Ugh I'm so conflicted - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By sherocks54

#1 Old 04-18-2016, 12:15 AM

Ugh I'm so conflicted

Ok I have 3 beautiful boys that yes I did buy at petsmart a few years ago two guinea pigs and my dumbo rat i dont want to support vendors but my dumbo rat needs a brother asap he's lonely when I'm away I tried looking for adoptions but there really isn't any in my state what are your thoughts on buying rodents at petstores

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2016, 03:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried looking through Craigslist? Or your local newspaper classifieds? Maybe you could advertise in these yourself asking if anyone has a rat in need of a home and that you are looking for one for a companion for your rat?

I know nothing about rats, but are they social enough that one would accept another rat into his home? I can see this as being tricky.

I personally would not buy from a pet store. I had four birds when I went vegan and eventually was down to one last year. as I vowed not to have any more caged birds. He was very lonely, and I gave him the best company I could, but I refused to buy more to keep this perpetuation of a caged animal and supporting pet stores going. It was hard because I felt so bad for my little society finch being alone, but he seemed ok considering. Once he passed on that was it. I would take in a rescue (personally I would need this animal to be naturally vegan), but not from a breeder or pet shop.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 04-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I really feel uncomfortable with the idea of animals being bred for our amusement - which is how a lot of pet stores seem to operate. I'm not very knowledgable about rodents but are there any other adoption options (like Craigslist - per Naturebound's suggestion)?

Do rats get on with any other species? I know that dwarf rabbits and guinea pigs are often kept together (and we used to pet sit for one of each - often at the same time - and they seemed to quite like each other).

Could you get in touch with some of your local vets? Sometimes people go there first with pets that are no longer wanted (sad but true) - perhaps they might hear of a rat who needs a new home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 AM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherocks54 View Post
Ok I have 3 beautiful boys that yes I did buy at petsmart a few years ago two guinea pigs and my dumbo rat i dont want to support vendors but my dumbo rat needs a brother asap he's lonely when I'm away I tried looking for adoptions but there really isn't any in my state what are your thoughts on buying rodents at petstores

I know how you feel about pet stores, a lot of my fish came from them, as that's about the only place you can get fish except by mail order. I love my fish to death, but walking into one of those places is like walking into a graveyard.

If you rat has been raised in isolation it might not be accepting of another rat, so you'll need to be careful with that, particularly if the other rat is male. I would talk to a vet or someone who specializes in rodents and see whether or not that's a good idea at this stage in his life.

If you're looking for a rescue and live in any of the states they have chapters in, the Rat and Mouse Club of America apparently is good for getting adoptions from.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 04-18-2016, 01:13 PM

Thanks I found a person on Craigslist

ModVegan likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page