Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 2 Post By Aliakai
  • 5 Post By Poppy
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Thalassa4

#1 Old 04-20-2016, 12:06 AM

Vegan Cheese

Trying to be vegan instead of vegetarian, but cheese is my weakness. Vegan cheeses I've tried have been disgusting and artificial tasting. A
Anyone know a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2016, 01:51 AM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatingtoliveagain View Post
Trying to be vegan instead of vegetarian, but cheese is my weakness. Vegan cheeses I've tried have been disgusting and artificial tasting. A
Anyone know a solution?
If you're patient, make your own. I picked up Artisan Vegan Cheese by Miyoko Schinner. Most of the recipes are amazing, and they're aged with rejuvelac, which is made from sprouted quinoa. They're pretty easy to make and I've used them at the wine tastings I hold at my house, my omnivorous friends asked me why I had cheese in the house!

There's also The Uncheese Cookbook if you don't want to age them, or the Non-Dairy Formulary.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 04-20-2016, 01:53 PM
Ankle Biter

Go completely cheese free for a while before you consider cheese substitutes. It's better if you lose your taste for real cheese before you use the subs. But, even though it may seem hard at first, it's absolutely possible to live without cheese. And you'll actually think it tastes bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-20-2016, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

I never had to learn the metric system, and struggled when faced with conversions. I would try to compare them - 1 liter about 1 quart, - know what I mean? But I lacked understanding. I finally learned to appreciate the system of tens on their own merit, and now I understand what the measurements are without trying to compare them to an unequal system

I don't know if that makes sense, but I'm trying to say don't think you can 'replace' cheese. Instead, try and change to new tastes that satisfy the things cheese does, but appreciate them for their own qualities.

Cheese is salty, fatty, sometimes tangy and just weird tasting with a bite. It has a creaminess, stickiness.

Avocado. Olives of ALL kinds. Sauteed mushrooms. Caremelized onions. Roasted garlic. Olive oil. Artichoke hearts.

I never had the fancier pricier vegan cheeses like Chao or Tree something. Daiya cheddar shreds makes a great grilled cheese though. Just like American slices.
I now find vegan cheeses like Trader Joes mozzeralla have their place, but they're not a trade off.
I really missed blue cheese on a chop salad but now I love green olives, walnuts, apples, celery maybe some dried cranberries and balsamic vinagrette just as much

There are good homemade nut spreads. Nutritional yeast is very good with vegan mayo like Just Mayo. Silken tofu and lemon juice and nut yeast and spices and olive oil also good, like ricotta
Don't look at healthy alternatives as a direct sub either. They're fine on their own, but won't replace what you're craving. I'd like to scream every time I click on a link using some kind of potato in a cheese spread.
Thalassa4 and Jenn2 like this.
#5 Old 04-21-2016, 07:02 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatingtoliveagain View Post
Anyone know a solution?
That is great that you are going vegan, good for you! Cheese is tough, as others have said, it's not so much replacing it with an exact cheese replica, more like getting that satisfaction from other foods.

What is it about cheese that you will miss? Olives have the chewy texture and salty taste, full fat coconut milk or blended cashews can make vegan sauces nice and creamy. My go-to was cashew butter blended with lemon juice and salt. To me that tastes better than cheese! Try it as a sauce in a burrito. It is different enough that you don't expect that cheesy taste but it is just as satisfying.

After awhile, when you forget how cheese actually tastes, try small amounts of vegan cheese in dishes - but by then you may not miss it anymore. I've had cheese by accident after going vegan for a few months and I didn't even like the taste anymore. Welcome, I hope you have fun experimenting to meet your own tastes!
#6 Old 04-21-2016, 08:54 PM
Vegan since 1991

As others have already said, tangy foods can provide the same sense of satisfaction that cheese does. On sandwiches, using mustard can satisfy the desire for cheese. On pizza, marinated green olives and artichoke hearts can satisfy the desire for cheese.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#7 Old 04-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Veggie Recycler

Sandwiches - hummus or Just Mayo

Burritos - guacamole

Salads or vegetables - sesame tahini dressing

Bread for toast or sandwiches - fried or broiled with olive oil

Pizza or mock meat melts - Daiya melted (never plain) with extra marinara and good toppings on the pizza/with extra condiments and nice fillings on the sandwich or veggie dog

I think going without for a while is a good suggestion, then when you have a pizza or sandwich with one of the better vegan cheeses you'll love it. I had Follow Your Heart on a jackfruit "tuna" melt a few days ago and it was an excellent sandwich.

From what I understand fancy nut cheese is better for crackers or salad.
skinnieminnie likes this.
#8 Old 04-24-2016, 03:50 AM

My favorite vegan sauce is made off cashews, potatoes, and carrots. :-) Oh, and of course lots of nutritional yeast. It's super creamy and "cheesy"! Giving up cheese was hard for me too, but now I don't really miss it anymore...It just takes some time to get used to it I guess.
#9 Old 04-27-2016, 11:20 AM

If you really want substitutes: daiya, fieldroast, miyoko, and chao cheese have some yummy ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page