What Did You Cook Lately? - Page 8 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 259Likes

#211 Old 12-01-2017, 08:01 AM

African Peanut Soup

My Aldi had an amazing sale on sweet potatoes, so I pinned this recipe...but when I got to the store they were all sold out! Not to be deterred, I bought a butternut squash instead to substitute. I didn't have the Ethiopian Berbere spice mix (which is a shame as I'm sure it would be amazing, I love Ethiopian cooking) but I did use the soy sauce for a bit of umami.

When I first tried it, it was okay, but seemed to be lacking a little something. I thought about it and realized that with using squash instead of sweet potato and natural peanut butter (no sugar added) I'd cut a lot of sweetness out of the recipe. So I sprinkled in just the barest touch of agave and all of a sudden it was alive with vibrant flavors.

Delicious!
Spudulika and Emma JC like this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 Old 12-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringBuddha View Post
African Peanut Soup

My Aldi had an amazing sale on sweet potatoes, so I pinned this recipe...but when I got to the store they were all sold out! Not to be deterred, I bought a butternut squash instead to substitute. I didn't have the Ethiopian Berbere spice mix (which is a shame as I'm sure it would be amazing, I love Ethiopian cooking) but I did use the soy sauce for a bit of umami.

When I first tried it, it was okay, but seemed to be lacking a little something. I thought about it and realized that with using squash instead of sweet potato and natural peanut butter (no sugar added) I'd cut a lot of sweetness out of the recipe. So I sprinkled in just the barest touch of agave and all of a sudden it was alive with vibrant flavors.

Delicious!

I've made something similar to this in the past, and yes, it's scrumptious!
#213 Old 12-05-2017, 06:53 PM

Mushroom Stew

Delicious! And just the kind of thing I want in the winter...so comforting and warming, especially over a helping of garlic smashed potatoes.

And it was cheap, too. Total cost including wine and potatoes: $4.92. Made enough for 4 hearty helpings of stew and potatoes.
Spudulika and Emma JC like this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#214 Old 04-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

I made creamy chipotle lime bean salad using this recipe: https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com...me-bean-salad/

Then I mixed it with pasta and turned it into pasta salad, amazing! I'm having it for dinner with a green salad and baked potato and it'll be my lunch for the work week. Meal prep!
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#215 Old 04-12-2018, 06:36 AM
Beginner

I am not fan of cooking . I put vegan nachos into soyagurt ( my favourite snack ) .
#216 Old 10-02-2018, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been eating a lot of vegetable fried rice lately, homemade version of the Chinese takeaway stuff - but better. Today I'm doing tofu and vegetable fried rice.

* I boil up some short grain brown rice. I cup dry volume. Drain and put to one side.

* Then finely slice (almost) everything in the fridge (today it was: two onions, a bulb of garlic, half a white cabbage, three bell peppers, handful of mushrooms, one big carrot, 1 cup frozen peas).

* Next I crumble up the tofu (I press this for a while first, then pat dry) into a bowl and sprinkle over some nutritional yeast, black salt and vegetable boullion powder to flavour.

* Then fry up the tofu in a nice hot frying pan, so it goes good and rubbery.

* Then fry the veggies in a big pan till just tender.

* Add in the rice and tofu and heat through.

* Season with soya sauce and serve.

Last edited by Spudulika; 10-03-2018 at 12:19 AM.
#217 Old 10-02-2018, 04:16 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

At home this past weekend, I cooked some white beans (great northern) and blackeyed peas in my crock pot (after soaking and rinsing them) with water (and then some potatoes, after the beans has cooked a bit- I didn't want the potatoes overcooked). At work I cooked some couscous and chopped frozen spinach in the microwave and had my beans and potatoes with that.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#218 Old 05-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Oohmahgord! This is yumshious.

Made it for tonights tea. Perfectly set, savoury, excellent all round (though I did add extra salt and oil).

Served it with a can of ratatouille and soya-buttered baguette - perfecto.

Instead of boiling the potatoes, I sliced and steamed them till tender.

Next time I'm going to add other veg, like red pepper and peas.

Recipe found here: https://bitofthegoodstuff.com/2019/0...tato-omelette/

Last edited by Spudulika; 05-08-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page