• 1 Post By Shallot
  • 3 Post By Gwar
  • 3 Post By Crouton
  • 4 Post By VeggieSince88
  • 5 Post By Crouton
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 02-03-2016, 09:18 AM

Would lab grown meat be vegan?

I ran across this video of the world first lab grown meatball made from beef cells. No death required. Thoughts?

no whey jose likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

IMO, it depends on how the beef cells are sourced.
#3 Old 02-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Ankle Biter

Even if it were vegan, I doubt I'd eat it. I've been meat-free for so long, and don't miss it - ever. I don't think I'd add it back to my diet, even if it were completely cruelty-free.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

I'm very excited about this. I genuinely feel that it's the future of meat. It's not the ideal scenario (veganism), but it's a cruelty-free alternative for those who might never give up meat otherwise.

My understanding (which I hope is accurate) is that cells from a cow are only necessary to create the first batch, that the cow doesn't need to be slaughtered to collect those cells, and that subsequent batches can be cultured using either the original cells or from cells taken from existing batches of lab meat.

I personally have no desire to eat this, but I'll fully support the endeavour as long as my suppositions about the process are correct.
#5 Old 02-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

My post would be pretty much exactly what NWJ wrote.
no whey jose likes this.
#6 Old 02-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

I want it for carnivorous companion animals. My cats need it!
Other than that---ewwwwwwwwww
I really feel it would need to be so superior to real meat to change any omnivores diet. I fear it would just raise the desire for animal meat
Naturebound and no whey jose like this.
#7 Old 02-03-2016, 04:57 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I'm very excited about this. I genuinely feel that it's the future of meat. It's not the ideal scenario (veganism), but it's a cruelty-free alternative for those who might never give up meat otherwise.

My understanding (which I hope is accurate) is that cells from a cow are only necessary to create the first batch, that the cow doesn't need to be slaughtered to collect those cells, and that subsequent batches can be cultured using either the original cells or from cells taken from existing batches of lab meat.

I personally have no desire to eat this, but I'll fully support the endeavour as long as my suppositions about the process are correct.
^^ This.

I remember posting in another thread that my best friend asked me, back in the '80s, the then VERY hypothetical question, "if meat could be made in the lab, would you go back to eating it?" As I recall, I told him I really couldn't say for sure, because at that point--and certainly, now, some ~28 years later--the very idea of eating meat had become something I just didn't think about or want to do.

But I'd like to update my feelings on it--even though I still can't say FOR SURE what I would do. I'd have to actually be in the situation where making a decision was necessary, in order to TRULY know how I'd feel. Like NWJ, *IF* my understanding of how this 'meat' is created is accurate, why wouldn't it be an option? My #1 rule when it comes to what I eat/buy/wear/use is that no animals were killed in order to obtain the product. (I'm 99% vegan, but can't call myself vegan.) So if this meat is created without killing any animals, and from that point on is just replicated over and over again, why wouldn't it be just as much of an option as veggie/faux meat? or potatoes? or bananas?

However! The IDEA of eating animal flesh repulses me. With that in mind, I have to lean toward saying no, I wouldn't eat it. But, again, if it didn't REALLY come from an animal that had to be killed...then why not?
no whey jose and Gwar like this.

Last edited by VeggieSince88; 02-03-2016 at 04:59 PM.
#8 Old 02-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

What No Whey Jose said.
no whey jose likes this.
#9 Old 02-03-2016, 05:57 PM

I personally probably won't eat it after not eating meat for such a long time. Now if this is considered 'vegan' and the world in the future ends up only eating lab gowned meat instead of regular meat would that make them 'vegetarians'? Just a thought though lol
Gwar likes this.
#10 Old 02-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I wouldn't consider lab grown meat vegan. Even though nothing had to die for it, it's animal flesh. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing cruelty free advancement and I support it completely. Is it super ethical compared to the current way of growing meat? YES. I would definitely consider buying a "lab grown meat" based pet food.

I think if the people are working on this could really perfect it, I think it would be picked up by those people who have considered going veg but decided not to (or tried and failed) because it's "too hard". My only concern is that it would become the new "GMO". What I mean by that is that people would be anti-lab grown meat because it's not natural. Of course, nothing about factory farming is natural, but people (omnis) don't care about that. Regardless, I look forward to the day when people in the future look back at this time, and its factory farms like we look back at the time when slavery was prevalent (with disgust and sadness, of course).
#11 Old 02-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Out of the veg closet :)

Ya I think it would still pretty much be meat. And I'm trying to really stay away from a good bit of processed foods for the most part, and that sounds about as processed as it gets lol... I think if it would cut down the animal cruelty and omnis would actually eat it then ya, it would be ok for them. I couldn't eat it. It would kind of be 'pseudomeat' lol, IMO.

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left fighting for it.
#12 Old 02-04-2016, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Like @kyr656 , I anticipate an initial anti-science backlash from people who believe "real" meat to be a wholesome, healthy food and who hate the idea of eating something created in a lab, but frankly, I don't think meat eaters will have much of a choice. When we say that meat is unsustainable, we mean that literally. People are either going to have to drastically reduce their meat intake or start eating lab meat. If cultured meat becomes cheaper to produce than traditional meat, animal agriculture doesn't stand a chance.
#13 Old 02-04-2016, 06:05 AM
No flesh since 99'

I suppose it would be up for debate since the cells to grow it had to come from a cow, and some vegans will split hairs just to be obstinate it seems, but since the cow probably didn't experience much (if any) pain and wasn't killed, I think most vegans would find this stuff a more ethical alternative.

What I don't think you'll find is a whole lot of vegans who would actually eat it. I doubt most current meat eaters would be willing give up a real steak for a lab grown one either. While it is definitely an interesting idea in the advancement of 'ethical' meat, I personally don't think there will be enough of a market for it to ever be commercially viable despite all the "fanfare" this idea continues to receive.

Personally, whether grown in a lab or coming from an actual animal, the thought of taking a bite of flesh disgusts and repulses me. Not to mention it still isn't healthy or natural consume. I wouldn't even be willing to try it. I don't even particularly care for how realistic the faux meats have become over the years. I prefer plants that look and taste like plants, and I think many long time vegetarians and vegans feel the same.
no whey jose likes this.
#14 Old 02-04-2016, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

I agree that the target market isn't vegetarians or vegans, though maybe a few will go for it. I am leaning towards optimism regarding current meat eaters, though. I don't think that anyone really wants their meat to come from an animal, but a lot of people find it difficult to give up the meals they've always eaten. If lab meat is made widely available and easily accessible-- I'm talking burgers at McDonald's and a range of options at the meat counter in Walmart-- then I believe that most people will make the switch, particularly because environmentalism is catching on with the general public.
LedBoots likes this.
#15 Old 02-04-2016, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry - but GROSS. Eww. Do not want. It sounds totally wrong. Maybe it's because in my head I just see that pink slime documentary Jamie Oliver made ... bleurgh.

Also for me it would not work - I won't eat meat as it makes me sick. But I can see how it has the potential to offer a viable (and dare one hope - sustainable?) alternative to current agricultural practices.
no whey jose likes this.
#16 Old 02-04-2016, 11:39 AM

Great comments everyone. This is my 8th month of being vegan. I found this video particularly interesting because I think it indicates where meat will come from in 10 years. I can't say I wouldnt try it if the animal didn't have to die suffer or feel any pain. I might feel terrible afterward but this is a great alternative to pain suffering the destructive impact to the earth. I mainly eat whole plant foods but I have to say I love beyond chicken, I love cookies. So health wouldn't be at the top of my priority list. My biggest fear in fat would be how I felt after consuming it.
LedBoots, TailFin and no whey jose like this.
#17 Old 02-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually really like mock-meats, but I haven't eaten real meat in 10 years, but I think this is too real for me. I like the taste and texture of a lot of mock meats because they are nice without tasting too much like real meat. I'm not sure if I could do it, but it's a cool idea.
#18 Old 02-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
I actually really like mock-meats
Me too!

I often get challenged (not in real life, but online) with questions like, "if you want the taste of meat, why not just eat the real thing?!" My response is always the same: I never said I went veggie because I didn't like the TASTE of meat; I went veg because I didn't like the CRUELTY TO ANIMALS involved in obtaining meat. Therefore, there's nothing weird about enjoying things like Morningstar Farms BBQ Riblets, which are SHOCKINGLY realistic [at least in my opinion], or faux bacon, or faux cold cuts, or faux...whatever. I LIKED eating meat. I just didn't like the cruelty it represents.
#19 Old 02-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
Me too!

I often get challenged (not in real life, but online) with questions like, "if you want the taste of meat, why not just eat the real thing?!" My response is always the same: I never said I went veggie because I didn't like the TASTE of meat; I went veg because I didn't like the CRUELTY TO ANIMALS involved in obtaining meat. Therefore, there's nothing weird about enjoying things like Morningstar Farms BBQ Riblets, which are SHOCKINGLY realistic [at least in my opinion], or faux bacon, or faux cold cuts, or faux...whatever. I LIKED eating meat. I just didn't like the cruelty it represents.
Yeah I hate it when people ask that. But I hate it even more when other vegans ask it. When they get all judgmental about people wanting to eat mock meat. Not all of us disliked the taste of meat, a lot of us loved it. And when you think about it, giving up a food you love for the sake of animals is even stronger than stopping eating meat because you find it tastes disgusting, like some people claim. Mock meats are fantastic.
#20 Old 02-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, do you remember when low fat was the craze and they making things like ham, bacon, and sausage out of turkey was new? It was the new thing to be disgusted by and made fun of-"That's not bacon!"
Well isn't vegan meat like that? I mean, bacon isn't all about pig, it's a taste, a texture, salty smokey chewy crisp. Whether pig, turkey, tempeh, seitan (or even coconut- ) it doesn't have to be flesh. Same with deli meats, nuggets, burgers...
Now if they do come up lab grown meat, that will be flesh, and interesting if it's a steak anyone would want to sink their teeth into.

Wait, I just a request--"meow, mrrrrrow, mrow..."
no whey jose likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page