BBQ pulled 'pork' sandwiches - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Spudulika
  • 1 Post By Spudulika
  • 2 Post By Spudulika
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 02-09-2016, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Spudulika's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,098
BBQ pulled 'pork' sandwiches

I've never had these but I understand they are a thing in the States. Since I discovered I can easily source Hearts of Palm, which shred up nicely, I want to explore what to do with them and pulled pork sandwiches came up when I had a Google and they look pretty good...

Just one question, what should I serve them with?

I think coleslaw (and maybe caramelised onions?) in the bun with pickled gherkins and mustard?

What about turning it into a main meal? Corn on the cob, baked sweet potato, potato salad, chips (fries).

What do y'all* reckon?






* sorry about the "y'all", it's not normally a part of my vocab - it must be the effect of the cuisine
Purp, LedBoots and Beautiful Joe like this.
Spudulika is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 02-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,282
Sounds great!
Beautiful Joe is offline  
#3 Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,921
That does sound good! I tried bbq jackfruit, but that stuff is so weird! That was a long time ago, I've never had it again. Hearts of palm sound much better.
Fresh or canned?
silva is offline  
 
#4 Old 02-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
I've never had these but I understand they are a thing in the States. Since I discovered I can easily source Hearts of Palm, which shred up nicely, I want to explore what to do with them and pulled pork sandwiches came up when I had a Google and they look pretty good...

Just one question, what should I serve them with?

I think coleslaw (and maybe caramelised onions?) in the bun with pickled gherkins and mustard?

What about turning it into a main meal? Corn on the cob, baked sweet potato, potato salad, chips (fries).

What do y'all* reckon?






* sorry about the "y'all", it's not normally a part of my vocab - it must be the effect of the cuisine
That sounds delicious! I make a hearty slaw like this that wouid be good. (The site has a jackfruit pulled porc recipe that I have bookmarked but not tried yet.)

"AVOCADO SLAW

2 cups shredded cabbage + carrots (Trader’s has a great cruciferous veg mix)
1/2 ripe avocado
1 Tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
1 lemon or lime, juiced
Salt + Pepper to taste
(water to thin)"
http://minimalistbaker.com/bbq-jackf...-avocado-slaw/

Omg and she has salted roasted cashews on top...
LedBoots is offline  
#5 Old 02-10-2016, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Spudulika's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
That does sound good! I tried bbq jackfruit, but that stuff is so weird! That was a long time ago, I've never had it again. Hearts of palm sound much better.
Fresh or canned?
I can only get canned, but I wouldn't even know where to begin prepping them fresh anyway.
I've seen a lot of excitement about canned jackfruit in brine being a sub for 'shredded' meats (like tuna, chicken and pork) but I read this review here that suggests that hearts of palm are actually better for those things:

Taco-Off: Jackfruit Vs. Hearts of Palm Vegan Carnitas (Pulled Pork)

The author says:
Quote:
Jackfruit is the darling of the vegan community these days. Recipes everywhere. Can buy relatively inexpensively in a lot of Asian supermarkets but not in most groceries (at least where I am.) The texture and look (once they’re pulled apart) has been praised for its meatiness.
Hearts of palm is not as popular/not many recipes out there ... They are easy to obtain.
The hearts of palm won, hands down. While they started out less promising (they didn’t pull apart as well as the jackfruit and didn’t look as deeply coloured), they seemed to absorb a lot more flavour than the jackfruit. Bonus points for being more readily available than jackfruit, too!
LedBoots likes this.
Spudulika is offline  
#6 Old 02-10-2016, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Spudulika's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
That sounds delicious! I make a hearty slaw like this that wouid be good. (The site has a jackfruit pulled porc recipe that I have bookmarked but not tried yet.)

"AVOCADO SLAW

2 cups shredded cabbage + carrots (Trader’s has a great cruciferous veg mix)
1/2 ripe avocado
1 Tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
1 lemon or lime, juiced
Salt + Pepper to taste
(water to thin)"
http://minimalistbaker.com/bbq-jackf...-avocado-slaw/

Omg and she has salted roasted cashews on top...
Ooh, that slaw looks good! I've got to start using avocado for creamy things. Must be an excellent alternative to mayo.
Purp and LedBoots like this.
Spudulika is offline  
#7 Old 02-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,779
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
I've never had these but I understand they are a thing in the States. Since I discovered I can easily source Hearts of Palm, which shred up nicely, I want to explore what to do with them and pulled pork sandwiches came up when I had a Google and they look pretty good...

Just one question, what should I serve them with?

I think coleslaw (and maybe caramelised onions?) in the bun with pickled gherkins and mustard?

What about turning it into a main meal? Corn on the cob, baked sweet potato, potato salad, chips (fries).

What do y'all* reckon?






* sorry about the "y'all", it's not normally a part of my vocab - it must be the effect of the cuisine
Oh, you beautiful human being. Thank you for the idea. Hearts of palm, here I come...Hehehehehe.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off