• 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By SteveW
  • 1 Post By PandemicAcolyte
  • 1 Post By Tom

#1 Old 02-23-2016, 04:36 AM

Which supplements do you all take?

Hi there,

I was just wondering what supplements you guys take.

I'm slowly transitioning from vegetarian to vegan. I'm going to order some vitamin b12 tablets. I'm also currently taking a vitamin d3 tablet and a standard multivitamin table too.

Would you say a multivitamin tablet is necessary? I'm also considering getting some omega 3 EPA tablets too. My optician told me a few months ago that my eyes are indicating an omega 3 deficiency. Do you guys take omega 3 tablets?

The reason I take a vitamin d3 tablet is mainly because I live in the north of England where we don't get a lot of sunshine, especially in the winter months and my genetic make up means I am more predisposed to struggling with vitamin d levels as it is.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-23-2016, 05:29 AM
an irregular

I only take a Deva multivitamin once a day in the morning. I don't know if it really does anything but I figure it could be cheap insurance for the days I don't eat as well, or as much, as some other days and if I had to say something, I guess I have a little more energy through out the day, but that could very much just be my imagination. I haven't had any blood work done since I started taking them, but prior to taking them, my numbers were where they should be for someone my size and age.

I think Amazon has them for something like $15 USD for 90 tablets/ 3 month supply.
http://www.devanutrition.com/vegan-m...n-mineral.html

instagram: Popcorncaptain
#3 Old 02-23-2016, 07:25 AM
vegan since Sept. 2014

B-12 and Vit D...that's it.

Became a vegan on September 2014, best decision ever!
I know humans consider it a grave insult to be called an animal. Well, I would never give a human the fine distinction of being called an animal, because an animal may kill to live but an animal never lives to kill. Humans have to earn the right to be called animals again.”
― David Duchovny, Holy Cow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-23-2016, 07:59 AM
Vegan since 1991

I take B12 and vegan D3

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 02-23-2016, 09:56 AM
No flesh since 99'

I take B12 a couple times a week and D3 in the winter. I live in Oregon (which is cloudy and rainy all winter long) and have conceded to the fact I simply cannot get enough natural sun in the winter (not that I go out tanning in the summer or anything, just have normal everyday exposure to the sun when I'm out running errands or take a walk ext...).

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
#6 Old 02-23-2016, 04:46 PM
Veggie Recycler

I have a sublingual B12 I take a couple times a week, because I usually have fortified plant milk or nutritional yeast as well. If I consume alcohol, I make sure to follow it up with B12.

I have some calcium with D I mainly intend to take around times of menstruation, which is when I'm susceptible to cheese cravings, because again I drink fortified milk, eat broccoli and kale, and have black strap molasses for calcium (as well as iron).

I consider cold flax oil a supplement only because I'm learning to incorporate it into my diet on salad or noodles or veggies after cooking (you can't cook with it, you risk losing nutrition). But I don't actually take it in pill form.

I think even if you are a junk food vegan or super paranoid, taking a good multivitamin w/B12 and flax oil pills would protect you from deficiencies.
#7 Old 02-23-2016, 04:49 PM
Veggie Recycler

BTW, natural sources of Omega 3 are walnuts, flax seeds, and hemp foods.

Products like original Vegenaise and Gardein Fishless Filet contain Omega 3. I also get a pasta sauce that's fortified, but I don't remember the name of it - it's vegan and has Omega 3/DHA. There's also a Silk brand soy milk which adds it.
#8 Old 02-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I take a B12 sublingual drops several times per week. I also take a vegan version of D3 (liquid drops) and calcium/magnesium/zinc tablets. The only reason I take the calcium supplement is due to a medical condition involving osteoporosis. I still try to get it in my diet daily as well. I used to take a vegan DHA from Deva brand but I haven't taken that for a very long time and have not had any trouble. My body does not like multi vitamins, or anything in pill form lol. I try to take stuff in liquids or powders or mix in food to help with absorption.
David3 likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 02-24-2016, 05:30 AM

Actually I don't take any supplement until I am advised by a doctor. I have taken some b-12 capsules but that was quite long back.
#10 Old 02-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
BTW, natural sources of Omega 3 are walnuts, flax seeds, and hemp foods.

Products like original Vegenaise and Gardein Fishless Filet contain Omega 3. I also get a pasta sauce that's fortified, but I don't remember the name of it - it's vegan and has Omega 3/DHA. There's also a Silk brand soy milk which adds it.
Francesco Rinaldi!

and...Silk Heart Healthy

both with omega DHA from algae!
Tom, David3 and Thalassa4 like this.
#11 Old 02-24-2016, 10:18 AM
Beginner

b12 every few days.
David3 likes this.
#12 Old 02-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

B12. And sometimes zinc fi I didn't eat enough that day. I'm a guy so I need to watch my zinc levels.

I started recently taking vega one nutritional shakes each day as an experiment. It's like a multivitamin made of ground up greens, fruits, nuts, grains etc. It helps when I don't eat as well as I could.
David3 likes this.
#13 Old 02-24-2016, 03:06 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

B-12 every few days- I sometimes forget, but ideally, I take a bit each day. 400 units(?) of vitamin D in the winter, when I'm not getting sun exposure, and sometimes calcium (only 150-300 milligrams) every other day, if I haven't been eating calcium-rich foods like collards, kale, etc that day or the day before.
David3 likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#14 Old 02-26-2016, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
I take B12 a couple times a week and D3 in the winter. I live in Oregon (which is cloudy and rainy all winter long) and have conceded to the fact I simply cannot get enough natural sun in the winter (not that I go out tanning in the summer or anything, just have normal everyday exposure to the sun when I'm out running errands or take a walk ext...).
Yeah that winter weather sounds awfully familiar. How is Oregon? Where abouts in Oregon do you live? I hear that Portland is a really cool place to live.
#15 Old 02-26-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I take a B12 sublingual drops several times per week. I also take a vegan version of D3 (liquid drops) and calcium/magnesium/zinc tablets. The only reason I take the calcium supplement is due to a medical condition involving osteoporosis. I still try to get it in my diet daily as well. I used to take a vegan DHA from Deva brand but I haven't taken that for a very long time and have not had any trouble. My body does not like multi vitamins, or anything in pill form lol. I try to take stuff in liquids or powders or mix in food to help with absorption.
Thanks for your reply. Do you have your calcium, magnesium and zinc tablets daily?
#16 Old 02-26-2016, 04:41 AM

Thanks very much for the replies everyone. Very helpful!
#17 Old 02-27-2016, 06:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_b2015 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Do you have your calcium, magnesium and zinc tablets daily?
Yes, I take it daily, but honestly i am having trouble with it because it causes such uncomfortable bloat. My abdomen is nearly flat when I don't take it. I look six months pregnant when I do. I was taking 3 tablets a day which is 1000 mg calcium total in divided doses, and something like 400 mg magnesium total (also in divided doses). Don't know the zinc content offhand. I started cutting down to 2 per day and now one, and trying harder to get the rest of my calcium met through food/drink. Right now I am drinking at least 2 cups plant milk per day and incorporating stuff like blackstrap molasses, figs, leafy greens, almonds, etc every day. At least two to three servings of one of those. This last few days (I am on the go typing this in a hotel on vacation) its been plant milk and figs, and a cliff bar each day (while out snowshoeing) which has 20% calcium in itself.

I HAVE to make sure I have at LEAST the equivalent of 1000 mg of calcium daily as I am on a prescribed shot for osteoporosis that pulls calcium from the blood and puts it in the bone. I risk hypocalcemia if I don't get enough. I take a separate vegan D3 (Nordic Naturals) liquid, 1000 IU daily. Pills are a real struggle for me. My body does not metabolize them correctly. I can't find a decent liquid calcium supplement that is vegan and has the right ratio of ingredients. I can't have too much magnesium in a supplement because 1. I get it in my diet and 2. it makes me go number two a lot. I have also tried mixing calcium powder (have used NOW brand) into food but the bloat and discomfort still happen. My body doesn't have an issue with most food thankfully. It's still a battle for me though to consume enough calories each day to meet calcium needs because I battle an eating disorder though on a much more mild level than for a long time. Some days I do well, others I fall short by a little, especially because I am very active with exercise. It's a work in progress. It was recommended because I am in surgical menopause that I consume at least 1500 mg calcium per day instead of 1000 mg but that is a REAL struggle for me right now. Lack of hormones like estradiol and testosterone (women make this hormone in their ovaries) make it harder to get calcium out of the blood and into the bones for me too because I have no ovaries. I do take a hormone replacement though. Lack of body fat has the same effect, making it difficult for calcium to get into the bones. If you don't have any of those issues you are probably in much better shape than I am.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page