After Suing Over Vegan Mayo Hellman's Creates Its Own - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

#1 Old 02-03-2016, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

After Suing Over Vegan Mayo Hellman's Creates Its Own

Quote:
If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em. Unilever, the global food and consumer products giant, said on Tuesday that it would begin selling an eggless sandwich spread.

Hellmann’s Carefully Crafted Dressing and Sandwich Spread will make its debut a little more than a year after Unilever sued Hampton Creek, the upstart food company whose Just Mayo eggless spread has dented the market share of conventional mayonnaises.

“We talk with our fans all the time, share ideas and begin to have idea of what they’re interested in,” said Russel Lilly, marketing director at Hellmann’s, which is known as Best Foods west of the Rockies. “There was clearly a lot of excitement and interest from our fans and that’s why we decided to take this step.”

Carefully Crafted will hit shelves in the middle of this month, together with three organic versions — Original, Roasted Garlic and Spicy Chipotle — of Hellmann’s mayonnaise.

Unilever’s retail sales of mayonnaise dropped to $839 million last year, or 46.6 percent of the United States market, from a peak of $884 million in 2012, and Kraft’s have eroded even more, according to data from Euromonitor.
Well, I think it's pretty clear who won this fight.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2016, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

Oh FFS! I don't know whether to feel angry (that they raised such a fuss about eggless mayo, as if it were an issue of great importance, only to start manufacturing it themselves), happy (that there's another vegan mayo on the shelves), or smug (because VEGANS WERE RIGHT, WITCHEZ!)
#3 Old 02-04-2016, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I just tried to go to their site and see what the list of ingredients are in their new egg free mayo but they don't have a nutrition label on it. They do on all their other products. Interesting.

I also find it deceptive that they advertise another cholesterol free mayo that has egg listed in the ingredients (with a note by it that says "trivial amount of cholesterol"). To me that is not cholesterol free.

I told my omni partner about it and he said he will stick to Just Mayo.

It's all about money for them, and more than likely their "loyal" customers are not going to make the switch if they are happy with the original Hellmans mayo formula. However, they might be able to win over those who can't afford the higher cost of Just Mayo or Vegannaise. Personally I will not buy their product, but in a sort of smug way it's good to see they are adding an egg free option. I still find their "cage free" "humane" "organic" advertisement of their sourced eggs a bit nauseating on their site.
Tom, VeggieSince88, Purp and 2 others like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-04-2016, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

I always found Hellmans disgusting! In fact I kinda like Veganese better, but buy Just Mayo because Target has the 32 oz size for $5. Be interesting to see how much "Carefully crafted" sells for. More like carefully crafty trying to get their foot in the door...
#5 Old 02-04-2016, 02:53 AM
Plant/Fungi based.

I just cocked my head to the side like wtf. Great that it's another eggless option but after what they tried to pull I'm not buying it and supporting them.
Tom, Purp, Thalassa4 and 1 others like this.
#6 Old 02-04-2016, 03:07 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I always found Hellmans disgusting! In fact I kinda like Veganese better, but buy Just Mayo because Target has the 32 oz size for $5. Be interesting to see how much "Carefully crafted" sells for. More like carefully crafty trying to get their foot in the door...
I suspect it will be priced higher than their regular egg mayo because it is "carefully crafted" and "non-GMO". I would like to see the ingredient list, too.
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 02-04-2016, 04:50 AM
an irregular

While I agree what Hellman's did with their lawsuit against Just Mayo was enough to put me off buying any of their products, ( I didn't use mayonnaise when I was Omni but for gross texture reasons!) i believe introducing a vegan spread to their line up will be a good thing. Take someone like my father; overweight, weakened heart from years of no exercise and poor dietary decisions, doesn't really eat very well but not overly bad, eats meat and eggs, etc. but in the last year is atleast putting the bare minimum effort to make some healthier decisions. The likelihood of him buying a jar of a healthier alternative like Veganaise or Just Mayo is slim to none, but perhaps if he is out at the store and goes to get a jar of mayonnaise and sees the same familiar brand that he's used for the last 60+ years, but with the words Cholesterol free, egg free or whatever combination of words they are using, I think he's just conscious enough to buy it, and I think that is the case with a lot of people these days. so maybe he's supporting a company who's practices I don't appreciate, but a company that can introduce small changes to peoples diets for the better, who may have not had that small change.

and can we take notice of @no whey jose 's pretty new avatar picture!
Tom, Werewolf Girl, Purp and 8 others like this.

instagram: Popcorncaptain

Last edited by Muttley; 02-04-2016 at 04:52 AM.
#8 Old 02-04-2016, 06:17 AM
No flesh since 99'

Mayo- one of those things I just couldn't ever bring myself to like.

I don't personally ever see something wrong with another vegan product hitting the shelves. Even if someone buys it for non-vegan reasons, they are still buying a product that is cruelty free. Would I ever personally buy this product- hell no! And I think this company shot themselves in the foot with the vegan market, so they better hope some of their regular customer base are looking for a lower cholesterol product or have egg allergies.
#9 Old 02-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
and can we take notice of @no whey jose 's pretty new avatar picture!
Aww, shucks!
Purp, LedBoots, Muttley and 1 others like this.
#10 Old 02-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if Hampton Creek will sue Unilever for stealing their idea.
silva and no whey jose like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#11 Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmm, I have two positions.

One is that I would prefer to support the small producer.

The second that as a consumer I'd like to see mainstream vegan products available for my use.

I know where I will fall, it'll be whatever is easier to source.

This means in reality that the vegan unilever product will win out on my grocery list.

Unless it is rank..
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#12 Old 02-04-2016, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
Mayo- one of those things I just couldn't ever bring myself to like.

I don't personally ever see something wrong with another vegan product hitting the shelves. Even if someone buys it for non-vegan reasons, they are still buying a product that is cruelty free. Would I ever personally buy this product- hell no! And I think this company shot themselves in the foot with the vegan market, so they better hope some of their regular customer base are looking for a lower cholesterol product or have egg allergies.
I absolutely agree!
I sorta fight with myself about whether I feel it's wonderful that even unethical mainstream companies include vegan foods, or whether that will dilute the vegan ideals.
I am very glad to see vegan foods sidle up to their traditional counterparts. Now I see the regular grocery store is mainstreaming more veg foods like Earth Balance and Daiya in the dairy section rather than the small 'organic and veg'n" aisle all by themselves.
#13 Old 02-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Well, in a way, Unilever is sticking to their original position: it ain't "mayo" if it doesn't have eggs. They're billing this as a "dressing and sandwich spread", not as "mayo" or "mayonnaise", and state clearly on the label that this new product is "free from cholesterol, eggs, artificial colors and flavors".

However, I'm not sure they realize they had already lost some of us as customers once we started having issues with treating chickens as egg production units. Whether or not Hampton Creek had ever come on the scene, this was bound to happen. If Unilever had made the outreach to such people some time ago, maybe Hampton Creek would never have had much chance. And now a bunch of us are mad at Unilever for the way they acted with that lawsuit. I'm planning on staying with "Just Mayo" and "Vegenaise" for that reason.
Purp, LedBoots and Thalassa4 like this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#14 Old 02-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Well, in a way, Unilever is sticking to their original position: it ain't "mayo" if it doesn't have eggs. They're billing this as a "dressing and sandwich spread", not as "mayo" or "mayonnaise", and state clearly on the label that this new product is "free from cholesterol, eggs, artificial colors and flavors".

However, I'm not sure they realize they had already lost some of us as customers once we started having issues with treating chickens as egg production units. Whether or not Hampton Creek had ever come on the scene, this was bound to happen. If Unilever had made the outreach to such people some time ago, maybe Hampton Creek would never have had much chance. And now a bunch of us are mad at Unilever for the way they acted with that lawsuit. I'm planning on staying with "Just Mayo" and "Vegenaise" for that reason.
I hope they put an egg-shape on their label so Just Mayo can sue them
Tom, Purp, veggie man and 2 others like this.
#15 Old 02-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Out of the veg closet :)

Yes I do think that another vegan item out there like this is good. Also, I think it's one that many omnis would eat simply because it doesn't have a really vegan-sounding name (like Veganaise). (I know some omnis that will only stick their nose up at something if you say it's a vegan/vegetarian item). If I really needed it I may try it, but my local grocer sells Veganaise and I actually love that stuff and that's what I'll stick to until they stop making it lol! Which is funny, because I have always hated mayonaise!!
LedBoots likes this.

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left fighting for it.
#16 Old 02-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Beginner

I also never liked "real" mayonnaise but love Vegenaise. Just Mayo is good.

I prefer my meat and egg substitutes to taste nothing like meat and eggs. Otherwise I can't eat it!
LedBoots likes this.
#17 Old 02-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie man View Post
I also never liked "real" mayonnaise but love Vegenaise. Just Mayo is good.

I prefer my meat and egg substitutes to taste nothing like meat and eggs. Otherwise I can't eat it!
Yes, like Beyond Meat chikken.Too real!
veggie man likes this.
#18 Old 02-06-2016, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Yes, like Beyond Meat chikken.Too real!
I know right! (one of the rare times I'll say it like that!)
My son really likes it- I can't go near it, the smell, look and taste is just like chicken flesh to me. I used it in a stir fry and had to pick out every piece and even then feel weird.
On the other hand, I'm really liking Beyond fiesty beef! On Taco style pizza and taco salads it adds that missing component. I've done the spiced lentils and bulgar and they don't do it for me.

Why can I eat Beyond Meat beef and not chicken
No, really? I think I have such anger from omnivores thinking eating chicken is so much better than cows when the devils advocate knows it's really worse. So many people think because they're small they feel less or something. Its more than a health thing
veggie man likes this.
#19 Old 02-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
No, really? I think I have such anger from omnivores thinking eating chicken is so much better than cows when the devils advocate knows it's really worse. So many people think because they're small they feel less or something. Its more than a health thing
I always thought that it had to do with health. Depending upon how the chicken is cooked, there may be fewer fat calories per serving. But of all animals bred and raised to be eaten, chickens pretty much have it as bad as any of the others, and worse than most... so I kind of doubt that concern for cows as opposed to chickens is a factor. I might be wrong though.

That reminds me... a punk group called "The Vandals" once had a song advocating eating the flesh of cows rather than chickens because so many more meals could be had from the body of one cow. (Odd that they didn't take the next step and figure, "Wait a minute... we could stop eating cows too!...")

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#20 Old 02-12-2016, 11:33 PM
Veggie Recycler

I'm glad that there will be more mainstream vegan options for other people. But I'm sure as hell not purchasing anything from Unilever, especially after they attempted to crush a small business. **** that.

But if Unilever has to exist, it's better it's peddling vegan.
#21 Old 02-12-2016, 11:41 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
I know right! (one of the rare times I'll say it like that!)
My son really likes it- I can't go near it, the smell, look and taste is just like chicken flesh to me. I used it in a stir fry and had to pick out every piece and even then feel weird.
On the other hand, I'm really liking Beyond fiesty beef! On Taco style pizza and taco salads it adds that missing component. I've done the spiced lentils and bulgar and they don't do it for me.

How is it worse to eat chicken? Both animals suffer, baby male calves are imprisoned while baby male chicks are killed. Females are raped and exploited and die early deaths.

If anything cows really are worse from an environmental perspective, they are the number one contributor to global warming via methane gas and rain forest destruction in order to farm them. Cattle farming needs to disappear quickly, from a practical perspective. And yes for health reasons, red meat is worse pound for pound. A human should not ever eat as much beef as they would chicken, if they eat animals at all.

The son or grandson of a pig farmer told me something disturbing the other week. You know the pork is the other white meat campaign? He said with his farming knowledge he knows white pig flesh indicates a sick pig. Unsurprising given the hellish conditions they reside in on factory farms.
#22 Old 02-12-2016, 11:58 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Unilever should be boycotted by any half conscious person because of their global oligopoly on food products, their dispicible behavior in attempting to push out small business to retain some of their enormous wealth, and they were caught having ****ty working conditions by Oxfam. Of course they outsource.

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainab...m-oxfam-report
AbirasDad and Purp like this.
#23 Old 02-13-2016, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
How is it worse to eat chicken? Both animals suffer, baby male calves are imprisoned while baby male chicks are killed. Females are raped and exploited and die early deaths.

If anything cows really are worse from an environmental perspective, they are the number one contributor to global warming via methane gas and rain forest destruction in order to farm them. Cattle farming needs to disappear quickly, from a practical perspective. And yes for health reasons, red meat is worse pound for pound. A human should not ever eat as much beef as they would chicken, if they eat animals at all.

The son or grandson of a pig farmer told me something disturbing the other week. You know the pork is the other white meat campaign? He said with his farming knowledge he knows white pig flesh indicates a sick pig. Unsurprising given the hellish conditions they reside in on factory farms.
I didn't mean to imply that one suffered over another, or anything about environmental impact. It's that people have the delusion that they're doing better by eating poultry, or fish, over cows, and not just a health thing. About 9 out of 10 times a veg'n disscussion comes up I'll hear how someone is either vegetarian, or almost veg- that they just eat chicken. Even with the horrors or chicken farming in everyones face people have a much greater disconnect from them compared to cows, as though they're not as sentient. With sealife it's even more pronounced.
We're talking 2 million MORE chickens slaughtered than cows!

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/re...ww.google.com/
Purp and Thalassa4 like this.
#24 Old 02-15-2016, 02:34 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I'm sticking with JUST MAYO.

Partly out of spite, but it also tastes good.
Purp, LedBoots and veggie man like this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#25 Old 02-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply that one suffered over another, or anything about environmental impact. It's that people have the delusion that they're doing better by eating poultry, or fish, over cows, and not just a health thing. About 9 out of 10 times a veg'n disscussion comes up I'll hear how someone is either vegetarian, or almost veg- that they just eat chicken. Even with the horrors or chicken farming in everyones face people have a much greater disconnect from them compared to cows, as though they're not as sentient. With sealife it's even more pronounced.
We're talking 2 million MORE chickens slaughtered than cows!

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/re...ww.google.com/

Yeah poultry is actually more disturbing in a way, looking at its little body or legs, sadly exploited. Though the disconnect may come from "boneless skinless chicken breast" treated with arsenic to look pinker.

Pork reminds the most of human murder, but poultry for some reason reminds me more of sexual objectification, for the display of the whole plucked (nude) body. Either way I experience a psychological disgust that I associate with suffering, murder, or human exploitation. I certainly wouldn't eat my cats hind legs, it's a horrible thought.
Purp likes this.
#26 Old 02-19-2016, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Was at Target today and thought I'd get another jar of Just Mayo. All the other mayos shelves were full- not one jar of Just Mayo- their labeled spot bare. Seemed pretty odd, till I turned out of the aisle to spot the end cap- a big display of Hellmans! Carefully crafted indeed!

Hellmans tried to get Just Mayo out of Whole Foods-- are they responsible for them being out of Target? I have never known Target to be completely out of Just Mayo, all sizes

Check your Target and send your inquiries and concerns!

On the bright side, I am glad to see more vegan offerings, just not unethical ones
Purp likes this.
#27 Old 02-19-2016, 07:23 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Was at Target today and thought I'd get another jar of Just Mayo. All the other mayos shelves were full- not one jar of Just Mayo- their labeled spot bare. Seemed pretty odd, till I turned out of the aisle to spot the end cap- a big display of Hellmans! Carefully crafted indeed!

Hellmans tried to get Just Mayo out of Whole Foods-- are they responsible for them being out of Target? I have never known Target to be completely out of Just Mayo, all sizes

On the bright side, I am glad to see more vegan offerings, just not unethical ones
I just bought some siracha Just Mayo at Target last Tuesday. They weren't out of any.

I hope that was just a freak local thing, like a missed delivery or something.
Purp likes this.
#28 Old 02-19-2016, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I just bought some siracha Just Mayo at Target last Tuesday. They weren't out of any.

I hope that was just a freak local thing, like a missed delivery or something.
Or people bought it and it sold out. I think that is the most likely.
LedBoots likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#29 Old 02-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Or people bought it and it sold out. I think that is the most likely.
I'd love to believe that, but I went online to contact Target and found I could check availability of products in stores. Out of 20 stores in my area only two had Just Mayo stocked.

I encourage you to check, review, and contact
Purp likes this.

Last edited by silva; 02-21-2016 at 05:05 PM.
#30 Old 02-21-2016, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
I'd love to believe that, but I went online to contact Target and found I could check availability of products in stores. Out of 20 stores in my area only two had Just Mayo stocked.

I encourage you to check, review, and contact
Rats. Well, gooberknuckles, tell the Target you shop in you'd like Just Mayo stocked there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page