• 1 Post By Peaceful Waterfall
  • 1 Post By Lymo
  • 1 Post By veg1973
  • 1 Post By cherries
  • 2 Post By veg1973

#1 Old 02-07-2016, 06:34 AM
JUSTICE FOR ANIMALS

Why

Why is the vegan population so small? Why are so few people hearing and responding positively to the vegan message?
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-07-2016, 07:13 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necter View Post
Why is the vegan population so small? Why are so few people hearing and responding positively to the vegan message?
I know it seems slow, but progress is being made. When I went vegan some 11 years ago, I had never met or talked to a vegan. Now there are cookbooks, blogs, forums, ex-presidents and movie stars eating vegan, meatless Monday is a thing, films like Forks Over Knives and Cowspiracy....

Keep in mind that no one can force or convince anyone else to be vegan. Society thrives on the backs of tortured, innocent creatures, and it is so ingrained that most people will always be blind to the truth. Keep positive thoughts, eat well, and be a good example to those in your life. You may be the only vegan they have ever met.
#3 Old 02-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Necter,

I've seen incredible progress in the last 25 years that I've been vegan.

In 1991, when I became vegan, I had to go to a tiny health food store to buy cruelty-free products, or to buy soy milk. Now, even the huge American stores (like Costco and Walmart) carry these products.

There used to be only a few scattered vegetarian / vegan restaurants, but now there are veg restaurant chains.

In 1991, the general public didn't know what "vegan" meant. But now, the other day, I heard a woman order a "vegan bean burrito" at my local Taco Bell restaurant (a fast food chain), and the counter lady didn't bat an eye.

At one time, the medical community was skeptical of veg diets. Now, although some individual physicians remain skeptical, all mainstream American health organizations state that properly-planned veg diets are healthy.

We've come a looong way, and it hasn't taken that long, really.

The best thing a vegan can do is be healthy, happy, and likeable. If others like you, they may want to be more like you. They might not even tell you they are becoming vegan (people are too proud to admit these things).

The worst thing a vegan can do is be pushy - that will immediately drive people away.
Purp, LedBoots, cherries and 5 others like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 02-07-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Beginner

Necter, maybe the people that surround you are not reacting like you think they should, but in my experience, it is exploding compared to years ago. Our grocery store opened a section of meat and dairy free products and it seems to be very successful. Flyers from a local pizza place and a taco place just started advertising that they serve vegan food. Why would they advertise it to people if it wasn't popular? My work orders both meat and veggie versions of dishes for workshops because so many people are cutting down or have eliminated meat. And since I've transitioned to vegan 2 months ago, 3 other adults (and of course, the kids) have drastically changed their eating habits...not enough for the vegan label, but it is still a drastic change.

There's an article I found just now that shows my area is not an anomaly: http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Mar...-data-suggests

I am pleasantly surprised by the changes I see around me. Like you, I don't see a ton of vegan labels yet; however, I see plenty of interest, which eventually will lead to a larger vegan population. As LedBoots said, all you can do is stay positive and be a good example for those around you. Don't worry, change is happening
Purp, LedBoots, Spudulika and 3 others like this.
#5 Old 02-07-2016, 03:37 PM

As I see now society is catching up with health standards today. Ive noticed a lot more organic and non GMO products around grocery stores and its a lot better for us too. Ive went to a local a food lion and there a whole little section called 'Nature's place', full of vegan, vegetarian, organic, and non GMO products.

This is great and it helps a lot but the norm for people is to eat meat and sometimes with little to no options in grocery stores and resturants it wouldn't help much. The community is growing weather slightly still is growing and thats what we need . Though I still hate that theres exactly no vegan options at public schools .-.
Purp and Jenn2 like this.
#6 Old 02-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I have an opposite view of the OP, I'm amazed by how many people are vegan, it's wonderful. My cities "World Vegan Day" festival last year was so packed you can hardly move, and there are so many vegan restaurants and stores with more opening up each day. Obviously it changes on where you live, but even the little supermarkets in my small hometown have started selling more vegan products.
#7 Old 02-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Was looking for a video, but this is news (good!) to me- check it out!

http://latestvegannews.com/
Purp and Vegan Dave like this.
#8 Old 02-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

#9 Old 02-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

A lot of people think that a vegan diet will cost a lot of money. You know, fancy organic exotic foods....

I ordered a book, and a suggested companion book was EAT VEGAN ON $4 A DAY. I ordered it, and it's unreal. The money you can save on a vegan diet is unbelievable. I learned a lot from this book.

Right off, the author states how cheap fast food is. Then a comparison is made to vegan food, and it's not even close. Vegan food comes in a lot cheaper!!!!

The problem is that most people see fast food as inexpensive....and go for it for the convenience. It's supposed to be cheap, fast, and easy.

The author explains how "fast, easy and cheap" it is to eat vegan.....and it's true. If the general population knew how cheap vegan food was, and they could see through the massive ad campaigns from the fast food chains.....more people would be vegan.

For now, every little bit helps!

Name:  51kSEgh4WYL._SX428_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  53.4 KB

Silva,

FABULOUS VIDEO!!!!!!!

Quiteinspiring, and very informative!!!!I am stoked after watching it. Thanks for the link!!!!!
Thalassa4 and skinnieminnie like this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Last edited by Vegan Dave; 02-09-2016 at 04:45 PM.
#10 Old 02-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

I really see it the same way as people who believe abortion is murder and should be against the law Others feel it's all about a womens body and not another life. The bottom line is what can be done to eliminate the numbers while keeping it legal with the goal of as few as possible
Purp likes this.
#11 Old 02-13-2016, 01:21 AM
Veggie Recycler

Well, because people are largely zombies these days. Honestly, I really admire older people who have been vegan for decades, but I think their "don't be pushy" approach is outdated. Or at best a matter of opinion.

I say this because people are asleep at the wheel. They believe things they read in blogs or see on TV without comparitive reading or fact checking. Their heads are filled with dumb reality shows, corporate commercials, and video games on top of the natural human tendency towards confirmation bias, or fear of change.

The song "I'm Afraid of Americans" by David Bowie comes to mind. I've encountered absolutely shocking lemming behavior on the Internet, stuff that taught me exactly how easy it was for Hitler to come into power. No joke, no Godwins law, I mean honest to heaven, I understand what the problem is with people now. I have no illusions.

They need to be woken up. Mostly for environmental reasons, in my view. This is no longer just about personal ethics about animals, this is about continuing life on this planet.

BUT after saying all that, I still echo some of the people in this thread, that veganism really is spreading. It's growing and becoming more mainstream.
silva, Purp, skinnieminnie and 1 others like this.
#12 Old 02-13-2016, 03:41 PM

I can only tell you why it took so long for me to come around, but I'm sure that my experience isn't uncommon.

PETA: While not the only reason I was reluctant, PETA pushed me away with their horrible ethics, and as someone without much world experience, I associated vegans with PETA because most vegans I'd ever met before the age of 20 were PETA vegans slapping me with videos of animals being skinned alive.

Upbringing: I was a country kid. When I was five, my mom let me get a "pet" pig... which later became bacon. Of course I didn't want to eat it, but I also didn't want to disappoint my parents. We also had dairy goats and chickens. So this became normal. People don't like being told that the way they were brought up may have had fault. People don't like changing once they're set on something.

Extremism: A lot of people see being vegan as extreme. People who have never considered meat itself to be wrong certainly haven't considered byproducts to be wrong, or honey or silk to be. It's such an extreme way of thinking to someone who hasn't considered any of it before, so that turns them off to it. If introduced a little at a time, it sits easier... like first considering where just the meat comes from and the torture often involved with that, and also at extremely wasteful practices, like the roosters who are bred and killed for their feathers... and only their feathers. Once someone has started changing their way of thinking, they will be more open to veganism as a whole.
Purp and Jenn2 like this.
#13 Old 02-13-2016, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Hi Necter,

I've seen incredible progress in the last 25 years that I've been vegan.

In 1991, when I became vegan, I had to go to a tiny health food store to buy cruelty-free products, or to buy soy milk. Now, even the huge American stores (like Costco and Walmart) carry these products.

There used to be only a few scattered vegetarian / vegan restaurants, but now there are veg restaurant chains.

In 1991, the general public didn't know what "vegan" meant. But now, the other day, I heard a woman order a "vegan bean burrito" at my local Taco Bell restaurant (a fast food chain), and the counter lady didn't bat an eye.

At one time, the medical community was skeptical of veg diets. Now, although some individual physicians remain skeptical, all mainstream American health organizations state that properly-planned veg diets are healthy.

We've come a looong way, and it hasn't taken that long, really.

The best thing a vegan can do is be healthy, happy, and likeable. If others like you, they may want to be more like you. They might not even tell you they are becoming vegan (people are too proud to admit these things).

The worst thing a vegan can do is be pushy - that will immediately drive people away.
I can't begin to tell you how much I wish I'd known you in 1991, before the internet and veggieboards...Being vegan now is (relatively) easy...Being vegan before the internet, and The Mad Cowboy, Isa Moskowitz, Daiya cheese, hemp milk in the "normal" grocery store, Rice Dream Ice cream...You get the idea. I, sir, am impressed.
LedBoots, skinnieminnie and Jenn2 like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#14 Old 02-13-2016, 10:09 PM
Back to Veg

The biggest "hold back" for veganism is, IMO, the low carb and paleo craze. There are still people who look at me like I am a martian when I say that I think whole grains are healthy! I also think that the availability of "ethically raised" meat, dairy and eggs is also part of the reason. Nearly all of my friends who are highly ethical, thoughtful people buy all their meat/cheese/eggs from cooperatives or farm fresh markets, direct to consumer from the farmer. I think this is a massive improvement over the factory farming system, but for me, I don't want anything to die so that I may live. It took me awhile to decide this, as I also was buying animal products directly from farmers, but I've decided that's not extensive enough for me.

Just my .02. I don't think that being more pushy will help the vegan cause too much. Looking great, being happy, eating delicious food and telling others about your vegan lifestyle in a non-pushy/judgmental way, maybe.
Purp likes this.
#15 Old 02-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Waterfall View Post
I can only tell you why it took so long for me to come around, but I'm sure that my experience isn't uncommon.

PETA: While not the only reason I was reluctant, PETA pushed me away with their horrible ethics, and as someone without much world experience, I associated vegans with PETA because most vegans I'd ever met before the age of 20 were PETA vegans slapping me with videos of animals being skinned alive.

Upbringing: I was a country kid. When I was five, my mom let me get a "pet" pig... which later became bacon. Of course I didn't want to eat it, but I also didn't want to disappoint my parents. We also had dairy goats and chickens. So this became normal. People don't like being told that the way they were brought up may have had fault. People don't like changing once they're set on something.

Extremism: A lot of people see being vegan as extreme. People who have never considered meat itself to be wrong certainly haven't considered byproducts to be wrong, or honey or silk to be. It's such an extreme way of thinking to someone who hasn't considered any of it before, so that turns them off to it. If introduced a little at a time, it sits easier... like first considering where just the meat comes from and the torture often involved with that, and also at extremely wasteful practices, like the roosters who are bred and killed for their feathers... and only their feathers. Once someone has started changing their way of thinking, they will be more open to veganism as a whole.

Interesting - I actually became vegan in large-part thanks to PETA. Watching "Meet Your Meat" was life-changing.

I personally suspect that a lot of people who say veganism is extreme are really saying that veganism is extremely inconvenient for them to accommodate and they don't want someone around who is going to remind them of where their food comes from.

We long-term, committed vegans can do a lot, imho, to change opinions about the extremism excuse. When we are compassionate, unapologetic, self-reliant, generous, and upbeat about our way of life, it goes a long way to show the positive side of being vegan. We don't need to engage in arguments, we just need to stay true.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#16 Old 02-14-2016, 01:45 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Me too, @Poppy . Meet your Meat shown to me by my young son did the trick for me.

It is sad that PeTA is so polarizing. Mostly because the meat eaters point out things about PeTA and other animal friendly groups to drive wedges between vegetarians.

Personally, it seems a lot more extreme to eat creatures who are bred, fed, and slaughtered for people's taste than it is to just eat plants.
Poppy and Purp like this.
#17 Old 02-15-2016, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Interesting - I actually became vegan in large-part thanks to PETA. Watching "Meet Your Meat" was life-changing.

I personally suspect that a lot of people who say veganism is extreme are really saying that veganism is extremely inconvenient for them to accommodate and they don't want someone around who is going to remind them of where their food comes from.

We long-term, committed vegans can do a lot, imho, to change opinions about the extremism excuse. When we are compassionate, unapologetic, self-reliant, generous, and upbeat about our way of life, it goes a long way to show the positive side of being vegan. We don't need to engage in arguments, we just need to stay true.
For me it seemed extreme not because of convenience, but because of the huge difference from what I was used to, which was fine with me, but being told that everything you have ever known is wrong and that you need to change this second is very off-putting. Also because of some actual extremest who kind of messed up the idea of veganism for me as a teenager. I obviously don't think it's an extreme concept now, but that's the way I saw it before, and that's why it took me so long.
Purp likes this.
#18 Old 02-17-2016, 10:36 AM
Beginner

We just need to get the word out about the awesomeness Venusvegan.wordpress.com
#19 Old 02-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Beginner

Because eating animal products is quick, filling, (they think) it tastes good, it's convenient, and it's socially acceptable
Purp likes this.
#20 Old 02-21-2016, 10:50 AM
Beginner

Additionally, it's incredibly difficult to make the connection between where you're eating and where it comes from. The suffering is invisible. As Paul McCartney famously said, if slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian.
There's also evolutionary speciesism. Humans are hard-wired to view animals as less than. And since we've evolved to eat meat, the human brain sees "animal" as something to be exploited, not protected.
#21 Old 02-21-2016, 03:12 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_psychology https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_propaganda WAPF/Paleo has also become quite faddish lately: http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/0...oundation.html and there is a lot of money to be made selling raw animal milk when the public believes that soy is dangerous.
Purp likes this.
#22 Old 02-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
A lot of people think that a vegan diet will cost a lot of money. You know, fancy organic exotic foods....

I ordered a book, and a suggested companion book was EAT VEGAN ON $4 A DAY. I ordered it, and it's unreal. The money you can save on a vegan diet is unbelievable. I learned a lot from this book.

Right off, the author states how cheap fast food is. Then a comparison is made to vegan food, and it's not even close. Vegan food comes in a lot cheaper!!!!

The problem is that most people see fast food as inexpensive....and go for it for the convenience. It's supposed to be cheap, fast, and easy.

The author explains how "fast, easy and cheap" it is to eat vegan.....and it's true. If the general population knew how cheap vegan food was, and they could see through the massive ad campaigns from the fast food chains.....more people would be vegan.

For now, every little bit helps!

Attachment 13617

Silva,

FABULOUS VIDEO!!!!!!!

Quiteinspiring, and very informative!!!!I am stoked after watching it. Thanks for the link!!!!!
Have you read supermarket vegan? http://www.amazon.com/Supermarket-Ve...ermarket+vegan
Purp likes this.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#23 Old 02-21-2016, 04:45 PM

That looks great, cherries. It's on bookzz too in .pdf format.
Purp and cherries like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page