Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 5 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By odizzido
  • 1 Post By jjba

#1 Old 03-16-2016, 04:12 PM

Talking No Thanks

Hey guys, I just went Vegan recently and so far so good. My question is how you do guys handle situations where you are invited to family/friends/coworkers events and they offer you food that is not Vegan. How do you politely respond and decline the food they worked so hard to make?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2016, 04:40 PM

Just be honest and say you don't consume animal products. They should respect your own diet decisions. Maybe they'd even be interested or curious enough to ask questions about it, which I have no problem talking about myself.
Pack your own food whenever you go to events/gatherings where you might not find animal free foods. I've had to do this numerous times and never had a problem. No one has ever had a problem with my own personal diet choices. Most are just curious. Juuuuust beeee honest! 👍

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
#3 Old 03-16-2016, 05:38 PM
Ankle Biter

Always try to tell people in advance! Then offer to bring something for everyone to share. And finally, always remember that relationships are more important than food and most people won't notice what you're eating unless you bring attention to it. Don't be the whiner, the difficult one or the preacher! Relax, enjoy the company, and have a good time.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Always try to tell people in advance! Then offer to bring something for everyone to share. And finally, always remember that relationships are more important than food and most people won't notice what you're eating unless you bring attention to it. Don't be the whiner, the difficult one or the preacher! Relax, enjoy the company, and have a good time.
This!
LedBoots likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 03-16-2016, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually say I'm good thanks or something similar. I've never had any issues.
David3 likes this.
#6 Old 03-17-2016, 03:32 AM

With friends etc I politely decline, with family as they all know I'm vegan and are offering to be annoying my response is more along the lines of "you know I'm vegan now you insensitive arsehole" but I wouldn't recommend that haha
EvilCartman likes this.
#7 Old 03-17-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjba View Post
With friends etc I politely decline, with family as they all know I'm vegan and are offering to be annoying my response is more along the lines of "you know I'm vegan now you insensitive arsehole" but I wouldn't recommend that haha
Oh no this is exactly what I would tell my cousins! lol Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page