Chunky Vegan - Losing Weight = Vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
  • 4 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By odizzido
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 3 Post By Thalassa4
  • 1 Post By Thalassa4
  • 2 Post By Thalassa4
  • 1 Post By Spudulika
  • 1 Post By Rhys
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By jennb
  • 1 Post By Aliakai
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 03-11-2016, 09:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5
Chunky Vegan - Losing Weight = Vegan?

Hi all! So, I have a question and this probably isn't the first time this come up but I see on YouTube a lot of super skinny vegans that eat a lot of raw meals or women like Freelee that do the high carb thing and I've found that just doesn't work for me.

I'm a month or two from 30 and I live in the Midwest so I find it's a lot more difficult to get my hands on cheaper fresh produce when it's freezing for months on end. My body also tends to pack on some pounds.

Now I'm by no means overweight. I walk. I stay active. I run when I can between school studies and work. But I'm definitely not RAIL thin. Does anyone else have issues with this? I feel like even though I eat pretty healthy (for the most part) my metabolism just isn't there.

I think it's important to eat things like carbs but talk about ballooning! I guess this is kind of random (I'm a bit sleepy) but ... thoughts?! Does being vegan mean you'll drop tons of weight. Is anyone else self-conscious about this?
RunicRigel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 03-11-2016, 10:44 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunicRigel View Post
Hi all! So, I have a question and this probably isn't the first time this come up but I see on YouTube a lot of super skinny vegans that eat a lot of raw meals or women like Freelee that do the high carb thing and I've found that just doesn't work for me.

I'm a month or two from 30 and I live in the Midwest so I find it's a lot more difficult to get my hands on cheaper fresh produce when it's freezing for months on end. My body also tends to pack on some pounds.

Now I'm by no means overweight. I walk. I stay active. I run when I can between school studies and work. But I'm definitely not RAIL thin. Does anyone else have issues with this? I feel like even though I eat pretty healthy (for the most part) my metabolism just isn't there.

I think it's important to eat things like carbs but talk about ballooning! I guess this is kind of random (I'm a bit sleepy) but ... thoughts?! Does being vegan mean you'll drop tons of weight. Is anyone else self-conscious about this?

Although a number of vegans follow a raw diet, no mainstream vegan organization recommends such a diet. Conventional vegan diets are based on beans, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.

Low-fat, whole food vegan diets promote weight loss because these foods are high in fiber and water. If you eat a diet based on beans, whole grains, fruits and vegetables (with only small amounts of calorie-dense foods, like nuts, oils, and dried fruits), then a vegan diet can help you lose weight.

Mercy For Animals has a beautifully-illustrated Vegetarian Starter Guide (it's actually vegan). It summarizes vegan nutrition on page 13, and it includes lots of very easy meal ideas: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
David3 is offline  
#3 Old 03-12-2016, 12:51 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunicRigel View Post
Hi all! So, I have a question and this probably isn't the first time this come up but I see on YouTube a lot of super skinny vegans that eat a lot of raw meals or women like Freelee that do the high carb thing and I've found that just doesn't work for me.

I'm a month or two from 30 and I live in the Midwest so I find it's a lot more difficult to get my hands on cheaper fresh produce when it's freezing for months on end. My body also tends to pack on some pounds.

Now I'm by no means overweight. I walk. I stay active. I run when I can between school studies and work. But I'm definitely not RAIL thin. Does anyone else have issues with this? I feel like even though I eat pretty healthy (for the most part) my metabolism just isn't there.

I think it's important to eat things like carbs but talk about ballooning! I guess this is kind of random (I'm a bit sleepy) but ... thoughts?! Does being vegan mean you'll drop tons of weight. Is anyone else self-conscious about this?
Hi and welcome.

I think a raw diet is very difficult for lots of people to follow. I eat a vegan diet like described above ^^. Complex carbohydrates are your body's fuel, not the enemy.

Anyway, you say you're by no means overweight, but you called the thread chunky vegan. There are not many people genetically able to get thin like freelee, whatever they do (or don't) eat. Look at your family, mentally subtracting any overweight, and picture if they could get like freelee and her thigh gap.

"Rail thin" is a scary term tbh. I'm a nurse, and when I hear "rail thin" I think of ill people, the elderly, and eating disorders.

You can lose weight easier vegan than not, as it's easy to fill up on low - healthy vegan food.
David3 and Thalassa4 like this.
LedBoots is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 03-12-2016, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular
 
odizzido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 727
Yeah. I'd encourage you to keep some weight on you incase you need it. I keep extra weight on myself for that exact reason. For a while I had no extra weight, then got sick and couldn't keep food down for quite a while. Not having extra fat on me was really hard on my body and it took me a long time to get back up to normal.

edit--------
I am 178cm tall and like to keep between 160-165 pounds for reference.
Thalassa4 likes this.

Last edited by odizzido; 03-12-2016 at 01:19 AM.
odizzido is offline  
#5 Old 03-12-2016, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,942
I think a lot of people lose weight when they turn vegan from being unaware of all the food options, if they're doing it out of ethics rather than health
Tons of junk food, glorious desserts, white flour may not be healthy, but it is vegan. Just eating large portions of food and snacking. When I first went veg, with cheese pizza keeping me from vegan, I did lose weight. As I learned more about food, and cooking, and things like Wise makes onion rings like Funyums that are vegan, I lost the dairy, and gained the weight

People seem to forget that animal products aren't the only things that can make you fat.
There are so ways to be vegan.

I think these blogs are a pretty wide representation of vegan eats that I like, rather than the stricter ones you've mentioned

http://fatfreevegan.com/
http://tofu-n-sproutz.blogspot.com/
http://engine2diet.com/recipes/
http://www.veganricha.com/
LedBoots and David3 like this.
silva is offline  
#6 Old 03-13-2016, 06:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
I agree with sticking with whole plant foods. Avoid oils, they cause arterial damage. If you eat nuts and avocado at all, really keep the amounts down to a minimum. Eat lots of potatoes and try to eat a large mixed salad every day, which can include any raw and cooked veggies you like. The main thing is to eat the plant foods you like and branch out from there. Beans are really good for blood sugar control. Check out the Spudfit guy on Facebook, he weighs about 275-300# (??) and he's eating only potatoes for a year and I believe he lost almost 40# in the first 60 days. Cool guy, too. Potatoes are great diet food!

One way to stay full is to eat lots of soups. You can make them from very basic veggies, you don't need fancy veggies or veggies in pristine condition. Or use frozen mixed veggies in bags. I make soup by throwing into a pot a large can of tomatoes, a bag of frozen mixed veggies, like Italian mix or Cali mix, and a can of rinsed beans. Mix with water and spices and any other veggies you want, like potatoes, carrots, onions, green beans, etc. Super cheap and really good!

Good luck!
LeninsCat is offline  
#7 Old 03-14-2016, 11:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5
For example I'm 5'6 and with a LOT of cardio (1-2 hours a day, 3-4 days a week) I can maintain at around 143 which is the low end for my height but with just walking, average eating I maintain around 145 in the morning to 148 at at night. I like to exercise but being in college and working it's not easy to allocate 1-2 hours a day multiple times a week. I wish I could some how boost my metabolism. I'm also considering eating fewer processed meats. Edit - Just to clarify - fake meats like Gardein ... I love Gardein!
RunicRigel is offline  
#8 Old 03-16-2016, 09:18 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunicRigel View Post
For example I'm 5'6 and with a LOT of cardio (1-2 hours a day, 3-4 days a week) I can maintain at around 143 which is the low end for my height but with just walking, average eating I maintain around 145 in the morning to 148 at at night. I like to exercise but being in college and working it's not easy to allocate 1-2 hours a day multiple times a week. I wish I could some how boost my metabolism. I'm also considering eating fewer processed meats. Edit - Just to clarify - fake meats like Gardein ... I love Gardein!
148 pounds is a healthy weight for a person of your height: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educ...MI/bmicalc.htm
Thalassa4 likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
David3 is offline  
#9 Old 03-19-2016, 01:33 AM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeninsCat View Post
I agree with sticking with whole plant foods. Avoid oils, they cause arterial damage. If you eat nuts and avocado at all, really keep the amounts down to a minimum. Eat lots of potatoes and try to eat a large mixed salad every day, which can include any raw and cooked veggies you like. The main thing is to eat the plant foods you like and branch out from there. Beans are really good for blood sugar control. Check out the Spudfit guy on Facebook, he weighs about 275-300# (??) and he's eating only potatoes for a year and I believe he lost almost 40# in the first 60 days. Cool guy, too. Potatoes are great diet food!

One way to stay full is to eat lots of soups. You can make them from very basic veggies, you don't need fancy veggies or veggies in pristine condition. Or use frozen mixed veggies in bags. I make soup by throwing into a pot a large can of tomatoes, a bag of frozen mixed veggies, like Italian mix or Cali mix, and a can of rinsed beans. Mix with water and spices and any other veggies you want, like potatoes, carrots, onions, green beans, etc. Super cheap and really good!

Good luck!

Uhhh....while some health professionals would agree with you about an oil free diet, a vegan who doesnt have things like nuts, seeds, avacado, olives, and coconut may start to experience problems, in the short term like dry skin and extreme weight loss, and later on could effect overall health. Your brain and nervous system need fat, and omega 3s are found in hemp, walnuts and flax.

Also I think the potato guy has an eating disorder. Though skin on potatoes are quite healthy, I don't think what he's doing is completely sane.
LedBoots, Naturebound and David3 like this.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#10 Old 03-19-2016, 01:40 AM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunicRigel View Post
For example I'm 5'6 and with a LOT of cardio (1-2 hours a day, 3-4 days a week) I can maintain at around 143 which is the low end for my height but with just walking, average eating I maintain around 145 in the morning to 148 at at night. I like to exercise but being in college and working it's not easy to allocate 1-2 hours a day multiple times a week. I wish I could some how boost my metabolism. I'm also considering eating fewer processed meats. Edit - Just to clarify - fake meats like Gardein ... I love Gardein!

Why do you want to be extremely thin? Theres no health reason why you should lose more than a few pounds, if any weight at all at your height. Particularly with your exercise level you probably have muscle which weighs more than fat.
David3 likes this.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#11 Old 03-19-2016, 01:58 AM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Hi and welcome.

I think a raw diet is very difficult for lots of people to follow. I eat a vegan diet like described above ^^. Complex carbohydrates are your body's fuel, not the enemy.

Anyway, you say you're by no means overweight, but you called the thread chunky vegan. There are not many people genetically able to get thin like freelee, whatever they do (or don't) eat. Look at your family, mentally subtracting any overweight, and picture if they could get like freelee and her thigh gap.

"Rail thin" is a scary term tbh. I'm a nurse, and when I hear "rail thin" I think of ill people, the elderly, and eating disorders.

You can lose weight easier vegan than not, as it's easy to fill up on low - healthy vegan food.

Freelee is toxic, not only because she recommended this absurd restrictive diet, but because she tends to subtly body shame, it's obvious from photos of her showing off her hip bones, or how she will turn to the side and nearly disappear. The way she presents herself to me suggests thinspo pro-Ana vanity. ..there's really an emphasis on her objectifying herself in order to sell the diet. Not like look at me I'm healthy, but taking it a step further into look at how thin I am.

I'm only saying this because you're saying not everyone can get as thin as Freelee...I'm not entirely sure Freelee should be as thin as Freelee.

In fact after very short reading, her diet seems to be some psychotic blend of binge disorder and anorexia - eating 50 bananas in one sitting? Sounds like bulimia. Losing her period because of lack of body fat, and claiming it's good for her? Sounds like anorexia.

Yeah no. NO.
Spudulika and David3 like this.

Last edited by Thalassa4; 03-19-2016 at 02:26 AM.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#12 Old 03-19-2016, 05:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
Do you know your BMR? You should track your calories to effective weight loss.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
herolium is offline  
#13 Old 03-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Spudulika's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
Freelee is toxic, not only because she recommended this absurd restrictive diet, but because she tends to subtly body shame, it's obvious from photos of her showing off her hip bones, or how she will turn to the side and nearly disappear. The way she presents herself to me suggests thinspo pro-Ana vanity. ..there's really an emphasis on her objectifying herself in order to sell the diet. Not like look at me I'm healthy, but taking it a step further into look at how thin I am.

I'm only saying this because you're saying not everyone can get as thin as Freelee...I'm not entirely sure Freelee should be as thin as Freelee.

In fact after very short reading, her diet seems to be some psychotic blend of binge disorder and anorexia - eating 50 bananas in one sitting? Sounds like bulimia. Losing her period because of lack of body fat, and claiming it's good for her? Sounds like anorexia.

Yeah no. NO.
I tend to agree. Of course I don't know Freelee, but taking from what I've heard her say about herself, it sounds to this layman like she's found a way to maintain her eating disordered behaviour as well as her negative beliefs about body size, by binging on very large volumes of food in one sitting while simultaneously being able to remain very thin (underweight in fact, if she's losing her period). I've seen her display her distended stomach after eating a huge quantity of food (I think it was something like 3000 calories worth of pasta). I like substantial hearty meals, but that feels extreme to me and I wouldn't enjoy it at all.
Thalassa4 likes this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 03-19-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Spudulika is offline  
#14 Old 03-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Veggie Recycler
 
Thalassa4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
I tend to agree. Of course I don't know Freelee, but taking from what I've heard her say about herself, it sounds to this layman like she's found a way to maintain her eating disordered behaviour as well as her negative beliefs about body size, by binging on very large volumes of food in one sitting while simultaneously being able to remain very thin (underweight in fact, if she's losing her period). I've seen her display her distended stomach after eating a huge quantity of food (I think it was something like 3000 calories worth of pasta). I like substantial hearty meals, but that feels extreme to me and I wouldn't enjoy it at all.
Of course I don't know her personally, but I don't think that's necessary in the assessment of someone who binges on fruit and says losing her period was just her body's way of balancing itself out. It's not that I judge her for having an eating disorder - I'm just kind of sickened about how it's twisted this trendy perception of veganism into being about juice fasts or mono food diets, with women in particular stressing over body image, or people turning against real science about vegetarians or even organic food, because the face of veganism on YouTube has become a disordered eating fruititarian who says meat eaters should die.

It's sad because I actually agree with her on the environmental impact and on the general sentiment of leading people towards a vegan diet, but her extremist personal narrative is backfiring.
Thalassa4 is offline  
#15 Old 03-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
 
Rhys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 836
Been vegan for roughly a decade. Psychiatric meds that are necessary for me to take for mental health issues have caused me to gain weight despite being very active (yoga, running, martial arts) and eating mostly healthy, whole food meals. I'm also getting older (turning 30 this year). My hips have widened significantly, I feel my metabolism has slowed a bit. I feel like I need to starve myself to lose any weight and I'm not willing to do that. As long as I'm as healthy as I'm able to be, I do not mind being a little bit heavier. But I definitely understand your struggles. I am 5'5" and I've been staying at around 140-150 lbs.

It's my personal opinion that BMI is pretty useless. There are professional and olympic athletes whose BMI places them in the "obese" category. However, they are quite healthy. Being heavier does not automatically mean that you can't be healthy. I'm all for body positivity and focusing on personal health and happiness rather than weight.
Windigo likes this.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
Rhys is offline  
#16 Old 03-24-2016, 08:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: London
Posts: 12
If you want to up your metabolism you need more muscle, start doing strength exercises, even better get some weights in. When your metabolism goes up you can eat more, plus you look better because you're changing the shape of your body, your weight might not change but the way you look will. I'm not a fan of cardio, I just don't enjoy it, I do at home workouts with bodyweight and dumbbells and I climb regular.
More importantly be happy and healthy. I know I won't ever have abs because I like to eat cake and chocolate occasionally and I gladly sacrifice abs for them ^_^
Marie86 is offline  
#17 Old 03-24-2016, 12:42 PM
vegan since Sept. 2014
 
plnteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 79
I think eating a healthy vegan diet will help you achieve the weight your body wants to obtain. I weigh 114 pounds and I'm 5' 5", I'm thin but my body stays at this weight without too much fluctuation(within 6 oz.). My family are small boned light people so it's partly genetics. I think if a person eats healthy and when hungry and stops when full you will maintain a healthy weight for you. Everyone is so different, what is healthy for one person isn't for the next. And the scale number isn't as important as how you look and feel. I have a co-worker who weighs 205 lbs and he eats healthy, lifts weight, etc. He went for a physical and all the blood work came back perfect but the doctor says he needs to lose 50 pounds that at 5' 10" he should weigh 155-165 pounds. The doctor is just looking at the scale. This man has a lot of muscle, he looks physically fit. He told me that when he weight 180 pounds he looked too thin. Moral is don't just look at the number on a scale or another person weight.

Became a vegan on September 2014, best decision ever!
I know humans consider it a grave insult to be called an animal. Well, I would never give a human the fine distinction of being called an animal, because an animal may kill to live but an animal never lives to kill. Humans have to earn the right to be called animals again.”
― David Duchovny, Holy Cow
plnteater is offline  
#18 Old 03-25-2016, 07:16 AM
The prowling wolf
 
Windigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amersfoort, Nederland
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
Been vegan for roughly a decade. Psychiatric meds that are necessary for me to take for mental health issues have caused me to gain weight despite being very active (yoga, running, martial arts) and eating mostly healthy, whole food meals. I'm also getting older (turning 30 this year). My hips have widened significantly, I feel my metabolism has slowed a bit. I feel like I need to starve myself to lose any weight and I'm not willing to do that. As long as I'm as healthy as I'm able to be, I do not mind being a little bit heavier. But I definitely understand your struggles. I am 5'5" and I've been staying at around 140-150 lbs.

It's my personal opinion that BMI is pretty useless. There are professional and olympic athletes whose BMI places them in the "obese" category. However, they are quite healthy. Being heavier does not automatically mean that you can't be healthy. I'm all for body positivity and focusing on personal health and happiness rather than weight.
Likewise; I am vegan. But I am on prednisone for more than a year and no matter how healthy you eat prednisone is going to show on you; especially when you're a woman and already have PCOS (which leads to easy weight gain).

I once got asked in a vegan gathering if I was true to the diet because vegans can't be fat.. I thought that was a really awful thing to say and I called them out on the above. But it seems a common sentiment. Not too long ago I read a book on veganism saying that when the author saw a fat person he thought ''that must have been many animals''

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
Windigo is offline  
#19 Old 03-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by plnteater View Post
I think eating a healthy vegan diet will help you achieve the weight your body wants to obtain. I weigh 114 pounds and I'm 5' 5", I'm thin but my body stays at this weight without too much fluctuation(within 6 oz.). My family are small boned light people so it's partly genetics. I think if a person eats healthy and when hungry and stops when full you will maintain a healthy weight for you. Everyone is so different, what is healthy for one person isn't for the next. And the scale number isn't as important as how you look and feel. I have a co-worker who weighs 205 lbs and he eats healthy, lifts weight, etc. He went for a physical and all the blood work came back perfect but the doctor says he needs to lose 50 pounds that at 5' 10" he should weigh 155-165 pounds. The doctor is just looking at the scale. This man has a lot of muscle, he looks physically fit. He told me that when he weight 180 pounds he looked too thin. Moral is don't just look at the number on a scale or another person weight.
Within 6 ounces?!?
Naturebound and David3 like this.
LedBoots is offline  
#20 Old 04-17-2016, 07:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 26
When I became vegan, I gained weight. Mostly because I was suffering from an eating disorder, would live off of egg whites and was scared of bananas due to the carb factor. But no, not all vegans will lose weight. Every "body" is different and it also depends on how you ate before you became vegan. Vegans have a lot of carbs in their diet which is important or energy and brian function and tbh, when I see VERY skinny vegans, I kinda think about why exactly they are so skinny. Some are naturally thin but others...are not.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
lockie is offline  
#21 Old 04-18-2016, 12:43 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunicRigel View Post
Hi all! So, I have a question and this probably isn't the first time this come up but I see on YouTube a lot of super skinny vegans that eat a lot of raw meals or women like Freelee that do the high carb thing and I've found that just doesn't work for me.

I'm a month or two from 30 and I live in the Midwest so I find it's a lot more difficult to get my hands on cheaper fresh produce when it's freezing for months on end. My body also tends to pack on some pounds.

Now I'm by no means overweight. I walk. I stay active. I run when I can between school studies and work. But I'm definitely not RAIL thin. Does anyone else have issues with this? I feel like even though I eat pretty healthy (for the most part) my metabolism just isn't there.

I think it's important to eat things like carbs but talk about ballooning! I guess this is kind of random (I'm a bit sleepy) but ... thoughts?! Does being vegan mean you'll drop tons of weight. Is anyone else self-conscious about this?
First, I want to say that I completely understand whare you are coming from. For years I would look at a certain person that I looked up to and wondered why I wasn't as happy, successful, fit or as beautiful as they were. That maybe if I changed something in myself that I could be just like them and that would make me happy.

The thing is that by comparing myself to others I was setting myself up for unrealistic expectations. I also wasn't seeing the full picture because often when it comes to the media and social media we always put forward our best selves but that doesn't represent us as a whole.

The world is made up of all shapes, sizes, and body types. It sounds like you live a healthy life and you feel pretty healthy but are feeling that to be vegan you have to look a "certain" way. All of us have a natural shape, a body type and that may be thin or it may be curvy or maybe muscular. Each one is beautiful in it's own way, just as you are!

My advice is to stop worrying what these other vegans look like and focus on your health and how you feel. You my dear are beautiful just the way you are
LedBoots likes this.

Live it, love it, own it!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jennb is offline  
#22 Old 04-18-2016, 12:48 PM
The Corpulent Vegan
 
Aliakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunicRigel View Post
Hi all! So, I have a question and this probably isn't the first time this come up but I see on YouTube a lot of super skinny vegans that eat a lot of raw meals or women like Freelee that do the high carb thing and I've found that just doesn't work for me.

I'm a month or two from 30 and I live in the Midwest so I find it's a lot more difficult to get my hands on cheaper fresh produce when it's freezing for months on end. My body also tends to pack on some pounds.

Now I'm by no means overweight. I walk. I stay active. I run when I can between school studies and work. But I'm definitely not RAIL thin. Does anyone else have issues with this? I feel like even though I eat pretty healthy (for the most part) my metabolism just isn't there.

I think it's important to eat things like carbs but talk about ballooning! I guess this is kind of random (I'm a bit sleepy) but ... thoughts?! Does being vegan mean you'll drop tons of weight. Is anyone else self-conscious about this?
Being vegan certainly doesn't guarantee weight loss, it's a lifestyle not a diet. I have a whole blog on this topic - a lot of people see overweight vegans as somehow "less vegan" or think they "cheat" and eat animal products because they don't lose weight. Most vegans aren't raw and I've seen more normal size vegans than rail thin ones at events like VegFest in my area.

If you lose weight and that's what you want then good for you! If you don't and you didn't want to? It means you're following your hunger/satiety signals and doing a good job with natural energy balance with your diet, which is good. Metabolism is a combination of genetics and activity anyway, and there are a TON of different health factors that affect it, diet just being one of them.

Don't worry about it too much.
Tues likes this.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aliakai is offline  
#23 Old 04-19-2016, 12:55 PM
vegan since Sept. 2014
 
plnteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 79
Everyone's body is different, some people are more naturally thin. I'm 5' 5" and weight 114 pounds and I'm over 40, I eat healthy and an abundant amount of food. I remember as a child my mom brought me to the doctors for a physical because she felt I was too thin and he said "she's just naturally thin" I have a twin sister and we are both the same, she is not vegan but has trouble keeping weight on. Don't measure yourself by other vegans, you are you. We are all different and that is fantastic. Being vegan; as the poster above says, doesn't automatically guarantee thinness, as eating animal doesn't necessarily mean you will be fat.

Became a vegan on September 2014, best decision ever!
I know humans consider it a grave insult to be called an animal. Well, I would never give a human the fine distinction of being called an animal, because an animal may kill to live but an animal never lives to kill. Humans have to earn the right to be called animals again.”
― David Duchovny, Holy Cow
plnteater is offline  
#24 Old 04-19-2016, 12:58 PM
Newbie
 
Mimosatree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 37
Also consider your sweet intake. I don't know if you have a sweet tooth or not but if you do you might want to limit it. Even if it is natural sugar it is still sugar.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mimosatree is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in




Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off