Discolored skin - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By karenlovessnow

#1 Old 05-03-2016, 07:54 PM

Discolored skin

First I'd like to thank this board for in part helping me go vegan. I'm really beginning to see some great changes in myself and at 19, I'm ready for many years ahead of me to be cruelty free!

I've been vegetarian for roughly 8 months now and vegan for 2 of those. I've been feeling significantly better (more energy, more motivated, loving my diet, and countless other great things), however I've noticed within the last week or so that I've been seeing some dark spots appear on my skin. My hands look like they're covered in some sort of bronze polish while my arms and torso have very few of what appear to be liver spots. Does anyone know what this could be caused by, some vitamin deficiency maybe? I've searched a bit and haven't found anything yet, so I've come here since VB has given me some pretty good help in the past. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2016, 08:14 PM

Just realized some pictures might help, lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160503_195539.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	14457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160503_195558.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	14465  
#3 Old 05-03-2016, 08:24 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_whiteman View Post
First I'd like to thank this board for in part helping me go vegan. I'm really beginning to see some great changes in myself and at 19, I'm ready for many years ahead of me to be cruelty free!

I've been vegetarian for roughly 8 months now and vegan for 2 of those. I've been feeling significantly better (more energy, more motivated, loving my diet, and countless other great things), however I've noticed within the last week or so that I've been seeing some dark spots appear on my skin. My hands look like they're covered in some sort of bronze polish while my arms and torso have very few of what appear to be liver spots. Does anyone know what this could be caused by, some vitamin deficiency maybe? I've searched a bit and haven't found anything yet, so I've come here since VB has given me some pretty good help in the past. Thanks in advance!
Hi andrew, some questions
Are you taking iron supplements?
Taking any medications (antibiotics?)
Any health history for you?
Do you eat a lot of carrots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-03-2016, 09:36 PM

Hi, I only take a centrum daily multivitamin. Other than that, no supplements or medications. As far as health history, I've been a little overweight for most of my life but lost much of my weight in the last year but haven't really struggled with health other than breaking my ankle once. Did you mean medical conditions from parents as well? And for carrots, not really but I have been in the last couple of days. These spots showed up before I started eating more carrots.
#5 Old 05-03-2016, 11:37 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_whiteman View Post
Hi, I only take a centrum daily multivitamin. Other than that, no supplements or medications. As far as health history, I've been a little overweight for most of my life but lost much of my weight in the last year but haven't really struggled with health other than breaking my ankle once. Did you mean medical conditions from parents as well? And for carrots, not really but I have been in the last couple of days. These spots showed up before I started eating more carrots.
Hmm. I don't think I've seen anything like that before.

So the color of the spots and palms is a coppery color? What about the soles of your feet, are they as normal?
#6 Old 05-04-2016, 01:36 AM

Yeah the soles of my feet seem to look normal. Really stumped as to what it may be, I know my Omega 3 and 6 intake has increased a quite a bit in the last month.
#7 Old 05-04-2016, 01:54 AM
Beginner

Hi Andrew

I'm not sure if this thread is of use to you - similar issues with orangey brown stains on the palms of hands. Apparently it was possibly caused by contact with rotting fruit juices. It seems that lemon juice applied to the stains helped fade them.

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/foru...d/page__st__25
#8 Old 05-04-2016, 02:00 AM
Beginner

Iodine/hyperthyroidism/iron are also suggested as possible causes.
#9 Old 05-04-2016, 02:17 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Also skin lotions with tanning chemicals in them, like some Jergens products.
#10 Old 05-04-2016, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Also skin lotions with tanning chemicals in them, like some Jergens products.

That was my first thought when I saw the photos. Looks just like self tanner!
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page