5Likes
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 1 Post By Auxin
  • 1 Post By BobJustBob

#1 Old 02-24-2016, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Do You Ever Overdo the Fibre?

Are there days when you accidentally almost overdose on fibre? Almost all my favourite foods have fibre in them, and there are some times when I just have way too much. I know I've had too much when I'm extremely gassy all day, and when I do pass stools they are loose and floating apart rather than sticking together.

I sometimes don't know how to avoid eating too much fibre as it seems to be in basically everything I eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2016, 05:04 PM
No flesh since 99'

Stools don't need to "stick together" as long as they aren't runny/liquidy (fun topic huh?). Gas and floating stool indicates you aren't digesting it well though.

I can eat copious amounts of fiber without side effects. The people around me watch what I eat and wonder how I'm not glued to the toilet lol. It did take a pretty unpleasant adjustment period when I first went raw for my body to adjust to a high fiber diet.

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
#3 Old 02-24-2016, 05:04 PM
Vegan since 1991

Just be sure to drink plenty of water to keep the ol' bowels moving.

I love being gassy - I feel like my colon is unstoppable!

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-24-2016, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
Stools don't need to "stick together" as long as they aren't runny/liquidy (fun topic huh?). Gas and floating stool indicates you aren't digesting it well though.

I can eat copious amounts of fiber without side effects. The people around me watch what I eat and wonder how I'm not glued to the toilet lol. It did take a pretty unpleasant adjustment period when I first went raw for my body to adjust to a high fiber diet.
I read on certain health websites that it's not a good sign when it doesn't stick together as it means that the food is moving through the digestive tract too quickly. It would totally ease my mind though if what you are saying is true, do you have any links saying that loose stools are okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Just be sure to drink plenty of water to keep the ol' bowels moving.

I love being gassy - I feel like my colon is unstoppable!
I drink so much water, I swear I'm constantly thirsty.
#5 Old 02-24-2016, 05:51 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

I started having this problem regularly when I switch from white rice to brown. Rice takes a big part of my diet. So that with fiber filled veggies and bean with a little bit of fruit started to cause lots of gassiness and the same problems you mention. So I went back to using white rice to even things out.
#6 Old 02-24-2016, 05:58 PM
No flesh since 99'

Keep in mind most medical professionals rarely encounter and have never done many, if any "peer reviewed" studies on the stools of vegans on a high fiber, high moisture diet without the presence of "week old" decaying flesh in their colon and make most of their recommendations off what is typical on the SAD where most people are at least slightly dehydrated. These are the same doctors who think it is "normal" and "healthy" to only go once every couple days!

From everything I have heard, it is more common for vegetarians and vegans who eat a lot of fiber (and presumably much of that fiber comes from sources ALSO moisture rich, like produce as well as the person staying well hydrated) to have looser stools than those on the SAD. I think if you surveyed vegans on a high fiber, high moisture diet, you would probably find most go 1-3X a day and have stools like #5 or 6 on this chart (and I would venture to not agree that it is a result of lack of fiber or inflammation unless there is some unknown food allergy/intolorance):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_stool_scale

Edit: This scale has been around for some time. The first website I pulled it from was also selling some diet plan (oops! Should have checked first!). Just swapped it over to the unbiased article from Wikipedia.

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 02-24-2016 at 06:08 PM.
#7 Old 02-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Vegan since 1991

Thank you everyone for not posting photographs :P
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#8 Old 02-24-2016, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
Keep in mind most medical professionals rarely encounter and have never done many, if any "peer reviewed" studies on the stools of vegans on a high fiber, high moisture diet without the presence of "week old" decaying flesh in their colon and make most of their recommendations off what is typical on the SAD where most people are at least slightly dehydrated. These are the same doctors who think it is "normal" and "healthy" to only go once every couple days!

From everything I have heard, it is more common for vegetarians and vegans who eat a lot of fiber (and presumably much of that fiber comes from sources ALSO moisture rich, like produce as well as the person staying well hydrated) to have looser stools than those on the SAD. I think if you surveyed vegans on a high fiber, high moisture diet, you would probably find most go 1-3X a day and have stools like #5 or 6 on this chart:

Mine definitely range between 4, 5 and 6 on that chart. It's when I get 6 that it makes me worry. The article says it's borderline normal. It's only happened a few times but I just get concerned when it does, and it always happens on days when I eat A LOT of fibre.
#9 Old 02-24-2016, 06:12 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
Mine definitely range between 4, 5 and 6 on that chart. It's when I get 6 that it makes me worry. The article says it's borderline normal. It's only happened a few times but I just get concerned when it does, and it always happens on days when I eat A LOT of fibre.
Same here. Unfortunately that link was trying to sell some diet (didn't notice it before I posted lol), so I edited my post (Wikipedia and the mainstream medical community feel very differently than the guy selling his weird fiber is the devil diet). But I would say most vegans are between 4-6 regardless of what kind of vegan diet they consume, and those of us who eat a lot of high fiber, high moisture foods are probably closer to 5 or 6.

#10 Old 02-24-2016, 06:31 PM
No flesh since 99'

Also want to add as someone who has had miserable GI issues in the past, there is a very big difference between a loose stool due to improper digestion and inflammation (which will often come with painful gas, smell bad, cause sudden urgent urges, and are hard to wipe) and looser stools which are easy to pass, have little to no smell, not much or any gas and you don't need to wipe a lot afterwards and those are because you are properly hydrated and have eaten high fiber, high carb, easy to digest foods that are digested and excreted easy and properly.
David3 likes this.

#11 Old 02-24-2016, 07:10 PM
Oryzatarian

Keep in mind that mainstream medical descriptions of 'desirable' stool consistency is specifically in reference to people consuming the typical fiber intake of western foodways, ie. they are saying if you consume 12 grams of fiber in a day and your stools are very soft there may be something abnormal.
I've never seen a legitimate health authority even attempt to define a safe upper limit to fiber intake. All the research done just says more is better. It doesnt matter if theyre talking 20 grams instead of 15 or 120 instead of 20, all evidence says more is better.
There are obviously limits when it comes to consistency, type 7 on that bristol chart would probably always be indicative of some problem unless you just went totally insane with gumbo or something (I managed that once )
Probably the only good reason to have them as solid chunks is if you were intending to throw them at someone- otherwise why would it matter?
(Dont try that at home, kids)
Crouton likes this.
#12 Old 02-25-2016, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think I've ever considered this as an issue. At a guess I would say my fibre intake is pretty high compared to the standard diet as I eat a lot of wholegrains, wholegrain products (pasta, bread), pulses / legumes and huge portions of vegetables. I almost never eat 'white' food (unless it's tofu) because I don't like it. Sometimes I eat frozen chips or some processed veggie thing from the supermarket freezer, but not terribly often. I also drink at least 2 litres of filtered water a day. I guess I go from 4, 5 to 6 on the scale, but I just don't think about it. Never feel bloated, constipated or uncomfortable at all.
#13 Old 02-25-2016, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Yup 4-6. AFAIK this is not a problem.
#14 Old 02-28-2016, 09:41 AM

Hehe...you know you are on a veg*n discussion forum when you find a thoughtful, health-oriented discussion thread about fiber and stools!

Fiber is one of the key factors why a veg*n diet is so healthy. I was fascinated to learn the history of the "discovery" of the importance of fiber in human health. Here is supposedly the only video of Dr. Denis Burkitt, the physician and medical scientist who made this discovery. This interview was conducted by Dr. John McDougall:
. Also, here is the Wikipedia entry for Dr. Burkitt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Parsons_Burkitt .

Scientist are only now starting to piece together the fine details of how fiber keeps us healthy. The March 2015 issue of Scientific American had a special section covering the recent advances in understating how the microbes living on and within us influence our health. Within this special section is a multi-page article beginning on page 58 entitled, "The Importance of Fiber." There is an extremely informative graphic on page 59 illustrating how the complex "system" in the large intestine works. Individuals who eat a diet high in fiber (read, veg*ns) have a thick mucus layer between the lining of the intestine and the food flowing through it. This mucus layer is colonized by beneficial bacteria which "specialize in fermenting the soluble fiber in legumes, grains, fruits and vegetables." "The by-products of fiber fermentation nourish cells lining the colon. Some by-products pass into the circulation and may calibrate our immune system in a way that prevents inflammatory disorders such as asthma and Crohn's disease."

I note that there are a number of testimonials on Dr. McDougall's Web site in which converts to Dr. McDougall's starch-centric, whole-food, plant-based diet state that the diet cured them of Crohn's disease.

Getting back to Crouton's original question: I don't know if there can be a situation in which one is eating too much fiber. I eat a huge salad (typically one pound) including a cup of beans at lunch six days a week, and I almost never experience gas. I assume the bacteria making up my gut microbiome are extremely efficient at digesting all the fiber I consume. As long as I drink enough water, my stools are usually Type 4 on the Bristol scale.

If Crouton is a recent convert to a veg*n diet, he may find his problems with fiber decrease over time as the population of gut bacteria in his colon is converted more and more to the beneficial species which specialize in digesting fiber. This is what I observed in my own life.
Crouton likes this.
#15 Old 02-28-2016, 01:45 PM

I try to balance the amount of fibers with carbs. If you have a high amount of carbs it won't get that irregular. The main issue I would say is checking the bathroom 2 or 3 times a day, I think that is too much.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page