Why vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By SteveW
  • 1 Post By Lyn
  • 1 Post By BobJustBob

#1 Old 03-02-2016, 03:23 AM

Why vegan?

I'm a college student and I'm researching why people make the decision to go vegan. It's just for a report, nothing official. I'm vegan myself and I started because of environmental concerns and ethical reasons (animal cruelty).
Thank you

Last edited by elihara; 03-02-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2016, 05:10 AM

Ethical reasons for me. Although I was vegetarian for many years. Once I saw footage of male chicks being ground up alive I couldn't get the image out of my head and knew I had to go vegan.

Environmental and health and any other reasons are added bonuses!
#3 Old 03-02-2016, 08:35 AM
vegan since Sept. 2014

Started for health concerns but swiftly became, and continues to be, mostly for ethical reason.

Became a vegan on September 2014, best decision ever!
I know humans consider it a grave insult to be called an animal. Well, I would never give a human the fine distinction of being called an animal, because an animal may kill to live but an animal never lives to kill. Humans have to earn the right to be called animals again.”
― David Duchovny, Holy Cow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-02-2016, 08:45 AM

I was initially vegetarian for ethical reasons, and became vegan for environmental reasons (at first). It didn't take long for me to realize the ethical implications of consuming animal products. Honey was actually one of the first things I eliminated completely for ethical reasons (I have a vegetarian friend who thinks that is crazy, but whatever).

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:

Veganism is not a sacrifice, it's a joy.
- Gary L. Francione
#5 Old 03-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Beginner

The animals.
LedBoots and SweetPotato like this.
#6 Old 03-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Veggie Recycler

- environment
- health
- factory farming/animal rights
- spiritual reasons
#7 Old 03-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Lyn

Some vegans handed me a pamphlet about about the horrors farm animals go through. I'm not a big "animal rights" person, but I found this cruelty so horrible I had to go vegan.
LedBoots likes this.
#8 Old 03-04-2016, 09:01 PM

I have a saying: "I came for the health benefits, but stayed for the compassion." Meaning, I was attracted to a whole-food, plant-based diet initially because my personal research showed that it is the optimal diet for good health. After transitioning to a vegan diet, I began to understand that I was also contributing to lessening the cruelty to animals, and this made me feel even better. Watching the documentary, Earthlings, had a big impact on me. Also, right about the time I made the transition to a vegan diet, I started a mindfulness meditation practice, and that prompted me to start researching some of the tenets of Buddhism, which also made me appreciate and start growing the compassion in my life.
LedBoots likes this.
#9 Old 03-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

The animals.

My young son decided at 10 that he was not going to eat animals anymore. He is now 23, and he, my husband and I are all vegan.
#10 Old 03-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

The animals.
#11 Old 03-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

What SWEETPOTATO said...plus:

I don't want to drink milk from artificially impregnated cows....which exploits them.

I don't want to eat eggs....which are baby chicks.

The animals that suffer for our milk, eggs, and cheese are basically tortured so we can have a tasty experience. What if the roles were reversed?

C'mon people.....this isn't that hard. Look at the "humane" video that BITE SIZE VEGAN put out. The pigs don't seem to be "enjoying" the experience.

Keep it simple.....stop eating animals.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Tags
activism , animal activism , animal cruelty , environment , veganism

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page