What Did You Cook Lately? - Page 7 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 259Likes

#181 Old 09-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Making fajitas for tea shortly.
This is the fajita seasoning mix I blend up to use:

https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201...seasoning-mix/

We do a bunch of other things with the veggies, including simple salsa, refried beans, crisp shredded lettuce dressed with lime, and pickled jalapenos! Yum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 Old 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Dead simple, super quick salsa to go with our fajitas..

https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201.../simple-salsa/

#183 Old 09-03-2017, 02:35 AM
Same Ol Girl Ya Used Ta B

Today I roasted two artichokes in the oven with garlic cloves, olive oil and salt. I also made "fried green tomatoes" with green heirloom tomatoes from the farmer's market, dipped in whole wheat flour, smoked lemon pepper in sea salt and olive oil.

I live in a place now where I can frequently shop at the farmer's market. I have squash, zucchini, broccoli, cilantro and others right now. I'm so excited! I also have mixed dried beans and mixed dried herbs to make a delicious soup.
Spudulika likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#184 Old 09-03-2017, 08:08 AM

Last night I put whole wheat penne and a jar of basil tomato sauce and some chunks of zucchini and eggplant in the electric pressure cooker. 20 minutes later an awesome meal! All the ingredients were organic.
Spudulika likes this.
#185 Old 09-03-2017, 05:36 PM

I made this hot and sour soup. I had been looking for a good vegan one and this is it. It does say to add an egg but I just skipped the egg part. I was excited because I got to try a bunch of different dried mushrooms from the asian market that I had never worked with before. The soup was really good and super easy to make.

https://omnivorescookbook.com/vegeta...and-sour-soup/
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#186 Old 09-03-2017, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Nice recipe! Hot sour is my favorite, but I've only used regular rice vinegar. I'll try the Chinkiang vinegar next time I'm at the market. I've always used baby bok choy in mine but the napa cabbage would also be good
Ferncat likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#187 Old 09-03-2017, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferncat View Post
I made this hot and sour soup. I had been looking for a good vegan one and this is it. It does say to add an egg but I just skipped the egg part. I was excited because I got to try a bunch of different dried mushrooms from the asian market that I had never worked with before. The soup was really good and super easy to make.

https://omnivorescookbook.com/vegeta...and-sour-soup/
That looks delish! I don't have an Asian market local to me sadly, a bit too rural here, but next time I'm in a large town, I will hunt one down.
Ferncat likes this.
#188 Old 09-05-2017, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Today I cooked up some Tofu Sesame Patties for my lunch. I love these! They're quite meaty so to speak, not meat-like at all (nothing like a processed soya meat substitute) but substantial and savoury.

I originally posted about them here: https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60...ml#post4086225

But have tweaked the recipe since and posted it here: https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201...gan-wholefood/

This isn't the prettiest picture, and they look kind of craggy, but they're actually moist to bite into.

Last edited by Spudulika; 09-05-2017 at 10:36 AM.
#189 Old 09-06-2017, 05:52 PM
Beginner

For dinner today, I finally solved the mystery of why my lentils were so gross before.

I know it's probably common sense to most, but I simply was not cooking them long enough before! That is why they were so tough.

Today I cooked a cup of green lentils in a combination of water and vegetable stock, along with some curry powder, and let it simmer for almost two hours. Finally the lentils were tender the way I wanted them.

I just had some over brown rice and so delicious.

Now I just need to tweak it to make it taste more like the dal you will eat in Indian restaurants.
Werewolf Girl and Spudulika like this.
#190 Old 09-06-2017, 09:02 PM

I bought a cast iron skillet, so decided to look up skillet bread recipes. This one is really basic, water, flour, salt, yeast, and I added a bunch of stuff to the top (garlic, sea salt, fresh basil, and an Italian seasoning mix). I ate it with some fettuccine noodles and roasted heirloom tomato sauce. Excellent!

Next one I will make plain, so I can eat it with jam or anything I'm feeling like.
#191 Old 09-06-2017, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyblue View Post

I bought a cast iron skillet, so decided to look up skillet bread recipes. This one is really basic, water, flour, salt, yeast, and I added a bunch of stuff to the top (garlic, sea salt, fresh basil, and an Italian seasoning mix). I ate it with some fettuccine noodles and roasted heirloom tomato sauce. Excellent!

Next one I will make plain, so I can eat it with jam or anything I'm feeling like.
That looks genuinely brilliant!
#192 Old 09-07-2017, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday it was dank and grey, so I cooked up a batch of brown lentil and potato stew. It's really savoury and 'beefy' with lots of root veggies, rich brown gravy, and mushrooms (instead of beef), but next time I'm going to improve it by swapping the spuds for whole new potatoes that keep their shape, switching out 250ml of the water with red cooking wine, adding 2 tbsp tomato puree to the stock (this is something I've seen in a lot of beef stew recipes; I've been doing my research), adding in a good couple of sprigs of rosemary, and thickening the gravy at the end with a slurry of water and 2 tsp cornflour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
Here are the last two things I cooked (I've been busy this past few days):

Simple 'brown stew' with lentils and potatoes. Recipe here:

https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201...gan-wholefood/

#193 Old 09-10-2017, 09:04 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Been juicing a lot more as of late, so I decided to do some snacks from the leftover pulp.

I added the celery, fennel, romaine pulp to the food processor and added cumin, curry, cayenne, black pepper, dulse flakes, a couple teaspoons flax meal and hemp hearts, and a little water to help it blend. Then mixed it with a little over a cup of chickpea flour and spread it out on a pizza pan covered with parchment paper, and baked it at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Then I added the leftover apple/ginger pulp to the food processor and tossed in some cinnamon, vanilla extract, a tsp flax meal, a tsp. or two hemp hearts, and some apple juice to help it blend, then mixed in a cup of chickpea flour and a tsp. baking powder, spread it out on a small square baking pan covered with parchment paper and baked at 350 for 20-25 minutes, checking for desired consistency.

They were both delicious and each made a generously filled quart-sized baggie full of treats that I cut up with a pizza cutter. It's like a flatbread consistency. Meeting both the savory and the sweet cravings. Good stuff!

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#194 Old 09-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I've got to get this down before I forget it!

Tonight's tea was a rich mushroom ragu over wholewheat rigatoni. I am stuffed and completely satiated! Drizzly day out there today, this was the perfect autumnal dish to make me feel cosy and warm

I sort of borrowed from this recipe, but it's simple enough, though needed to make a number of subs according to what I had.
https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/mushroom-ragu.html

First I heated a tablespoon of olive oil and sauted 2 large, finely diced, onions. Plus the crushed cloves from a whole bulb of garlic. Gentley simmer / steamed this till nice and tender. Then added in 250ml red cooking wine, and 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes, plus 2 tbsp tomato puree and 600g sliced frozen mushrooms. I brought this up to the boil, then reduced the heat and allowed to bubble quite vigorously for about 30 minutes until the sauce had really reduced to a nice thick stew, where most of the liquid had evaporated. Added in salt, pepper and dried oregano to taste. Replaced lid and simmered very gently on low, while the pasta (250g of wholewheat rigatoni) was cooking (about 12 mins)
Drained and tossed the pasta in 1 tbsp of olive oil, then served the pasta with the sauce and ate it up! I will be going back to this definately.
#195 Old 09-18-2017, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Last thing I made was a Mexican slaw to go with black bean chilli. I've made it a couple of times before, but I've got the dressing just how I like it now.

Piquant Mexican Slaw with 'Honey' & Lime Dressing

Serves 4

1/4 head white cabbage, very finely shredded
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1 red onion, very finely sliced
Handful fresh coriander, chopped

3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp agave syrup (or preferred liquid sweetener)
1 tbsp finely minced pickled jalapenos
1 tsp salt (or less, to taste)
1/2 tsp ground cumin

Mix the veg together.
Mix the dressing together.
Toss the salad in the dressing.

Serve immediately, or leave for a couple of hours to marinate in dressing.

Last edited by Spudulika; 09-18-2017 at 11:29 AM.
#196 Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanveggie View Post
For dinner today, I finally solved the mystery of why my lentils were so gross before.

I know it's probably common sense to most, but I simply was not cooking them long enough before! That is why they were so tough.

Today I cooked a cup of green lentils in a combination of water and vegetable stock, along with some curry powder, and let it simmer for almost two hours. Finally the lentils were tender the way I wanted them.

I just had some over brown rice and so delicious.

Now I just need to tweak it to make it taste more like the dal you will eat in Indian restaurants.
Lentils and rice are delicious! And yes, gotta be cooked long enough
#197 Old 09-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a very lazy vegan so I present to you these not from scratch pumpkin spice pancakes:

They're seriously so easy!

Just use any vegan pancake mix (I used the Aunt Jemima 'add milk and eggs' mix, make sure you get that one NOT the 'just add water' one) and use plant milk to replace the dairy and a tablespoon of canned pumpkin to replace the egg, then sprinkle in some pumpkin spice seasoning (if you don't have that just use cinnamon, nutmeg, etc) and voila! I smothered them in maple syrup and went back to watching Netflix. Who said being vegan has to take a lot of effort?
oldmanveggie and Emma JC like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#198 Old 09-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

^Sounds good! I have some sort of mix I haven't looked at since buying it!

Sauteed onions, peppers, cabbage and chopped apple with those "little hat" pasta and Montreal seasoning and nooch

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#199 Old 09-24-2017, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Uh, Pulled Hearts of palm pork in a crockpot that was delicious.
Spudulika and oldmanveggie like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#200 Old 09-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Beginner

I always like to keep things simple, and that has helped me stay vegan (not that I have any problems with staying vegan).

Today I cooked a huge pot of yellow lentils mixed with a bunch of spices like curry, tomatoes, onions, and a little soy milk. I also cooked up two cups of brown Jasmine rice with kale.

This should last me a few days.
Spudulika likes this.
#201 Old 11-07-2017, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Last cook up was Boston baked beans for Bonfire Night. I did mine in the pan rather than in the oven (as per the recipe below), and it reduced the cooking time substantially (to one hour), though the onions were not fully softened through. As it was bonfire night we had them with baked potatoes (part cooked in the bonfire) and veggie sausages. I also love them with baked potatoes, corn on the cob and a big pile of mustardy coleslaw.

https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201...d-beans-vegan/

Emma JC likes this.
#202 Old 11-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Phoar! This is yummy :P

Spanish style rice salad

Spanish style rice salad will be on the menu again.

My jar of peppers were unusually soft so they sort of mushed up and coated the rice, which was unexpectedly good. I also used black olives as that's what I had to hand. And I put turmeric into the rice while it cooked, for that nice golden colour you usually associate with Paella (although this isn't Paella). The only other thing I did that was different was use my usual brown Basmati instead of white long grain rice. Super quick to make, took me under five mins to open the jars and cans! Lol.
#203 Old 11-08-2017, 01:06 PM

I made this yesterday:

Cheese Free Nut Free Vegan Lasagna

I used no-boil lasagna noodles, so I needed to add 1 cup of liquid to the recipe. Which worked out well because my blender couldn't break down the tofu mixture well enough to fully mix it, so I added a cup of water and it blended up beautifully!

I omitted the optional ingredients (I meant to top it with tomatoes before putting it in the oven, but I forgot! oops...) and forgot to buy mushrooms, so to give the sauce a meatier texture I tossed in a cup of Boca crumbles. It ended up absolutely delicious.

The best part was that Cronometer calculated the calories for 1/4 of the recipe (a HUGE wedge of lasagna) at 385. Not bad for an enormous piece of tomato-y pasta-y yumminess.
Spudulika likes this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#204 Old 11-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

This evening for tea I'm doing baked almond-crusted lemon pepper tofu steaks and this is how I made it:

400g firm tofu, pressed for an hour and drained. Sliced into 4 even sized oblong slabs.

Marinated for at least an hour in:

1 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground black pepper
Salt (I used 1 tsp)

Then coated in:

1: white flour
2: chickpea egg (1/4 cup chickpea flour whisked with 1/4 cup water)
2: seasoned almond meal (75 g ground almonds, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp dried oregano, salt to taste)

Then baked in a moderately hot oven for about 25 minutes, or until golden.

Mine looked kind of like this:

I've made this before but haven't got notes on how I did it before. I do remember it being quite a lot better. The result was a bit mixed for this recipe. I think they would have been much tastier pan fried, rather than baked. The coating was a bit dry. I might have used roasted nuts, ground up last time. Too spicy for me, so no chilli powder next time. And maybe a bit too sour with lemon, I might use a mixture of white wine and lemon juice next time. Could be great, just needs some changes.
#205 Old 11-13-2017, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Cranberry nut roast. It was yum! We had a Sunday roast dinner. for anyone who doesn't know a 'Sunday Roast' in the UK is a traditional Sunday meal usually consisting of roast meat, roasted potatoes, vegetables and gravy. The vegetarian staple alternative for the meat for decades now, has been nut roast (aka: nut loaf). I've a feeling this hales back to the 60's and places like Cranks which was THE original 'plant based whole foods' foodie place, established back in 1961, but it may go back earlier than that to those health movements of the 40's, or earlier.

This is my recipe. We really like this one:

https://pennyveguk.wordpress.com/201...osemary-vegan/

Emma JC and AspiringBuddha like this.
#206 Old 11-17-2017, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Pasta e Fagioli

I made Pasta e Fagioli again using the below recipe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
Soak 500g borlotti beans overnight and cook till tender. Drain and put aside.
Cook 250g pasta - small tubes are best but you can use other shapes. Drain and put aside.
Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan. Saute 2 finely diced onions, 2 finely diced carrots, 2 finely diced sticks of celery and 3 crushed cloves of garlic until tender. Add one heaped teaspoon smoked paprika and 2 heaped teaspoons dried rosemary.
Dissolve a vegetable stock cube in a BIG jug or a bowl, with one pint boiling water. Add in half of your borlotti beans and puree till smooth with a hand blender.
Add puree to pan along with 2 tbsp tomato puree and 250g passata. Add in remaing borlotti beans and cooked pasta. Heat through and serve.
The only thing I did differently was use a whole can of chopped tomatoes (400g instead of 250g) and blend along with the beans. Perfecto! Great for a chilly evening and mega savoury.

Not my pic, but it looked kinda like this (oh, and my pasta was Peppa Pig shaped ):
Emma JC and AspiringBuddha like this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 11-17-2017 at 11:57 PM.
#207 Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 AM

I got a new job working overnights and it's pretty chilly here so I've been making soup, soup, soup! One serving for me, one for the fridge, two for the freezer to be used as lunches.

I started with this:

Split Pea Soup

The cumin in this is amazing. It gives a smoky flavor that I associate with ham, so it tastes like the split pea soup of my childhood.

Then cooked up a bunch of white beans and made this:

Minestrone

I doubled the beans to two cups, used crushed tomatoes instead of diced, and doubled the macaroni so it turned out looking a lot like the pasta e fagioli from Spudulika.

And with some more of my white beans I'm planning to make this today (or possibly Sunday if I decide to goof around on the internet today instead):

Roasted Garlic Creamy White Bean Soup

I'll just add the spinach to the ones I'm eating now and just dump it into the leftovers when I reheat. I love soup.
Spudulika likes this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#208 Old 11-18-2017, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringBuddha View Post
I got a new job working overnights and it's pretty chilly here so I've been making soup, soup, soup! One serving for me, one for the fridge, two for the freezer to be used as lunches.

I started with this:

Split Pea Soup

The cumin in this is amazing. It gives a smoky flavor that I associate with ham, so it tastes like the split pea soup of my childhood.

Then cooked up a bunch of white beans and made this:

Minestrone

I doubled the beans to two cups, used crushed tomatoes instead of diced, and doubled the macaroni so it turned out looking a lot like the pasta e fagioli from Spudulika.

And with some more of my white beans I'm planning to make this today (or possibly Sunday if I decide to goof around on the internet today instead):

Roasted Garlic Creamy White Bean Soup

I'll just add the spinach to the ones I'm eating now and just dump it into the leftovers when I reheat. I love soup.
I would cook all of those
The last one looks fabulous though. Definitely going to try that.
#209 Old 11-20-2017, 10:31 AM

I made it but I was short a cup of white beans and used chickpeas instead and it didn't blend up as smooth as I wanted. I think that's my fault though! I would definitely go heavier on the roasted garlic then she specifies if you like that flavor. And she's right, roasting the garlic made my house smell completely amazing. As made by me, I give it a 7 out of 10 but I think the recipe is probably at least an 8 and I didn't do it justice.
Spudulika likes this.

#210 Old 11-22-2017, 08:04 AM

How about some chili for a cold day?

A green bell pepper diced, celery diced, 1 cup tomato sauce, 1 can kidney beans, 1/2 cup bulgur and water as needed.

No, I guess I'm not into complicated recipes at that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page