet.

If you are eating a lot of beans, there is an additional factor to consider. Beans contain complex sugars known as oligosaccharides. If these oligosaccharides reach the large intestine undigested they can promote the formation of gas by certain bacteria. I've read a number of articles--one by Dr. Dean Ornish--which claim that people who eat beans on a frequent basis will begin to make more of the digestive enzymes which break down these oligosaccharides, thereby preventing gas formation. This seemed to be the case with me: when I first started eating a WFPB diet, if I ate a meal with a lot of beans I would develop some gas. However, I can now eat a virtual mountain of beans with no problems whatsoever.

There are a number of over-the-counter digestive aids which can help prevent gas formation from eating beans. The most well-known is Beano. These products contain an enzyme which breaks down the oligosaccharides. I tried one of these when I was first transitioning to a WFPB diet and was eating a meal with a lot of beans, and it seemed to help. I gradually weaned myself off this aid as my digestive system became better able to handle beans on its own.

(Here's a great article about how the fiber in one's diet influences the makeup of the bacteria in the gut and the role this has in health: http://tinyurl.com/kf9o369 .)
VegginOut22 likes this.

Last edited by BobJustBob; 05-04-2016 at 11:42 PM.
#6 Old 05-05-2016, 10:52 AM

Thank you so much this was extremely encouraging and helpful! I am feeling very hopeful today because I have started taking beano for a few days now and it does seem to be getting better and better. Totally makes sense about the adjustment and the bacteria in the gut. It's SO comforting to know this is normal and common because I never wanted to go back to my old diet with the knowledge I have now and how much better it's making me feel overall

Tags
bloating , gas , rawtil4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page