14Likes
  • 1 Post By tanyae47
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 5 Post By LedBoots
  • 4 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By LedBoots

#1 Old 03-18-2016, 03:07 PM

Lightbulb Your thoughts on sugar.....

When I first was researching going vegan and found that some sugar is not really totally vegan, I planned on going all out and buying only things that had no non-vegan sugar in it. However, now that I think about it I feel like this is sending a very wrong message to people around me. When they find out I'm vegan, they already think it is out of reach enough, but even more so when they find I don't eat almost all store-bought or restaurant items because of sugar. Even salad dressings in restaurants usually contain sugar, so it seems usually your only option at a restaurant would be lettuce with a few plain vegetables and vinegar or no salad dressing.
Another example: I was having a few people over and one women who is disabled wanted to bring a sweet treat but she can't stand up to cook. I ended up inviting her to bring Oreos which she did and was proud of being able to bring. Technically the sugar in them is not always vegan, but isn't this better than showing to everyone that true, "100%" veganism is really far out? I mean, if we tell them you can still eats Oreos and Jolly Ranchers and store bought crescent rolls and regular tortillas, it doesn't seem so crazy. But if we say they can pretty much only buy organic store bought items their selection is heavily limited and more expensive (I say organic because the few storebought items I have come across with sugar that would be totally vegan are organic, and therefore more expensive, products).
So now I buy only confirmed vegan sugar for what I am making at home, but as for other storebought products and at restaurants I take something with sugar even if it probably has been bleached.
So, what are your thoughts on this?
Do you see my point about how showing people that some of the common foods they already eat and like are vegan?
Do you get what I am saying about how the things with vegan sugar tend to be very much harder to find and more expensive and would likely turn others off of veganism?
Do you agree with me (this is just my thoughts and I have seen a few others echo it) that if more and more people become vegan and have their eyes opened to animal welfare that companies would likely consequently switch over to using vegan sugar, so the end result would be that they do become vegan?
Do you eat sugar is some situations that is not confirmed to be vegan? If someone wants to be a vegan, do you tell them that not all sugar is vegan and that they shouldn't eat anything if the sugar is not confirmed to be vegan?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

I agree 100%
I also buy beet sugar for home, which is certainly a gmo product, and don't worry about the occasional treat I have out.
I used to obsess over everything to the point of OCD. That isn't healthy nor does it benefit animals.
It's the result of being vegan I'm after, not the obsession.
It's weird now that "plant based whole food diets' are catching on, I'm told I can't eat anything from wheat to sugar and white flour if I'm vegan!
#3 Old 03-18-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I agree 100%
I also buy beet sugar for home, which is certainly a gmo product, and don't worry about the occasional treat I have out.
I used to obsess over everything to the point of OCD. That isn't healthy nor does it benefit animals.
It's the result of being vegan I'm after, not the obsession.
It's weird now that "plant based whole food diets' are catching on, I'm told I can't eat anything from wheat to sugar and white flour if I'm vegan!
I'm glad you've found a more comfortable state! I too feel like this is right for me and I feel like I, personally, am making a bigger difference this way. Thanks for replying!
I can't wait to hear what others say too; I bet some have differing opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-19-2016, 04:41 AM

In my view there is nothing against natural sweetness like honney, juice, fruits etc but you should avoid raw sugar which makes you less active and attacks your skin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 03-19-2016, 05:29 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyae47 View Post
When I first was researching going vegan and found that some sugar is not really totally vegan, I planned on going all out and buying only things that had no non-vegan sugar in it. However, now that I think about it I feel like this is sending a very wrong message to people around me. When they find out I'm vegan, they already think it is out of reach enough, but even more so when they find I don't eat almost all store-bought or restaurant items because of sugar. Even salad dressings in restaurants usually contain sugar, so it seems usually your only option at a restaurant would be lettuce with a few plain vegetables and vinegar or no salad dressing.
Another example: I was having a few people over and one women who is disabled wanted to bring a sweet treat but she can't stand up to cook. I ended up inviting her to bring Oreos which she did and was proud of being able to bring. Technically the sugar in them is not always vegan, but isn't this better than showing to everyone that true, "100%" veganism is really far out? I mean, if we tell them you can still eats Oreos and Jolly Ranchers and store bought crescent rolls and regular tortillas, it doesn't seem so crazy. But if we say they can pretty much only buy organic store bought items their selection is heavily limited and more expensive (I say organic because the few storebought items I have come across with sugar that would be totally vegan are organic, and therefore more expensive, products).
So now I buy only confirmed vegan sugar for what I am making at home, but as for other storebought products and at restaurants I take something with sugar even if it probably has been bleached.
So, what are your thoughts on this?
Do you see my point about how showing people that some of the common foods they already eat and like are vegan?
Do you get what I am saying about how the things with vegan sugar tend to be very much harder to find and more expensive and would likely turn others off of veganism?
Do you agree with me (this is just my thoughts and I have seen a few others echo it) that if more and more people become vegan and have their eyes opened to animal welfare that companies would likely consequently switch over to using vegan sugar, so the end result would be that they do become vegan?
Do you eat sugar is some situations that is not confirmed to be vegan? If someone wants to be a vegan, do you tell them that not all sugar is vegan and that they shouldn't eat anything if the sugar is not confirmed to be vegan?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I agree completely. My husband and I have been vegan a long time, and this is how we handle things, too.

And if a package says "may contain traces of.." I still buy it. I also go to restaurants where they might cook my vegan burger on the same cooktop the animals are cooked on. I don't really care, since it doesn't harm another animal. There is a reason why the vegan definition says "when possible and practicable".
#6 Old 03-19-2016, 07:12 AM
Ankle Biter

Yep, I think all but the most strict vegans approach sugar in this way. In my life, if someone makes the effort to to make or buy something vegan for me, I don't question the sugar, I just say "thank you so much!"
LedBoots, scwendy, David3 and 1 others like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#7 Old 03-19-2016, 10:04 AM
Beginner

I agree with you, Tanya. When buying sugar for home baking, I grab the organic evaporated cane sugar; however, for anything pre-made, I don't worry about it. It would be too stressful and indeed it is a turn off for anyone wanting to go vegan.

In fact, it is so much of a turn off that a cousin of mine is vegetarian and when I asked her about it she told me that she couldn't go vegan because it is too difficult - because she wouldn't be able to eat anything with sugar in it. And sugar is in everything. At the time, I didn't know much about being vegan so naturally I agreed with her. Of course, my reaction now would be much different...
#8 Old 03-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Nvm

Last edited by LedBoots; 03-19-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Nvm
#9 Old 03-28-2016, 08:57 AM

Thank you for sharing all of your thoughts on this subject!
#10 Old 03-28-2016, 09:14 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolium View Post
In my view there is nothing against natural sweetness like honney, juice, fruits etc but you should avoid raw sugar which makes you less active and attacks your skin.
Honey is not considered vegan though, because of the bee issue...
Pirate Huntress likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page